Science Forums

Obesity: Why are we getting fat? :epizza:

How can diet soda cause weight gain?

Download a PDF of this storyShannon Simmons

September 18, 2008

Question: Can drinking diet soda make me gain weight?

Advertisement

Answer: There is new research being done that is claiming that drinking diet soda will cause weight gain. How can something without calories cause you to gain weight?

The University of Texas Health Science Center studied 1,550 men and women to see the effect diet soda had on weight.

They found that 57 percent of those who drank two or more cans of diet soda a day became overweight after eight years.

This is compared with 47 percent from the control group who drank regular drinks. What does this mean and how can this occur? The answer isn't in the calories you are drinking but in how that drink might affect your body.

How can diet soda cause weight gain? | StatesmanJournal.com | Statesman Journal

A bit weird, but so was Einstein

The Strangest Factor Yet for Rising Obesity? - Freakonomics - Opinion - New York Times Blog

MSG - The Slow Poisoning Of America

MSG Hides Behind 25+ Names, Such As ‘Natural Flavouring’

MSG Is Also In Your Favorite Coffee Shops And Drive-Ups

9-12-5

I wondered if there could be an actual chemical causing the massive obesity epidemic, so did a friend of mine, John Erb.

He was a research assistant at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, and spent years working for the government.

He made an amazing discovery while going through scientific journals for a book he was writing called “The Slow Poisoning of America”.

In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies. No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so the scientists have to create them. They make these morbidly obese creatures by injecting them with MSG when they are first born. The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates; causing rats (and humans?) to become obese. They even have a title for the fat rodents they create: “MSG-Treated Rats”.

I was shocked too. I went to my kitchen, checking the cupboards and the fridge. MSG was in everything: The Campbell’s soups, the Hostess Doritos, the Lays flavoured potato chips, Top Ramen, Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals, Kraft salad dressings, especially the ‘healthy low fat’ ones.

The items that didn’t have MSG marked on the product label had something called ”Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein”, which is just another name for Monosodium Glutamate.

It was shocking to see just how many of the foods we feed our children everyday are filled with this stuff. They hide MSG under many different names in order to fool those who carefully read the ingredient list, so they don’t catch on. (Other names for MSG: ‘Accent’ - ‘Aginomoto’ - ‘Natural Meet Tenderizer’, etc) But it didn’t stop there. When our family went out to eat, we started asking at the restaurants what menu items had MSG.

Many employees, even the managers, swore they didn’t use MSG. But when we ask for the ingredient list, which they grudgingly provided, sure enough MSG and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein were everywhere:

Burger King

McDonalds

Wendy’s

Taco Bell

And every restaurant like: TGIF, Chilis’, Applebees and Denny’s use MSG in abundance.

Kentucky Fried Chicken seemed to be the WORST offender: MSG was in EVERY chicken dish, salad dressing and gravy. No wonder I loved to eat that coating on the skin, their secret spice was MSG.

So, why is MSG in so may of the foods we eat?

Is it a preservative or a vitamin?? Not according to my friend John. In the book he wrote, an expose of the food additive industry called “The Slow Poisoning of America” he said that MSG is added to food for the addictive effect it has on the human body. http://www.spofamerica.com

Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG at: http://www.msgfactscom/facts/msgfact12.html explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people EAT MORE OF THEIR PRODUCTS.

A study of the elderly showed that people eat more of the foods it is added to.The Glutamate Association lobby group says eating more benefits the elderly, but what does it do to the rest of us? ‘Betcha can’t eat just one’, takes on a whole new meaning where MSG is concerned! And we wonder why the nation is overweight?

The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn’t added.

Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity, it is an addictive substance! Since its introduction into the American food supply fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the pre-packaged meals, soups, snacks and fast foods we are tempted to eat everyday.The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added to food. They claim it’s safe to eat in any amount. How can they claim it safe when there are hundreds of scientific studies with titles like these? :-

‘The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for the study of exercise in obesity’. GobattoCA, Mello MA, Souza CT, Ribeiro IA.Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002.

‘Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats’. Guimaraes RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori C, Nascimento CM, Ribeiro Brain Res Bull. 2002 Aug.

More at:-

http://esoterickat.wordpress.com/2008/09/27/the-slow-poisoning-of-america-msg/

We can always live in hope

Chinese tea is more than dependable something to drink. Sounds same a TV commercial but it has passé living on more than billions of Chinese common masses elapsed millions of years. Knowledgeable tea drinkers can find the peerless of the finest in the Land of the Dragon. As a fellow Chinese tea drinker puts it "when I am resort after a busy day, I fabricate myself a cup of tea while sitting slanted on the sofa. It lowers blood pressure, protects the heart, helps to prevent obesity, prevents tooth decay and increases immunity, etc. Chinese green has more varieties than any other tea in China as well as any other country in the star.

food: Its instance for manor made delicious and spicy soups

Friday, September 26, 2008

Reduce Obesity

Phentermine is a drug used for reducing your hunger and weight. This drug is mainly prescribed by doctors to patient’s who has a high risk of losing their life because of obesity. If you are planning to reduce your weight, then, this Phentermine drug is the best to have. After a number of researches on various other drugs, we came to a conclusion to rate this drug as the best product. You all may ask, how actually it works? To answer this, people consuming this drug has to have it before their food and it is advisable to take it before 3pm as there is a risk of insomnia. Initially my weight was 136Kg, I was really very worried about my obesity problem. So, I decided to consult my doctor and after that he prescribed me to take this drug once a day before having my breakfast. I followed his advice for two months and my weight was reduced to just 80Kg. This was an incredible change. The secret behind this drug is, it suppressed my hunger, so I had a less diet. But, certain direction’s has to be followed strictly before taking up this drug. People having high blood pressure should not take up this drug as it increases the heart beat.

My Road: Reduce Obesity

Is MSG Making You Fat?

By Lindsey Galloway, Natural Solutions magazine

Sure, MSG (monosodium glutamate) makes even bland food taste better. And you probably consume more of it than you think. You can find it (or its variant gluamate) in processed foods ranging from Doritos to ranch dressing. But could this ingredient be expanding your waistline, regardless of your total calorie intake?

New research from China says yes. In fact, of the study participants, those who ate the most MSG were three times more likely to be overweight than those who ate no MSG. The study was controlled for physical activity and total calorie intake, and still MSG proved to be an overwhelming culprit for extra weight. Previous research had suggested MSG’s role in nerve damage, and some researchers claim it may worsen the progression of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s.

Knowing most shoppers would be wary of picking up something labeled with MSG, certain food manufactuers try to hide the ingredient’s presence under words like glutamate, hydrolyzed protein, calcium casinate and yeast extract, all which contain MSG. Even vague labels like natural flavors may masquerade its presence.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/is-msg-making-you-fat.html

A amazingly complete and frightening list

HIDDEN SOURCES

OF PROCESSED FREE GLUTAMIC ACID (MSG)

NAMES OF INGREDIENTS THAT CONTAIN ENOUGH MSG

TO SERVE AS COMMON MSG-REACTION TRIGGERS

MSG / monosodium glutamate -- hidden in processed food

SEE ALSO THE HYPOGRAPHY THREAD "MSG Chain Letter meme"

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/4781-msg-poisoning-chain-letter-meme.html

I have never had a weight problem and can eat anything, but in our family we have skinny and fat people. Before the second world war there were fat people and thin people, but after the war most people were thin. So to me the theory that once you add fat cells they don't go away is the first myth, a load of rubbish.

Secondly, I noticed when working in a prison as an RN that inmates treated with tetracycline for acne also lost weight, which would suggest a bacteria, probably in the digestive tract that the antibiotic got rid of.

Thirdly, I have also nursed fat people to reduce weight prior to surgery, and their food intake was limited except for bread and milk and the pounds fell off, which sort of blows the skimmed milk and bread limitation theories out of the water.

Fourthly, when the anti viral drugs came in my son in law was given them as he had the flu the week his daughter was born, and he lost weight permanently, which would suggest there is also a viral cause of weight gain.

Lastly, when I lived on the farm, animals were given antibiotics and steroids to increase milk production and make beef cattle bigger. We separately raised beef for ourselves without these additives and the animals were about a third smaller.

As we eat the meat, now commonly raised this way, perhaps these drugs also contribute to the fact that some antibiotics no longer work, and the weight gain drugs have entered our bodies and taken up residence through the food chain.

Re: New Theory on One Cause of Obesity at News: Breaking Health News

. . an article in the August issue of The Archives of Internal Medicine which discovered 50 percent of overweight adults and 33 percent of obese adults have normal blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar levels, which are indicators of risk factor for chronic ailments like heart disease and diabetes and often associated with fat people

Study: 50 Percent Of Overweight Adults, 33 Percent Of Obese Have Normal BP, Cholesterol, Blood Sugar Levels | AHN | October 13, 2008

Think fat just hangs around and does nothing? It doesn't

Q: Can you explain the new discoveries about brown fat?

A: While a white fat cell stores energy, a brown fat cell's job is basically to generate heat.

We always thought brown fat was only in human babies and helped keep them warm. Now there is more evidence that there are more brown fat cells in adults than we originally thought.

Brown and white are not really related because they don't come from the same precursor cell or stem cell.

Brown fat cell comes from the same kind of precursor cell as a muscle cell. Even though there are very few brown fat cells in adult humans, it looks like there is a lot of variability between people.

There is increasing evidence that some humans, particularly lean ones, tend to have brown fat cells mixed in with their white fat cells in some regions of their body.

So if we can figure out how to persuade the body to make more brown fat cells, we may be able to fight the tendency to gain excess weight.

Think fat just hangs around and does nothing? It doesn't - USATODAY.com

Posted: Oct. 11, 2008

bisphenol A

A retired medical supply manufacturer who considers bisphenol A to be “perfectly safe” gave $5 million to the research center of Martin Philbert, chairman of the Food and Drug Association panel about to make a pivotal ruling on the chemical’s safety.

. . .

In the late 1990s the FDA and other government agencies discovered that bisphenol A was leaching from baby bottles. It was also migrating into liquid infant formula from cans.

Since then, a host of studies have found that the chemical causes cancer, heart disease, obesity, reproductive failures and hyperactivity in laboratory animals

Excellently deducted reasoning Mike! Now if you can just run a thread on the economy and financial 'inflation' you'll have solved all the worlds problems and done me out of a job too! (The wife thinks I'm God 'Lord almighty, what have you done now!' is her usual quote when she gets home:lol:)

• 2 weeks later...
Excellently deducted reasoning Mike! Now if you can just run a thread on the economy and financial 'inflation' you'll have solved all the worlds problems and done me out of a job too! (The wife thinks I'm God 'Lord almighty, what have you done now!' is her usual quote when she gets home:lol:)

All males should realise and admit it is their fault.

It saves time.;)

If there are not too many more hidden surprises I think the economy will get slowly better when confidence returns. I would hate to have Obama's job (President) though.

This programme on how hormones effect share prices was fascinating.

They didn't teach that to me in economics class.

Hormones on the trading floor - Science Show - 18 October 2008

So eating too much fruit could make you fat - not only because of the extra calories, but also because of leptin resistance caused by fructose ingestion.

I suggest switching to grapes, which contain glucose, rather than fructose. Just to be on the safe side, I usually ingest it in fermented form. :yeahthat:

So eating too much fruit could make you fat - not only because of the extra calories, but also because of leptin resistance caused by fructose ingestion.

I suggest switching to grapes, which contain glucose, rather than fructose. Just to be on the safe side, I usually ingest it in fermented form. :yeahthat:

Many "all natural" or "100% fruit" juices aimed at kids snacks (poppers etc) are sweetened with "fruit juice concentrate" so would contain higher levels of fructose than you would get from 'natural' juice.

The sad thing about the fermented grape in the calories in alcohol :thumbs_up

Drugs and Obesity (again)

Obesity is caused by salt sensitivity leading to fluid retention and thus to excess weight. There are various causes of salt sensitivity, the most dangerous of which is the reckless prescribing of certain groups of drugs by doctors who have not familiarised themselves with the side-effects of some of the powerful drugs they prescribe - drugs like steroids, ant-depressants and anti-psychotics and certain pain-killers and other drugs.

Obesity and the Salt Connection: I've just been watching the River Cottage programme featuring autumn food on Channel 4 TV

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant prescription drug, sometimes prescribed to people doctors believe to be depressed, sometimes prescribed to help with insomnia, sometimes prescribed in the belief that it will help people to cope with chronic pain.

. . .

Weight gain is also widely reported by people taking Lexapro, Prozac, Fontex, Celexa and Paxil. These are not tricyclic antidepressants; they are SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors). As with the tricyclic antidepressants, the weight gain is because of sodium retention and fluid/water retention, and can be avoided/reduced by avoiding eating salt and salty food

Lose Weight - Eat less Salt

Given to overweight people because they are depressed about their weight?

To the salt arguments... Your body retains water when you consume a lot of salt in order to keep the right electrolyte (salt) to fluid ratio. You could simply drink more water, which would cause you to flush more salt when you go to the bathroom and consequently lower the amount of water that your body retains.

This is not directed at you Michael. All too often we have the latest diet guru/visionary/idiot say they have found the key to unlock the obesity epidemic. I think that all too often they see one little aspect of it and don't see the whole picture. Some of the links are just a little on the ridiculous side, and I think you would agree. Pointing to salt as the culprit for weight gain and completely ignoring the complete lack of exercise and 4,000 Calorie a day diet. :hyper:

I don't know if this has been covered already but good fat as in olive oil, nuts and avocados stop you snacking because they tell the body it's full, where saturated fats as found in processed food do not, which encourages you to eat more (American research - sorry no details, just a news snippet).

As it says this helps people trying to diet and explains why fast food is addictive - it's like being at a petrol pump, with fuel pouring all over the forecourt because it doesn't know when to cut off. Dieters should be able to stick to diets, if based on non-fatty foods therefore because it cuts the engine off, not lets it keep revving away for no reason, like a smart arsed show off kid.

Behavioral Link Between Breastfeeding And Lower Risk Of Childhood Obesity

ScienceDaily (Nov. 1, 2008) — Breastfeeding has a number of positive health benefits for baby: it can prevent ear infections and allergies, and lowers the risk of developing respiratory problems. It can also help prevent against obesity later in life, but the reason for this still isn't known

. . .

surveyed more than 120 mothers on whether they had breastfed or bottle-fed their babies, using either pumped breast milk or formula.

They found breastfed children could more easily determine when they were full.

Children who were bottle-fed with pumped breast milk were less likely to respond to the feeling of being full by the time they were preschool-aged.

Also, children who had a lower response to fullness had a higher body mass index (BMI).

Behavioral Link Between Breastfeeding And Lower Risk Of Childhood Obesity