Science Forums

Omaha Schools to be split by ethnicity

InfiniteNow

You ever get one of those gut feelings which, through life experience, you've learned to trust?

Well, I spent a lot of my day yesterday researching this. I read articles, I read precedents, I even read the actual logs from the Nebraska Legislature. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something or misinterpreting the situation. After all that drilling-down on the issue, my gut feeling is:

This is just Wrong. It's 2006, and so many aspects of our society are displaying characteristics which should have evaporated millenia ago.

What exactly did you see as wrong in the writings you read? As I said, I am not sure I was interpreting what I read correctly. Do you see things in what you read that indicate the attempt is not what I posted my interpretation of it is?

You ever get one of those gut feelings which, through life experience, you've learned to trust?

This is just Wrong. It's 2006, and so many aspects of our society are displaying characteristics which should have evaporated millenia ago.

You could very well be right IN. and in fact if your gut-feeling tells you this, then it would be impossible to convince you otherwise.

I am less learned on this topic, but it seems Black Senator Ernie Chambers is for it. He wants Black students taught by Black teachers... :)

Its OK for people to be with their own people. (racially and ethnically speaking) Especially with those they live around.

Integration will occur throughout their lives. Its unavoidable.

Racial Discrimination is wrong. Underfunding minority population schools is also wrong.

Schools and Politics, Schools and religions.

Schools babysitting peoples kids.

Schools are in a tough bind. :)

I believe it was the New York Times article link in InfiniteNows 1st post...

After going through the trouble of having to register with the NYT website, I could read the article again.

But the legislation changed radically with a two-page amendment by Mr. Chambers that carved the Omaha schools into racially identifiable districts, a move he told his colleagues would allow black educators to control schools in black areas.

This is the closest thing I could find to the statement you made. It is not a quote. But it does imply the desire for blacks to have a greater influence on the policies where most black children go. It would be interesting to hear the explanation given by Mr. Chambers that was boiled down to the nine bolded words.

Bill

After going through the trouble of having to register with the NYT website, I could read the article again.

This is the closest thing I could find to the statement you made. It is not a quote. But it does imply the desire for blacks to have a greater influence on the policies where most black children go. It would be interesting to hear the explanation given by Mr. Chambers that was boiled down to the nine bolded words.

Bill

Which is why the angriest black man in Nebraska was a force behind the passing! :cup:

Reading between the lines in Newspapers,

Racoon

The plan is to do exactly what you are describing.

Then maybe I'm missing something. I thought the plan was to divide the districts into racial divisions forcing segregation and I'm saying that there should be no segregation or integration, only community schools that serve all kids of the community regardless or race, creed, ethnic origin, etc..

Then maybe I'm missing something. I thought the plan was to divide the districts into racial divisions forcing segregation and I'm saying that there should be no segregation or integration, only community schools that serve all kids of the community regardless or race, creed, ethnic origin, etc..
I'm with you 100% on that question C1ay; I fear that this action will result in a tragic failure..........just my opinion..................Infy

I'm with you 100% on that question C1ay; I fear that this action will result in a tragic failure..........just my opinion..................Infy

Lets see what happens. Its not 1950.

You could be right Infy.

But like I said with Senator Chambers, He supports it.

People of Omaha should at least try to work this out.

If it doesn't work, back to the district drawing board. :hihi:

If it does, perhaps it could be a model for similar communitites.

I agree with Clay in this should not be a Racial/Ethnicity issue, as opposed to an educational, economic, problem-solving issue.

I tried to anticipate these issues, as well as the impact, in post #8.

Students who attend segregated schools will become increasingly ill-prepared to participate in a diverse society.

In an increasingly multiracial society, public schools can play a critical role in preparing all individuals to live and work among people of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.

One step forward, two steps backward I suppose.

I tried to anticipate these issues, as well as the impact, in post #8.

One step forward, two steps backward I suppose.

Schools are ill-prepared to begin with.

If it isn't funding issues,

its student behavior issues.

then add in all the Religion and Politics.

Lets try and see if some experimentation can work in an increasingly Varied and multi-national populaton.

They didn't have the Latino factor 50 years ago. They didn't have the immigration issues and ESL barriers back then either. (at least not with todays numbers)

Give it a shot.

If it stinks, and things get Worse - then you can say you were right. :hihi:

Integration will occur regardless if little Johnny goes to school with a Black kid and a Mexican kid.

The point of School is to Learn! Math and Science, History and Reading.

And English ??

They passed the Bill. Some minorities even supported it.

Lets take a Wait and See! :naughty:

I don't see the problem.
Nor do I.

So long at the “geographic districts” are simply that, and not a form of gerrymandering – which thus far doesn’t appear to be the case - and so long as the schools are of roughly equal size and funded at roughtly equal per-student rates, I can see no basis for allegations of racism. If evidence of any such skullduggery emerges, I hope and trust that local and national activists and activist organizations will use the courts to see it stopped.

This is the real meaning of diversity. That people in different communities can have different sensibilities and differnt policies. And they can peacefully coexist without meddling in each other's business. What year will that be?
A hard question. I see both encouraging and discouraging signs in all areas of society. Social trends seem resistant to the techniques that serve us so well in science and engineering, making their study a guessing game at best, a con job at worst.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12582806/from/RL.3/

OMAHA, Neb. - Omaha Public School board members on Monday called the new law to divide OPS into three districts "unworkable." The school board is beginning to work on its plan to change LB 1024, which in addition to dividing OPS, includes all Douglas and Sarpy county schools in one learning community.