Science Forums

Does ignorance ever make you sick to your stomach?

InfiniteNow

Does ignorance ever make you sick to your stomach?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does ignorance ever make you sick to your stomach?

• Yes
    • No

i voted No because it doesn't.

There needs to be ignorance

if there are free thinkers, like most of us here.

Balanced out, it's beautiful.

I voted yes because Vomit is cool

especially w/ tripadelic doses of San Pedro in it! :phones:

Always feeling better after a good Ralph,

Racoon

You folks will have to forgive me then, for being ignorant. There are some things we are all ignorant of and I must confess my own ignorance of many things. Maybe if you were to define ignorance as being purposely obnoxious, then I would have to agree.

I must also agree with Buffy on at least two things here, prejudice and chauvinism.

You're forgiven Infy. I personally interpret "ignorance" to be strongly coupled with "incuriousness", and you're hardly incurious! I don't mind "ignorance" at all if its just that you haven't gotten around to learning something yet. If you don't *want* to learn, that makes me want to grab a pail...

Intent is all,

Buffy

I was really indecisive on this one. And now I can't even remember how I voted. I think I said yes, but I think I mean no.

I usually try to look toward root causes of things. Ignorance as the root cause of failure that effects me can make me sick to my stomach. But often ignorance is a symptom, not the disease.

Bill

I cannot fault somebody for ignorance unless it has been a chosen state. For example, if somebody is racist because they have never met someone of a given race and have always been taught the racist dogma, I don't find that disturbing, only normal. If, however, they hold those views when presented with contrary information (meeting someone of that race that doesn't hold to the stereotype, reading verifiable information that contradicts it, etc.) then they have chosen an ignorant stance, and that bothers me.

Thanks for the articulate responses, all. I was really just venting. I found myself really bothered by some posts I read yesterday. I have since remembered to let go of the agitation, but it arose all the same due to some really seriously troubling comments. I wonder if the brilliance of some is enough to overcome the anchoring effect of the many...

Hopefully.

:xx: