Science Forums

Beard Stroke

Queso

First off I just want to let you know If I believed in ghosts I would believe there are at least two in some infinite position on my couch behind me.

Have you noticed how symbolic the wise man and his beard stroking is,

how it pops up in media here

and there, and into us like this:

I stroke my beard, and twist my hair into mini dreadlock-type-things and I start to think.

It's like this motion activates some conscious thought.

Before I let the hair on my face stretch out a little bit, I used to constantly play with the little bit of hair I had,

Just because I don't know-

I've always just played with hair.

And now I kind of realized that it gets me thinking...

And after this chocolate chip cookie I'll keep the rhythm vibes 'til I'm sleepin'. :evil:

PLaying with hair can also be a nervous habit. Obviously not always.

Sometimes when I'm communicating with someone I don't really know too well, I start to play with my hair. Hair on my head, mostly. Head hair, Chin hair, eyebrow hair.

But when I'm alone and completely content, I often find myself fiddling with my hair as well. Hair on my head, chin hair, eyebrows, pubes, leg hair, arm hair, *** hair. :)

It's stimulating.... I guess.

I stroke my beard, and twist my hair into mini dreadlock-type-things and I start to think.

It's like this motion activates some conscious thought.

Before I let the hair on my face stretch out a little bit, I used to constantly play with the little bit of hair I had,

Just because I don't know-

I've always just played with hair.

:naughty:

Did you also notice the similarity of this action with that of many haire animals. All of them occupy themselves fiddling with their hair, though not exactly the same way, because very often they do not have any hands.

It's a bit like stroking prayer beads. Meditative in some sense. Also, it does stimulate various portions of the cortex, moving blood flow and electrical activity which may clear any log jams in your thought processes.

It's also an extension of evolved grooming behaviors. Just like a fly cleans it's wings and a cat cleans it's paws and uses it's paws to clean it's head, we stroke our beards, or bite our nails, or scratch our heads like monkeys.

Mostly though, I think it's the rhythm that helps us focus. The other stuff is just part of that process.

I have worn a beard for a long time. At least... well... most of the past 17 years. I shaved it off one time around 1993. That is the last time a razor has touched my face. I normally trim it about once a month and keep it pretty short.

I have a kind of tradition where when I post the go live date for a project at work, I don't trim it until the project actually goes live. Problem is that my project right now was supposed to go live in December. I have an extra 2 inches of beard right now, and that brings me to the point of this post.

I have noticed that I have been fiddling with the beard in all sorts of ways. Like a new toy. Closing it in my fist and pulling it to a point. Putting pencils in it like a fro. Keeping crumbs and soup in it for a snack. I think it is fun, but it is really starting to look like hell. I with the project now scheduled for April 24, I propably need to just break with tradition before mice start nesting in it while I sleep. I look like Jeramiah Johnson, or Grzzly Adams, or me with a really thick beard.

I am just glad I went bald. I am terrible with what hair I have.

Bill

right, so.

I stroke my beard and other hair as something to occupy my hands, and parts of my mind I don't want fiddling with other things, to help me focus on whatever it is I want my mental power focused on. It's helps me get into a rythmic, consistant state, unlike tapping a pen on an inanimate object, I get lots of internal feedback from pulling on facial hair. Like steering wheel feedback in a performance vehicle, it puts me more in tune with my current state, but still helps lul me into a productive rythem.

I stroked my beard quite a few times thinking of this responce.

...I also had a few drinks ;)