Science Forums

Why is Marijuana Illegal?

Racoon

im not sure if this was already covered. but the reason marijuana is not legal is beacuse it was used as a form of protest during the vietnam war. as far as i can remember that is all. it is slowly becoming less inforced in the states and as far as i know it is legalized in some cities already. but again, i am going on memory, so please correct me if im wrong.

im not sure if this was already covered. but...

It's pretty easy to check... This thread only has a few pages. :)

Anyway, it's pretty much illegal everywhere, but some areas are beginning to consider/allow it's use for specific purposes. Also, this doesn't even take into account the personal decisions being made by law enforcement officials when they find someone possessing or smoking it... Let him go... Cuff 'em up?

An interesting story (I think anyway):

A few years ago I did a lot of environmental protesting and forest blockading (East Coast of Australia). At one protest the cops who were really heavy (I was arrested twice and charged with "Standing on a public road") busted our base camp, taking all our lock-ons (for locking yourself onto a bulldozer or other machinery) and a large biscuit (cookie) tin of what was described on the charge sheet as "green vegetable matter". We had some quite powerful lawyers working pro-bono for us and after a call from one of our lawyers the head seargent had to come and return our lock-ons and tin of "green vegetable matter"! (he hadn't had a search warrant)

Later on, at the same protest we did a blockade of the main road into the mining area (a gold mine in the habitat of twenty seven rare and endangered species, two of which were not known from any other location at the time, and using two tones of cyanide per day in the separation process) and a mate who had gone up a tripod realised that he had a tobacco tin of "green vegetable matter" in his pocket. I was the police liaison person for the protest and not meant to be arrestable so he gave the tin to me for safe-keeping. When the cops got there I was the first one arrested (with my mates hooch tucked into my back pocket) and they then arrested everyone else (six of us in total).

My girlfriend at the time, who was also arrested, had a quite substantial cleavage so she hid it down there. When we got back to the cop shop (police station) she was taken to the bathroom and managed to hide it behind the toilet. I was the first one processed and let go (this was the 2nd time I had been arrested) but before I left I asked to go to the toilet. As it was a small country town, the police station only had the one bathroom so I collected the tin from behind the toilet and casually sauntered outside with it. There was a large grassy park outside the station and I sat down in the middle of it and rolled a big fat one to share with my friends as they came out one by one!

This discussion will go on for years outside of this forum and outside of the internet. Only stopping when the subject changes to "Why is Marijuana Legal?"

The only way you can help the cause is by helping the cause. Finding out who in your city/state/counrty has started a reform, or creating one yourself, with the help of a reform.

The only way you can help yourself is to know the system, and beat it. With help from, ding ding ding, a reform.

I'm sure you can find them yourselves, but if you're too baked to use your search button here is a start: http://www.norml.org/

And yes, the usage of weed is normal. Along with the usage, not indulging, of all drugs. That is, when taken with one of the greatest drug of all responsibity.

• 3 years later...

This is an article from Mexico translated for me by Google. What a wonderful thing! The Tower of Babel is collapsing?

"The war against drugs is not working,"

said Terry Nelson, a Texas state police for more than 30 years arrested many drug dealers on the border between United States and Mexico.

The best thing is to legalize everything from marijuana to hard drugs such as cocaine and heroin, said to the press.

Marc-Boris St-Maurice, executive director of NORML-Canada, a pro-legalization of marijuana that was involved in organizing the event, agreed with Nelson: "The ban on drugs was a failure. We must explore new avenues .

"Most of our meeting cree that legalization and government regulation of drugs is the way forward," said St-Maurice.

Many agree that the trial Emery seeks to silence the pro-legalization movement.

Emery has been arrested 21 times and jailed 17. His latest arrest was at the request of the U.S. government in July 2005 and coincided with the seizure of his company.

"Marc Emery Direct was the biggest business of marijuana seeds from the world, with annual sales of between 1.5 and three million dollars," said Emery proudly. Their catalog of seeds reached up to 540 varieties of marijuana around the world. "We had all types of people like: different leaf color, long and short varieties, resistant to cold and ice."

Google Translate

OK, I was looking for some mexican herb seeds. Not MJ! :hyper: --although if anyone has any spare. . .

Make All Drug Use Legal

PRESENTED BY

Sydney Opera House & St James EthicsVENUE

The Studio

DATES

04 October PROGRAM

Festival of Dangerous Ideas

Page Controls

Print this page

Send to a friend

Event Information NavigationDESCRIPTION

The war on drugs has failed. Despite the best efforts of the current and previous governments and the billions of dollars spent in law enforcement, today illicit drugs are cheaper, more potent, and easier to get than they were 35 years ago. Meanwhile, people continue dying in our streets while drug barons and terrorists continue to grow richer than ever before.

There is no medical, scientific, or legal justification for a war on drugs policy. With seventy-percent of cases in the criminal courts being indirectly or directly drug related, we could revolutionize criminal justice and substantially lower the tendency toward repetition of criminal or antisocial behaviour if we simply wiped out the drugs statute book.

Our panellists argue that this scenario must be the very definition of a failed public policy. They agree that all drugs should be legalized and the markets then regulated.

Dr Alex Wodak is the Director of the Alcohol and Drug Service at St Vincent's Hospital. He is also President of the Australian Drug Law Reform Foundation and author (with Timothy Moore) of 'Modernising Australia's drug policy' published by UNSW Press.

Greg Barns is a former senior advisor to the Howard Government, New South Wales Premier Nick Greiner and federal Finance Minister John Fahey. He is the author of What’s Wrong with the Liberal Party? (2003) and Selling the Australian Government: Politics and Propaganda from Whitlam to Howard (2005).

Norm Stamper is a 34-year veteran police officer who retired as Seattle's chief of police in 2000. He is currently a speaker for Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs), a 10,000-member organization representing cops, judges, prosecutors, FBI/DEA agents, prison wardens and others who now want to legalize and regulate all drugs after witnessing horrors and injustices fighting on the front lines of the "war on drugs."

Duration: 60 minutes with no interval

Sydney Opera House - Make All Drugs Legal

There was a large grassy park outside the station and I sat down in the middle of it and rolled a big fat one to share with my friends as they came out one by one!

Roll another fat one for the rest of us—it's Woodstock's Fortieth Anniversary! And please be advised that the brown acid circulating around is not specifically too good.