Science Forums

Omaha Schools to be split by ethnicity

InfiniteNow

Washington Times

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The Nebraska Legislature voted yesterday to divide the Omaha school system into three districts -- one mostly black, one predominantly white and one largely Hispanic -- in a move decried as state-enforced segregation.

NYTimes

Civil rights scholars call the legislation the most blatant recent effort in the nation to create segregated school systems or, as in Omaha, to resegregate districts that had been integrated by court order. Omaha ran a mandatory busing program from 1976 to 1999.

CNN.com

Coming from [Omaha Senator Ernie] Chambers, the argument was especially persuasive to the rest of the Legislature, which voted three times this week in favor of the bill before it won final passage on the last day of the session.

Nebraska Legislative Brief 1024, Ammendment 316, Section 19.2:

On or before July 1, 2007, the school board of

6 each school district having a student population greater than

7 sixteen thousand students shall submit a plan to the State

8 Committee for the Reorganization of School Districts to divide

9 such school district into one or more school districts organized

10 around the attendance areas of existing high school buildings

11 which are not currently being used exclusively for specialized

12 programs, which have contiguous attendance areas, and whose student

13 populations share a community of interest. The effective date for

14 reorganizations pursuant to this section shall be July 1, 2008.

Committee Statement:

Section 79-232 would be amended by eliminating findings language regarding desegregation and

racial integration, including authorization to deny educational options to parents.

Thoughts? Comments?

Can anyone confirm for me what year this is?

I don't see the problem. This is a matter for Omaha. Large businesses often restructure in an attempt to improve their financial picture or their competative edge. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. When federal mandates that were sympothetic to Civil Rights came into effect they eliminated the ability of communities to explore options that suited their own needs. Here is a community who, after evaluating their situation after 40 years of living by a dictated policy, have decided that enough is enough and they are attempting to try something different. Will it work out? Time will tell. But they have a need for change and they should have the right make the changes as they see fit and as allowed by law. If you don't like it then guard against it in your own district.

This is the real meaning of diversity. That people in different communities can have different sensibilities and differnt policies. And they can peacefully coexist without meddling in each other's business. What year will that be?

Bill

Communities are not businesses, and people are not items which can be sorted in boxes and classified. To divide people by ethnicity is to stow people together based on nothing but the color of their skin. I don't need to spell out what that is.

If this is a social experiment, it is extremely misguided.

This is the real meaning of diversity.

So in your opinion, diversity = sort people by ethnicity? Sounds like something out of a very chilly past.

Boundaries for the newly created districts would be drawn using current high-school attendance areas. That would result in four possible scenarios, but in every scenario, two districts would end up with a majority of students who are racial minorities.

So what will they end up with? New minorities. They "solve" their problem by creating new problems for themselves.

I agree with BigDog this way.

Maybe the kids can concentrate on school and learning instead of racial undertones.

If nothing seems to be working, and there is really that serious a problem, then I see not why go ahead and try it. :shrug:

Lets see some results or lack of results to see whether this could be considered a socioeconomic remedy for struggling communities with an ever changing identity due to population growth.

Schools just can't do enough, with the money they get, to solve parenting issues that go to school with their kids...???

If this decreases problematic behavior, then we'll see.

Forget racial. Lets see some results and higher academic achievement :phones: .

Communities are not businesses, and people are not items which can be sorted in boxes and classified. To divide people by ethnicity is to stow people together based on nothing but the color of their skin. I don't need to spell out what that is.

If this is a social experiment, it is extremely misguided.

The business analogy is illustrating that change happens and is necessary to stay competative in any venture. Schools are in the business of educating young people. When they are not doing as well at it as other geographic locations they lose jobs to other areas. To keep industry growing and avoid becoming a depressed local economy you need to keep your education standards high. Omaha is trying to stay out of that trap.

As for segregation, they are not being sorted by the color of their skin. They are being sorted by what school they live closest to AND currently attend. That happens to coincide with where people have chosen to live and what school they chose to attend now. That happens to coincide with people's choice to be around others of their own ethnic origin. Do you wish to mandate that you cannot move someplace if too many other people like you already live there? And mandate that people be relocated for the purpose of "mixing everyone up" even when it is against their will?

So in your opinion, diversity = sort people by ethnicity? Sounds like something out of a very chilly past.

No. My definition of diversity is that communities can have different ideals and practices from one another at the choice of those living in the communities. Here Omaha has decided to divide the district into smaller districts to give the individual school systems greater control over their own budgets and policies. This is in an attempt to improve the situation for all of the students in the school system. Because the city is, by people's own choice, divided into minority dense areas that redistricting will result in minorities becoming majorities in at least two of the new districts. So what? So they should cancel their plans because of where people choose to live and who they choose to live with?

So what will they end up with? New minorities. They "solve" their problem by creating new problems for themselves.

Why are you assuming that this lead to new problems? There is no shufflinng of the schools that the kids attend happening at all. All of the same students will be going to all of the same schools. All that changes is that the budget and policy decisions get closer to the students. If problems do occur the parents and voters in the area will be in a stronger position to rectify those problems.

Bill

Brown v. Board of Education

Therefore, we hold that the plaintiffs and others similarly situated for whom the actions have been brought are, by reason of the segregation complained of, deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment. This disposition makes unnecessary any discussion whether such segregation also violates the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Section 1:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Racial Transformation and the Changing Nature of Segregation

The findings show that the white-black paradigm used to describe segregation patterns in the past is no longer applicable to current reality,” according to Chungmei Lee, co-author of the study. “Students who attend segregated schools will become increasingly ill-prepared to participate in a diverse society.

Denver Public Schools: Resegregation, Latino Style:

Unless we actively take measures to create more integrated schools for all students, the adverse impacts of segregation will disproportionately affect minority students.

<...>

We know from the desegregation literature that segregation tends to be self-perpetrating, such that those who experience desegregated environments earlier in life are more likely to end up in more integrated environments later in life.28 In an increasingly multiracial society, public schools can play a critical role in preparing all individuals to live and work among people of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.

Another excellent site for research:

The Civil Rights Project: HARVARD UNIVERSITY

Does anyone have a link to a map on what is forecast for the boundries of these schools?

Does anyone know how the funding is going to be allocated?

Does anyone know how many counties are involved?

That's just it... they're redrawing the boundaries for this. The map hasn't been created yet. That's the bit I posted above which will be due in July 2008.

each school district having a student population greater than sixteen thousand students shall submit a plan to the State Committee for the Reorganization of School Districts to divide such school district

As for funding, you may see the following:

LB1024 - Fiscal Note

That happens to coincide with people's choice to be around others of their own ethnic origin.

Do you happen to know for a fact that people in Omaha group themselves by ethnic relation, particularly when they choose where to live?

Do you wish to mandate that you cannot move someplace if too many other people like you already live there? And mandate that people be relocated for the purpose of "mixing everyone up" even when it is against their will?

That's something I have not said anything about and I fail to see how you can put words in my mouth here.

My definition of diversity is that communities can have different ideals and practices from one another at the choice of those living in the communities.

Interesting. So if I choose to create an all-white settlement in a suburb of New York, then that is my choice and nobody can say or do anything about it?

Why are you assuming that this lead to new problems? There is no shufflinng of the schools that the kids attend happening at all.

I assume this will lead to new problems because all my experience tells me that playing the segregation game never plays out as expected, unless you want segregation.

And yes there is shuffling. Did you read the quote I posted, from Washington Times? If there was no shuffling, there would be no change.

Do you happen to know for a fact that people in Omaha group themselves by ethnic relation, particularly when they choose where to live?

That's something I have not said anything about and I fail to see how you can put words in my mouth here.

I am not trying to put words in your mouth. The articles state that the bussing ended in 1999 and that the new districts would be based upon where the kids are attending school now - close to their homes. Since there are no laws or forces dictating where people can and can't live then people are living where they have chosen to live. You suggested that this was segragation. The only alternative to keeping the kids in schools close to their homes is to move them someplace else. I was just questioning if that was your preference.

Interesting. So if I choose to create an all-white settlement in a suburb of New York, then that is my choice and nobody can say or do anything about it?

Not quite. If you bought a big plot of land and called it a settlement. As a private owner you could choose to admit or decline admission to anyone you choose, for whatever reason you choose. This is quite legal, however is very taboo. Most exclusive groups have not been opened by courts, but by public opinion and protests.

I assume this will lead to new problems because all my experience tells me that playing the segregation game never plays out as expected, unless you want segregation.

And yes there is shuffling. Did you read the quote I posted, from Washington Times? If there was no shuffling, there would be no change.

I read the quote, and I think we have different understandings of what is being done. There is no shuffling in the plan. The press is hyping this into something that it is not. And beyond that Nebraska allows school choice including funding for transportation for low income kids between districts. So any kid in the area could still choose to attend any of the schools. So again, nothing changes except the number of school boards.

Bill

If you bought a big plot of land and called it a settlement. As a private owner you could choose to admit or decline admission to anyone you choose, for whatever reason you choose.

Are you sure this would work with the fair housing laws?

The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:

• Refuse to rent or sell housing
  • Refuse to negotiate for housing
  • Make housing unavailable
  • Deny a dwelling
  • Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
  • Provide different housing services or facilities
  • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
  • For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
  • Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.

I don't know if a 'settlement' would be considered a private club/organization unless it was owned by an organization and not an individual. However, one could always set up an organization in which he or she was the sole owner.

OK after reading most of the links posted by IN. I have to admit I am unsure exactly what the funding is going to turn out to be. It seems they plan to give extra monies to schools based on ESL numbers, so at least they are taking into consideration the extra expense of teaching people who are ESL students.

I can see an advantage to this plan if the schools are all incorporated into one district, the property taxes and state funds can be divided per student rather than having multiple districts who have advantage/disadvantage via base property value.

I can also see a cost savings if the majority of ESL persons are in one or two school boundries. The need for having many positions to cover the current 16 (?) school districts may be reduced by having the majority of students who need these services concentrated in certain schools, who can then focus on the skills needed by teachers in a more cost effective method. This may actually produce better results for the students who need ESL help.

If the money allocations are equal in this new districting idea, and the individual school groupings themselves are allowed to spend the money on what they think will work, why shouldnt we give this an opportunity to work? Maybe this idea is on track for a better future for all these children.

Now if this interpretation of the plan is incorrect on my part, and the moneys would not be divided equally among each school groupings base student numbers, and instead, the moneys would be divided by school groupings property tax values, then I would retract all I have said and agree that this plan is most likely a disadvantage to the school groupings that hold a majority of minorities.

I don't see the problem.

I do. School districts should simply be set up geographically to serve the community they're located in. If an all white family wants to live in an all black neighborhood then their children will go to a predominately black school because they choose to live there, not because the government decided to bus their kids across town. Let people choose the community they want to live in and provide them schools in their community. There should be no forced integration or segregation, it deprives people of liberty.

Elementary school teachers, Middle school teachers, and High school teachers all deserve raises or pay increases! :)

What a tough job. ;)

What do the teachers in Omaha have to say about it?

I haven't seen/read that bit yet...

And why not try it there to see what happens? Experiment...:) :cup:

Lets see where test scores and achievement go. Lets see the problems that may occur.

People of Omaha have the right to try and fix their problems the way they see fit. Maybe its not a great idea,or maybe it will fix budgets.

Its not like those kids won't interract outside of school and in the real world...

You ever get one of those gut feelings which, through life experience, you've learned to trust?

Well, I spent a lot of my day yesterday researching this. I read articles, I read precedents, I even read the actual logs from the Nebraska Legislature. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something or misinterpreting the situation. After all that drilling-down on the issue, my gut feeling is:

This is just Wrong. It's 2006, and so many aspects of our society are displaying characteristics which should have evaporated millenia ago.

I do. School districts should simply be set up geographically to serve the community they're located in. If an all white family wants to live in an all black neighborhood then their children will go to a predominately black school because they choose to live there, not because the government decided to bus their kids across town. Let people choose the community they want to live in and provide them schools in their community. There should be no forced integration or segregation, it deprives people of liberty.

The plan is to do exactly what you are describing. That is why I do not see the problem. They have gotten away from the government forced bussing to force integration since 1999. Since then the students have started attending the schools that are local to their neighborhood. Now they are taking the next step of dividing the district into geographic areas around the schools to allow better local control of the money and policy.

Bill