Science Forums

Body for Life

IrishEyes

Nemo and I have decided to start an exercise and nutrition plan. We've chosen Body For Life. Have any of you heard of this program? We both think the possible results are just astounding, and are very excited about it. It is a 12 week program that combines healthy eating (six meals a day!) with exercise (6 days a week). It looked a bit rough at first, but we're in our third week, and it's really quite amazing.

Basically, for the nutrition part, we eat three meals and three snacks, and drinks gallons of water. We've just about cut out everything else but water for now. Of course, we still have a cup o'java every now and again, but we try to keep that to a minimum. Also, we still have a glass of wine once in a while during the week, with dinner. But for the most part, we stick to our meal plans, including a lower fat menu, and controlling the portion size.

For the exercise, we lift weights three days a week. The workouts are all in a book, or on their website. Generally, there is an upper body routine and a lower body routine. You do two uppers and one lower one week, Then two lowers and one upper the next week. Also, you do three aerobic workouts of 20 minutes, three times a week. So it goes something like: Monday-upper body;Tuesday-aerobics;Wed-lower body;Thurs-aerobics;Fri-upper body;Sat-aerobics.

The best part of the week is the "FREE DAY". It has no exercise, and you can eat WHATEVER you want. We really enjoy that day, and it makes it very easy to stick to the rest of it during the week.

So far, after two full weeks, I've lost 8 pounds, and 6 inches. I've gone from being able to barely run 5 laps of my driveway (about a mile, and wanting to die after I finished), to finishing 9 laps this morning and feeling like I could have gone farther. this was such a big deal that I had to call nemo at work and share it. and I could actually TALK on the phone after my run, which is something I couldn't do after the first day.

So tell me what you are doing to get and stay healthy. I want to hear about your weight-loss plans, diets that have failed (and why), nutrition plans that worked or didn't... everything, really.

And I'll keep you guys posted about our progress. I may even post the 'after' pictures in early May, if the results are as good as I'm hoping for. :eek2:

You Go Irish!! :eek2:

Body For Life is the EAS Supplement Program.

I am very familiar with it.

As soon as you wake up, you gotta do 30 minutes of exercise! (they say 20, but c'mon)

It is a sound program. Are they still giving away Ferrarris for the most drastic improvements?

They push their supplements, but EAS is a quality company. :) Myoplex replacement meals are pretty good. (and convenient)

I need to drop a few myself. :D

Let us know and keep us posted.

I've always had trouble with keeping my weight up.

As of right now, I'm skinny as a twig... and can barely run a mile from lack of daily activity.

Perhaps running daily will help me eat more... so I can gain a couple pounds?

well, on any note, I need to work on my cardio. It's definately going down to tubes with all my smoking (although, I DID quit smoking cigarettes recently) and lack of movement. I've become a bit of a sluggard within the past 7 months.

I need to change that.

Good for you Drip!

However Running or Jogging will not help you gain weight.

It will improve your Cardiovascular Function and VO2 Max. :)

Ironically, running will make you eat less. One of the benefits of exercise. :D

To gain weight you need to add an additional 500 - 1000 Kcals in the form of Complex Carbs and Protein, Daily. And you Gotta' hit the weights!

Ask Racoon, the Resident Fitness Trainer. :eek2:

I'm doing new Accredited 2 year College Program, that hopefully I will finish by Summer.

I'll be certified as well by the ACSM. American College of Sports Medicine.

The Gold Standard.

Great work Irish! make sure it is a change of lifestyle, and not just a fad that ends, otherwise it is right back where you were.

I can't decide if I want to focus on weight or waist. When I still worked as a machine operator I was always under 200lbs. When I got out of that and into project management I was 185 with a 33 waist. I am now 265 with a 42+ waist. The last time I bought pants I finally got the ones that expand. This is my fourth set of fat pants. I can't fit into any of the others anymore. You know when you get undressed for bed, and you have those red marks from your belt cinching into you all day? When you wake up and the marks are still there it is time for fat pants or a lifestyle change.

Anyway, I need to get on the path to thin with you Irish. But I need to make it a priority in my life. Perhaps if we use this forum as a club to encourage one another, and report our progress on occsion. If I got back into a 34 waist I could wear my suits again!

And #4 won't study wave motion by slapping my belly while I am watching TV in bed.:eek2:

Bill

Diet and exercise are the key to a healthy lifestyle. If one had to pick one of the two, exercise will allow the body to compensate for less than perfect diet and recreational intake spirits. Just diet alone is a short term fix that doesn't really seem to stick. Poppin pills is the easiest form of diet and preferred path by most, but no effort usually means no long term affect.