Science Forums

Why is Marijuana Illegal?

Racoon

As I remember, It is not an illegal drug, but rather a controlled substance.
This is correct. Cannabis is on Schedule 1 of the US Controlled Substances Act, which was passed into public law in 1970.

I’ve a personal anecdote concerning the legality of Cannabis. My father was an MD who obtained his license in the late 1950s. At was routine, and something of a ritual at this time for new MDs, he applied for and receive nearly all the federal and state licenses to which he was entitled. Among these was a federal license to prescribe Marijuana.

For a variety of reasons – the major ones being that he had only a vague idea how to instruct a patient to have such a prescription filled, the possibility of placing a patient in legal trouble, and the limited information available of the efficacy and use of it in modern medicine - my father never prescribed Marijuana. In the early 1970s, he moved his private practice to a new building. His new office was much larger, so he decided to decorate a long wall of it by hanging every license or certificate he had. Among them was the marijuana license.

As a teenager in the 1970s, I was shocked to see this small, framed document – which, I recall, was nicely printed, bearing a realistic green pot leaf similar to the ones coveted by me and my peers on tee-shirts, hats, and decals.

He explained its history, adding that sometime in the 1960s, new MDs applying for this license stopped receiving it, receiving instead a polite form letter explaining that the license was no longer being routinely granted, but required a detailed explanation of why it was required. Since hardly any MDs anticipated ever really needing the license, hardly any pursued the more complicated application process.

The same day, he took the license from the wall and rearranged the others to eliminate the gap, realizing that pot leafs, even on federal licenses, were not something a respectable MD has on his office wall.

I regret that, after my father’s death in 2002, I didn’t search for and take this document, which I’ve no doubt he still had, framed and buried in a box in his attic or his self-storage locker. It was a historic relic one would have a hard time finding in a museum.

This is correct. Cannabis is on Schedule 1 of the US Controlled Substances Act, which was passed into public law in 1970.

As a teenager in the 1970s, I was shocked to see this small, framed document – which, I recall, was nicely printed, bearing a realistic green pot leaf similar to the ones coveted by me and my peers on tee-shirts, hats, and decals.

I regret that, after my father’s death in 2002, I didn’t search for and take this document, which I’ve no doubt he still had, framed and buried in a box in his attic or his self-storage locker. It was a historic relic one would have a hard time finding in a museum.

So, whats the difference between "illegal" and "controlled substance" ?:) I thought it was both.

Marijuana being a Schedule 1 is absurd! :naughty:

If I had a Pot plant growing in my back yard, the Police could Arrest me AND TAKE MY HOUSE. which is asinine! :evil:

The fact they use this to grant authorities power to seize property is reprehensible! :evil:

Thats a nice personal story you shared with us CraigD.:)

But too bad that you no longer have that piece of Medical History and Family History. :(

Depending on the quantity you may get caught with (state laws differing) , Marijuana under Schedule 1 becomes a felony, right?

Which abolishes your right to bear arms, vote, or receive several Social Benefits...

Plus drastically eliminates job opportunity, because you are then a Felon.

Sounds pretty harsh! :naughty: :)

Well, I do.

Legalizing all drugs in one fell swoop would be less likely than simply legalizing Marijuana. It could be a first step.

As a matter of expeidiency, I would agree.

From personal experience, of seeing the effects of Crank, and the long-term effects of MDMA not appearing to be great :) ,

I think Marijuana is much more Safe. :naughty:

You cannot overdose. You will fall asleep before that happens.

True, tho there are indications that weed may not be quite as harmless as was previously beleived. However, its relative leathality is not a reason to control a substance, I think. I could go into any shop and buy drain cleaner or pesticides or whatever that I can use to kill myself in interesting ways, it should not be up to the state to tell me how to look after myself.

Marijuana grows. And Hemp also has many purposes beside getting high.

It could be used for creating rope, clothing, paper, oils, Bio-fuel, and many other consumer goods.

If Crank grew on trees, or X could be farmed, you might have a point. But I don't buy your analogy or logic.

Its all just chemistry. Just because one grows and another is manufactured, I dont see any logical reason to allow one and ban the other. After all, its all just star dust, right?

Just a thought, but if I were to make a completely synthetic weed substitute pill, with all the good effects of weed but none of the bad effects, and could proove beyond doubt that it was 100% safe, would you be in favour of legalising it?

As a matter of expeidiency, I would agree.

Its all just chemistry. Just because one grows and another is manufactured, I dont see any logical reason to allow one and ban the other. After all, its all just star dust, right?

Well, thats because you are not well informed or experienced.

Would you consider aspirin to be the same pain reliever as oxycotin (sp?)

Overdose. Addiction Potential. Physiological Detriment. Criminal Activity Level while on said Substance.

Reasons they are not the same thing, and should not be classified the same thing. :naughty:

I see very little information you bring Panjandrum. :phones:

you see, the US gov-t does not want its people to feel good from any substance that they:

a) dont already tax

:phones: can be cultivated in large quantities in a small space

c) make people feel good

d) they themselves did throughout school also illegaly

remember, the gov-t does not let people have more rights, that lets people more loose hence giving them less control of them, the gov-ts are there to take rights away from people to increase their control over their population....

P.S. finding a plant does not allow the feds to take away something you own from you, get this one right, unless you live in Texas and own a special title, your house is built on the land that the federal government allows you to lend from them, they own the land, hence it is a privilage, so if you grow an illegal substance on your propperty, you are violating the laws of the people that allow you to live on the land they own, so from the fed side, they are taking your privilage away from you for being a naughty boy or girl; taking back what they own to let someone else use, not take your property away from you... And since your house is located on their propery, it is infact theirs, and just like the property, they can take their stuff away from you!

I'm undecided about this issue. I think that it is hypocritical for the government to allow alcohol use but not marijuana because alcohol is way more harmful from what i've seen. But then again, I also don't like how marijuana makes people so lazy, forgetfull, and just different from how they would normally be. However, alcohol does that too. I also think that alcohol can act as a gateway drug, but don't see that someone smoking marijuana is automatically going to do other drugs. I think that legalization of it would make it so that people wouldn't end up smoking too much of it. But then again, my boyfriend operates heavy machinery and it makes me nervous to think of people around him being stoned and could end up hurting him.

The thing that i'm confused about is THC. Is this a chemical that's added to marijuana? would marijuana get you high if u smoked it without the THC in it? Can anybody answer this for me?

The thing that i'm confused about is THC. Is this a chemical that's added to marijuana? would marijuana get you high if u smoked it without the THC in it? Can anybody answer this for me?

It's part of the plant. The plant grows like any other... light and water. The THC comes in the form of these little crystals on the buds. The plants make it... sort of like humans sweat and salt remains on the skin when it evaporates.

The Plantae Magnoliphyta Magnolipsida Rosales Cannabaceae Cannabis (of which there are 3 species: indica ruderalis and sativa)

The drug usualy comes in form of dried flowers, hashish (resin mostly on the ;leaves), or various extract oils (hash oils). Major psychoactive is tetrahydrocannabilnol or THT, which can be deadly in quantities of 42mg/kg of body weight or more. The oils are produced within the plant, and are "released" as resin and stored in the leaves.

Bout it, for more info:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

After reading Cedars and (((Tartanism)))'s posts in Natural drugs,

It's agreed that Hemp serves many purposes.

The oil and fiber from hemp are much more efficient transfers into energy conversion and manufacturing potentials!!

So Why is it still illegal?

Kayra made a great post earlier about Hearst and DuPont, that shares my sentiment.

And I think (((Tart))) is right that we do need a grass roots campaign to legalize it.

As a drug, Marijuana can be taxed and distributed like booze and cigarettes.

As a raw material, it is almost unbeatable!

Latest News!

Mexico is legalizing drugs!! :cake:

About time

Small amounts for personal uses will not be prosecuted, for coke, weed, smack, and X.

US law makers are concerned about this precedent and Mexico's stance on the failed "War on Drugs".

This will free up Police and Jails for Large Scale illegal trade.

Maybe Congress will finally get a clue!

Yeahhhhhh! :beer:

While I don't care if Coke, Smack, or X gets legalized, I DO care about Pot legalization.

What do you think now?

No prosecution for personal use weed is already the case here in most of Euroland. In the UK and Holland they never prosecute for personal use quantities.

With this new law in mexico, I can see an increase in cross-border tourism coming. If the 'moral' arguamnets didnt move the us government, perhaps the financial arguaments will?

• 1 month later...