Science Forums

Obesity: Why are we getting fat? :epizza:

More mindless victimisation of fat people

Wouldn't "helping" and some research be a better model than "punishment"?

The Union News.: Alabama to dock obese state workers

Not all fat is created equal

Would this be because fat cells are full of stored toxins?

The top quote sadly, is what I meant about the political answer versus the scientific answer: Kill it as opposed to cure it (Find out the cause versus attack the effect).

The way we live ensures toxic bodies and some obviously react to it worse than others.

Gardamorg

If you're 5'11" and weigh under 200 lbs you are not clinically obese, even though it might feel that way to you. Your main problem appears to be body image and self-esteem, and unless you can deal with it, nothing you do to lose weight or get fit will make you feel good about yourself. (At your age I was 5'8" and weighed 90 lbs, and no-one could convince me that I wasn't fat.) The problem is far from uncommon: Even some of the people I'd thought of as really cool at school admitted to me later that they'd had low self-esteem at the time.

One of the problems is that we want the perfect bodies and faces that we see on magazine covers - even though those people are the exceptions to the general rule, and some of them only get to look that way through cosmetic surgery. I worked at a magazine myself, and I've been at some of the cover shoots: First, lots of time is spent on make-up, hair styling and clothing for the model, and special eye-drops are used to make the whites of the eyes look as sparkling as possible. The lights are very carefully set up to show the best possible angle and minimise blemishes. Eventually the best one out of hundreds of photographs taken with a very expensive camera is chosen. Before production, this is edited to remove blemishes and wrinkles. The person you see on the cover does not really exist at all.

And please do take heed of Moontanman's excellent advice on weight, body image and attracting girls.

Another study on corn syrup( HFCS)

Summary

To summarize, the rise in obesity rates with increasing HFCS consumption was no coincidence. The increased popularity of soft drinks and HFCS-sweetened convenience foods led to a rapid increase in fructose consumption. It was this excessive fructose intake that fuelled the rapid weight gain, since fructose does not generate the same satiety signals as glucose. It is likely that sweetened drinks are worse than sweet solid foods, and that sucrose has the same effect as high fructose corn syrup.

Most studies of the effects of calorically sweetened liquids on appetite and weight gain looked at soft drinks. However, fruit juices and drinks also contain added sweeteners, typically HFCS, i.e. they pose the same obesity risk. Switching to noncalorically sweetened soft drinks isn′t the answer either, since artificial sweeteners like aspartame come with problems of their own (5).

Of course fruit also contains fructose ("fruit sugar"), but this obviously doesn′t mean that one should stop eating fruit. It doesn′t contain nearly as much fructose as sweetened drinks and it is a valuable source of phytonutrients and fiber, whereas soft drinks provide little more than empty calories.

Clearly, one of the best things we can do for our health is to stop drinking soft drinks.

Why Soft Drinks Contribute to Obesity

Another study on corn syrup( HFCS)

Why Soft Drinks Contribute to Obesity

You know what is funny. I saw a commercial last night with two moms, one says "Your not going to give your kids that are you? It has HFCS! :eek:" The other one says "In moderation High Fructose Corn Syrup is fine. It is made from corn, sweet like sugar, and ... yada yada".

My thought upon seeing that commercial was this... "Isn't this just recycled big tobacco ads? Didn't they try to convince people smoking was fine in moderation?"

:shrug:

You know what is funny. I saw a commercial last night with two moms, one says "Your not going to give your kids that are you? It has HFCS! :eek:" The other one says "In moderation High Fructose Corn Syrup is fine. It is made from corn, sweet like sugar, and ... yada yada".

My thought upon seeing that commercial was this... "Isn't this just recycled big tobacco ads? Didn't they try to convince people smoking was fine in moderation?"

B)

MMmmm

Yes soundlike

it

Google scholar on obesity

http://epsl.asu.edu/ceru/Articles/CERU-0406-224-OWI.pdf

Home page

Clin. DiabetesHome page

J. Welsh and W. Dietz

Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption Is Associated With Weight Gain and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes

Clin. Diabetes, October 1, 2005; 23(4): 150 - 152.

[Full Text] [PDF]

Home page

Am. J. Clin. Nutr.Home page

G. A Bray, S. J. Nielsen, and B. M Popkin

Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity

Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, April 1, 2004; 79(4): 537 - 543.

[Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]

Worldwide production of high-fructose syrup and crystalline fructose -- Vuilleumier 58 (5): 733S -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Mass spectrometric 13C/12C determinations to detect high fructose corn syrup in orange juice: collaborative study.

Mass spectrometric 13C/12C determinations to detec...[J Assoc Off Anal Chem. 1982] - PubMed Result

Pure honey was deliberately adulterated with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) at levels of 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, and 50% (w/w). Sugar composition as a finger-print was determined by HPLC for all samples.

Adulteration of honey with high-fructose corn syrup : detection by different methods

Metabolic effects of dietary fructose -- Hallfrisch 4 (9): 2652 -- The FASEB Journal

Conclusions Fructose intolerance may cause unexplained GI symptoms. The higher yield of positive tests in our initial study may be due to referral bias or testing conditions; lower test dose produced a lower yield. Nonetheless, recognition and treatment of fructose intolerance may help many patients.

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

High-fructose corn syrup and the obesity epidemic -- Jacobson 80 (4): 1081 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Conclusions: In school-age children, greater total and central adiposity are associated with smaller LDL particle size and lower HDL cholesterol. Overweight children consume more fructose from sweets and sweetened drinks than do normal-weight children, and higher fructose intake predicts smaller LDL particle size.

Fructose intake is a predictor of LDL particle size in overweight schoolchildren -- Aeberli et al. 86 (4): 1174 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

An interesting potted history of the human diet over the last 40,000 years.

There has been an "invasion" of children’s diets by soft drinks, fast food, and high-calorie poor-quality snacks, with per capita soda consumption having increased fivefold over the past 50 years and now comprising >10% of caloric intake for the average adolescent. Fast food has increased from 2 to 15% of calories in children’s diets in all aspects of society since the 1970s, leading to food high in refined carbohydrates, high in trans fatty acids, low in fiber, and low in vitamins. In a study comparing the daily ingestion of 1,150 ml sugar versus artificially sweetened drinks, the latter decreased calorie intake (8). Over 10 weeks, sugar-sweetened diets led to a 5-lb weight gain (9). Epidemiologic analysis suggests that each additional serving of sugar-sweetened drink per day increases the risk of obesity by 60% (10). In diet recall studies of 6,000 children ages 4–19 from 1994 to 1998, one-third ate "fast food" on any given day, in association with caloric intake of 2,236 cal, as opposed to that of 2,049 cal on days without such food products (11). Fast food eaters have higher BMI (12) and greater risk of developing features of the insulin resistance syndrome.

Prevention of Obesity and Diabetes -- Bloomgarden 26 (11): 3172 -- Diabetes Care

Results. Consumption of sugar-sweetened soft drinks was positively associated with calorie intake, weight gain, and incidence of diabetes. Total calorie intake increased an average of 358 kcal/day for women whose sugar-sweetened soft drink consumption increased from ≤ 1/week to ≥ 1/day from 1991 to 1995. Mean weight gain for this group, adjusting for dietary and lifestyle confounders, was 4.69 kg. Among those whose consumption decreased from ≥ 1/day to ≤ 1/week, mean total calorie intake decreased by 319 kcal/day, and mean weight gain was 1.34 kg.

. . .

. . . High-fructose corn syrup, which has become the main caloric sweetener for beverages produced in the United States,12 may also contribute to increased weight gain. Animal studies have demonstrated that high fructose consumption leads to increased energy intake, body weight, and adiposity.13-15 Although less is known about its effect in humans, research suggests that fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or enhance leptin production, two hormones important for long-term regulation of energy balance and body adiposity. In addition, fructose leads to markedly increased rates of de novo lipogenesis.16,17 A review of these and other studies on the impact of fructose consumption concluded that the long-term consumption of diets high in fructose is likely to lead to increased energy intake, weight gain, and obesity.18

Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption Is Associated With Weight Gain and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes -- Welsh and Dietz 23 (4): 150 -- Clinical Diabetes

micheal brought up a good point about Soda and Pop..

But many so-called "Fruit Juices" are nothing but the same fructose and sugar that is found in soda.

Basically "sugary" drinks are a detriment.

When you buy Juice from a grocery, its not usually juice. Its sugar water just like soda. Under a 'healthier' label of 'juice'

Read the Ingredients

Read the Ingredients

Yes here it has to say pure juice etc. But even then concentrate is used to up the sugar content.

We need to know about a 100 numbers for ingredients as the names are not listed (I wonder who thought that one up?).

Some more reputable companies do put names on

and nearly everything says 'may conatin nuts' as they are all afraid of killing a kid with a anaphalactic peanut allergy and getting sued (Mainly getting sued - we have copied that from the USA)

Almost anything ending in "ose" is sugar by another name (right Chemists-? would it be mainly corn syrup too?)

Almost anything ending in "ose" is sugar by another name (right Chemists-? would it be mainly corn syrup too?)

Yup, it would be a kind of sugar.

-ose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We need to know about a 100 numbers for ingredients as the names are not listed (I wonder who thought that one up?).

:twocents:

You mean like the number 43 would mean cotton seed oil and the label would only have the number 43? I can't imagine... Are there secret decoder rings?

~modest

:twocents:

You mean like the number 43 would mean cotton seed oil and the label would only have the number 43? I can't imagine... Are there secret decoder rings?

~modest

Page one of twelve

Food Additives- Numerical List

Symbols used in this list:

= alpha; β = beta; δ = delta; γ = gamma.

Code Number Prescribed Name

100 Curcumin or Turmeric (colour)

101 Riboflavin or Riboflavin 5'-phosphate sodium (colour)

102 Tartrazine (colour)

103 Alkanet or Alkannin (colour)

104 Quinoline yellow (colour)

110 Sunset yellow FCF (colour)

120 Carmines or Carminic acid or Cochineal (colour)

122 Azorubine or Carmoisine (colour)

123 Amaranth (colour)

124 Ponceau 4R (colour)

127 Erythrosine (colour)

129 Allura red AC (colour)

132 Indigotine (colour)

133 Brilliant blue FCF (colour)

140 Chlorophyll (colour)

141 Chlorophyll-copper complex (colour)

142 Green S (colour)

143 Fast green FCF (colour)

150a Caramel I (colour)

150b Caramel II (colour)

150c Caramel III (colour)

150d Caramel IV (colour)

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/Food%20Additives%20numeric.pdf

OR

Alphabetical

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/Food%20additives%20alpha%20list%202007.pdf

I won't take up too much of Hypography's hard drive!

Great system eh!

I like it, but they should maybe add a layer of encryption or perhaps a cipher to the code. How it stands now, anyone with the key can crack the code and find out what they're eating. That's not very secure :)

~modest

LOL

lolol ;)

Maybe a Nazi enigma machine LOL.

It is amazing what big pressure groups and corporations can get away with these days as they the only ones with the time and money and prestige and political donations to make their point.

The public just has the blunt tool of the ballot box which is also open to media manipulation. Imagine if one of the big food internationals decided to stop their advertising in press or TV.. We would soon have editorials on how good Enigma Machines were for food-additive labelling.

I notice my supermarket has less and less fresh food. It is all instant eating or instant meals or close to. Buy the spaghetti/pasta here the spaghetti sauce here. So if you can boil water and use a microwave you can cook dinner. That's what a lot of the advertising is about. A recent one is dumb dad cooking dinner being led though the process by his 10 year old daughter Many role stereotypes are still with us.

Nearly every processed food contains sulphur and MSG of some sort.Two ingredients that cause many people problems. Big Food keeps changing the numbers & names just when you think you know what "220" is.

The biggest selling book in Australia last year by miles was "The Four Ingredient Cookbook". (Partly also due to the fact that the authors promoted it themselves- not leaving it to lazy publishers )

Gardemorg, another diet that might interest you is The Stone Age Diet because it gets rid of wheat and dairy out of meal time. These are new foods to our system, historically speaking and cause some people problems with tolerance and weight gain.

As others have said self esteem could well be a problem for some people who feel they are ugly and overweight simply because they are more focused on their imperfections than just getting on with living their lives (In hiding because they feel inferior, rather than out in the world strutting their stuff, through overconfidence - it's not that they are more handsome/ pretty than those around them, it's just they don't care what other people think (laugh at life rather than take the criticism/ supposed standards of society, seriously).

I don't know if you're overweight, underweight or normal for your age - in Britain we measure in stones not pounds, so the latter measurement means little to me.

Develop your mind, body image will follow.

some more info first

Skorecki points to metabolic syndrome, the combination of insulin resistance, high cholesterol, abdominal obesity and other factors, as one such disease.

Mitochondria are the energy factories within cells, so one might expect that differences in mitochondrial DNA might be linked to different predispositions to energy-related diseases such as metabolic syndrome, he explained.

Archaeology News Report: Genetics Confirm Oral Traditions Of Druze In Israel

As the obesity gene existed only in the body, so scientists call it "fat gene."

The study found that obesity gene can promote the body to create a transport fat in the blood protein - "APO-D" gene. The gene, the more fat the more fluent of blood transmission, the accumulation of body fat also the more people will be obese.

Below scientists did an interesting experiment: Let a pair of carrying the obesity gene mice mating, the results of each roll and future generations of wandering round melon, which is tantamount to meat ball, and did not allow a mouse obesity gene for mating, birth The less fat in mice, each are very thin.

Genetic scientists in accordance with this model, can also produce the body of fat at 20 to 50 percent of the Feishou different degrees of mice.

Further found that the genetic obesity and the situation is slightly different from rodents, a generational genetic.

That is, people can observe, in a considerable number of families, fat grandmother would not normally be obese gene passed on to their children, but passed on to her grandchildren.

Scientists also found that obesity-related genes more than one.

For example, New York, a Rockefeller University research team recently announced that they After eight years of long study, found that a control appetite and energy metabolism genes.

It is said that this gene to the brain can send a signal to stop eating, so that the masters of the brain weakened appetite timely, in order to avoid excess energy if the gene variation, the owner will be increased appetite, Tanzui eat, and eventually become A big fat man.

Further research revealed that the gene from the 4500 base component, part of which can produce from 167 amino acids of the protein. If this normal protein synthesis, will be sent to the brain's signal to stop eating if the protein coding the amino acid composition of coding the first 105 amino acid residues of the unusual base, the signal will stop eating failure, leading to obesity.

iDNA: Gene therapy

Obesity / Weight Loss / Fitness News

Obese Patients Have Nearly Five Times Greater Risk Of Hospitalization For Asthma, Kaiser Permanente Study Finds

Obese people who have asthma are nearly five times more likely to be hospitalized for the condition than non-obese people with asthma, according to a Kaiser Permanente study published in the September issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 05 Sept 2008

Link Explored Between Obesity And Asthma

In the first asthma study that controls for risk factors such assmoking, medication, gastroesophageal reflux, and demographics,researchers from Kaiser Permanente have found that hospitalization forasthma is about five times as likely for obese people than fornon-obese people. 05 Sept 2008

Eating More Protein In The Morning Helps Dieters Retain Fullness Throughout The Day

A new study published online in the British Journal of Nutrition found that timing of dietary protein intake affects feelings of fullness throughout the day. The study concluded that when people ate high-quality protein foods, from sources such as eggs and lean Canadian bacon, for breakfast they had a greater sense of sustained fullness throughout the day compared to when more protein was eaten at lunch or dinner.

uva health: Medical News Today News Alert

More on Zyprexa

However, beginning in 2000, a number of studies linked Zyprexa to serious health concerns. In 2006, the Times published the first of its reports on the drug, which alleged that Lilly and its officers misrepresented or failed to disclose Zyprexa's link to diabetes, obesity and heightened blood sugar.

Tens of thousands of Zyprexa users, investors and third-party payors filed suits, including: 30,000 personal injury claims; civil and criminal cases filed by attorneys general; a securities class action recently dismissed as time barred by Weinstein; and the present class action, initiated on behalf of tens of thousands of insurers and unions.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202424340649

An obsession with diet is not healthy, either. Here is a test to determine whether you are in trouble, or heading that way:

Are you suffering from orthorexia nervosa?

There are a number of social/psychological reasons people THINK they are fat or ARE fat.

These need to be checked out with a competent psychologist (not psychiatrist) first.

. . .

new findings lend understanding about the origins of brown fat, which releases energy, in contrast to conventional white fat, which stores energy.

Alobar Greywalker: Magickal Record (aka Frater PVN, LA-BAJ-AL) - 'Good' Fat is a New Weapon in the Obesity Fight

This is an excellent article. Surprisingly it comes from Singapore. I never imagine obesity being a problem in Asian countries BUT> > >

5 Surprising Reasons Why You're Gaining Weight

Extracted from the article of the same title by Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD on WebMD.

Here are five factors that can cause the scale to creep up when you least expect it.

• 1. You May Be Gaining Weight Because of Lack of Sleep
  • 2. You May Be Gaining Weight Because of Stress
  • 3. You May Be Gaining Weight Because of Medications
  • 4. You May Be Gaining Weight Because of a Medical Condition
  • 5. You May Be Gaining Weight Because of Menopause

Read the VERY intersting reasons why these are obesity factors at

vinee1980.blogspot.com/2008/09/5-surprising-reasons-why-youre-gaining.html

MIchaelangelica's theory

(thanks to Care2 for the inspiration for this idea)

Pig and chickens factory farmed are routinly/daily fed anti-biotics.

Why?

because it makes them fatter quicker

Fatter== more $

So does that mean that animals (including ourselves) have bacteria that use some of the food that we eat.

What do the free-loaders give us?

Does it mean that we might be able to find a gastric super-bug ( or even a "wee beastie") that eats everything we do and we stay thin?

Move over Roman Orgies and Vomitoriums!

Pollution can make you fat, study claims

Children exposed to pesticide in womb twice as likely to be overweight, refuting idea of sole personal responsibility. Geoffrey Lean reports

. . .

Experiments have shown that many chemicals fed to pregnant animals cause their offspring to grow up obese. These include organotins, long employed in antifouling paints on ships and now widely found in fish; bisphenol A (BPA), used in baby bottles and to line cans of food, among countless other applications; and phthalates, found in cosmetics, shampoos, plastics to wrap food, and in a host of other everyday products.

These pollutants – dubbed "obesogens" as a result of these findings – are so ubiquitous that almost everyone now has them in their bodies. Ninety-five per cent of Americans excrete BPA in their urine; 90 per cent of babies have been found to be exposed to phthalates in the womb; and every umbilical cord analysed in the new Spanish study was found to contain organchlorine pesticides such as HCB.

Pollution can make you fat, study claims - Health News, Health & Wellbeing - The Independent

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Judge to Unseal Documents on the Eli Lilly Drug Zyprexa

Mary William Walsh is reporting for the New York Times that [A] federal judge in Brooklyn decided on Friday to unseal confidential materials about Eli Lilly’s top-selling antipsychotic drug Zyprexa, citing “the health of hundreds of thousands of people” and “fundamental questions” about the way drugs are approved for new uses.

BH&F Blog: Judge to Unseal Documents on the Eli Lilly Drug Zyprexa

“Objective documentation of the link between gastroesophageal reflux disease and obesity”.

Gastroesophageal Reflux | Acid Reflux

Study On Obesity: Fat Cells Are Formed At Or Before Birth

Study On Obesity: Fat Cells Are Formed At Or Before Birth | TopNews US Edition

BPA

It leads to obesity

Living on Earth: War of the Sciences

MIchaelangelica's theory

(thanks to Care2 for the inspiration for this idea)

Pig and chickens factory farmed are routinely/daily fed anti-biotics.

Why?

Because it makes them fatter, quicker

Fatter== more $ S

So does that mean that animals (including ourselves) have bacteria that use some of the food that we eat?

What do the free-loaders give us?

Does it mean that we might be able to find a gastric super-bug ( or even a "wee beastie") that eats everything we do and we stay thin?

Move over Roman Orgies and Vomitoriums!

Pollution can make you fat, study claims

Children exposed to pesticide in womb twice as likely to be overweight, refuting idea of sole personal responsibility. Geoffrey Lean reports

. . .

Experiments have shown that many chemicals fed to pregnant animals cause their offspring to grow up obese. These include organotins, long employed in antifouling paints on ships and now widely found in fish; bisphenol A (BPA), used in baby bottles and to line cans of food, among countless other applications; and phthalates, found in cosmetics, shampoos, plastics to wrap food, and in a host of other everyday products.

These pollutants – dubbed "obesogens" as a result of these findings – are so ubiquitous that almost everyone now has them in their bodies. Ninety-five per cent of Americans excrete BPA in their urine; 90 per cent of babies have been found to be exposed to phthalates in the womb; and every umbilical cord analysed in the new Spanish study was found to contain organchlorine pesticides such as HCB.

Pollution can make you fat, study claims - Health News, Health & Wellbeing - The Independent

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Judge to Unseal Documents on the Eli Lilly Drug Zyprexa

Mary William Walsh is reporting for the New York Times that [A] federal judge in Brooklyn decided on Friday to unseal confidential materials about Eli Lilly’s top-selling antipsychotic drug Zyprexa, citing “the health of hundreds of thousands of people” and “fundamental questions” about the way drugs are approved for new uses.

BH&F Blog: Judge to Unseal Documents on the Eli Lilly Drug Zyprexa

“Objective documentation of the link between gastroesophageal reflux disease and obesity”.

Gastroesophageal Reflux | Acid Reflux

Study On Obesity: Fat Cells Are Formed At Or Before Birth

Study On Obesity: Fat Cells Are Formed At Or Before Birth | TopNews US Edition

BPA

It leads to obesity

Living on Earth: War of the Sciences