Science Forums

Overprotective

Racoon

There was a was funny thing in the news here recently.

Kids shouldn't run on the playground.

It could get them hurt!

lets pass a mesure to prevent kids from getting hurt by running around at a public park.

And they are trying to pass a measure. :hihi:

ISYN (which stands for I Sh*t You Not)

Trying to overprotect our kids...

They can't go anywhere and be a kid anymore...

Don't run, you could get hurt.

Don't swing to high, you might fall

Don't play so rough, ....

Kids cant even go on a Merry-Go-Round anymore.

They might get injured...

Are we over-protecting our kids?

Its not the parents. I did wince when I watched my little one balance herself along walls and curbs but bit my tongue. Eventually you learn that 1) they're pretty indestructable, 2) The really bad stuff can't be prevented with caution, and 3) They learn to do stuff on their own and extricate themselves when needed. Risk is good.

The problem is the goddam ambulance chasing lawyers who look for anything they can to sue for money on. Why is there a sign? Because the city's attorney said, "if you put up a sign, then no one can say they weren't warned about the dangers of running and they won't get as big an award from the jury (and don't let them kid you: its not a liberal judiciary, its the stupid juries filled with folks who vote for awards because someday they might be up for the judicial lottery).

My poor sister, 15 and my parents won't let her do ****.
Boy and I bet she's pissed at you for getting 'em all paranoid! :hihi: :)

Former wild child,

Buffy

If there is something kids need to be protected from-> THEMSELVES.

Ask me, i gotta monitor my brother. And the meathead thinks i'm irritating...

Thing is, you gotta protect a kid who does'nt know just how BAD this world is.

But once they do get the things straight, it all clears up for us and them...

Playgrounds are dangerous! Bill Cosby did a routine on that years ago that will make you laugh and laugh.

I remember trying to do a flip off the monkey bars and hitting the ground so hard I thought I was dead or gonna die soon. It was my first (and worst) experience with having the wind knocked out of me. Now that I think back... that same set of Jungle Gyms allowed me my first experience of seeing a broken arm (on someone else).

Ok you have been warned.

Rough and tumble play is an integral part of growing up. The posts above made me think also of how we overmedicate based on a few minor and common symptoms.

If I sneeze, I shouldn't be loaded up with 14 antibiotics and three allergy pills... my immune system will never learn how to fight this crap on it's own if I do that.

If I don't fall down a few times and scrape stuff, then I'm going to be an emotional ameoba as an adult when life gets more complicated. Running/falling/bleeding is part of strengthening, not only our bodies, but also, our psyches.

You don't get tough by being coddled.

I mean... isn't it time to "thin the herd" a bit anyway. :naughty:

Hey thats absolutely right.

Even i've been feeling so.

We should'nt protect the kids so much that the pain of the world does not even touch them. But would'nt preventing them from excess danger, in the form of mild restraining do them a little good? I mean... not get killed by fire before they realise that it's too hot?