Science Forums

Ticklishness

TheBigDog

I gave a black eye to a boyfriend once who thought tickling was cute when he snuck up behind me and vigourously applied fingers to my sides. We broke up soon after because it turned out that he thought I owed him an *apology* for the elbow to the eye socket....silly boys...

Never tickle a woman,

Buffy

i find i can resist tickling ,ost of the time unless im already feeling silly. but even then i have an exraordiany gift of being able to just switch it off at a moments notice and retaliate spectacularly. my boyfriend understandably finds this rather annoying as i would estimate that he is in the top 100 most ticklish people on the planet.

what i realy love is that feeling after a long streach of devilish ticklage when you are too exhausted to do anything other than grin. very satisfying.

• 3 weeks later...
Who on Hypography wants to start a pool. My money is on Bill to be the one requiring medical attention. Go Shannon! :hihi:

There was a nice visit to the Red Lobster. There was a five pack of gourmet syrups for the espresso machine she got for Christmas. There were new satin pillow cases for her delicate head. There was even a birthday card that used the "L" word. Then another for Valentine's day, along with a dozen purple roses and two boxes of candy. There was no tickling. Nobody needed any medical attention.

Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks. :shrug:

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
If humans are products of the engineering perfection of evolution

Who ever said we were?

Ticklishness is now a flaw? I always thought it was a combination of shock and sensory overdrive - something that helps to initiate pain and refresh an overused sensory region (ie. the bottom of the feet, how we feel pressure on them at many waking moments). Without this refreshing mechanism, the area may become immune to sensory perception altogether.

If humans are products of the engineering perfection of evolution
Who ever said we were?

Ticklishness is now a flaw? I always thought it was a combination of shock and sensory overdrive - something that helps to initiate pain and refresh an overused sensory region (ie. the bottom of the feet, how we feel pressure on them at many waking moments). Without this refreshing mechanism, the area may become immune to sensory perception altogether.

I said we were. As for it being a flaw, I never said that. I only inquired to the possible reasons, and you have supplied one. Thanks!

Bill

Why did you say we were? Superiority complex? God? :P

And I apologise for assuming that you thought ticklishness was a flaw

I do have a superiority complex when it comes to lifeforms on earth and who is in control. It we became the top of every chain by creation, design or happenstance of evolution, in the end here we are. No other species is "blamed" for the extinction of another. By admission of the accusation of guilt, man is superior in that he can choose to control his environment and those creatures that will share it with him. This is a broader statement, and not pointed at anything you in particular have stated here.

I like you thought on preventing desensitivity (word?). I think ticklishness is coincidental to the nervous system. There are systems of sensitivity at play for survival, and ticklishness is a happy accident of ecolution. No more good than bad. Who knows, maybe Neanderthal Man went extinct because he was not ticklish enough? :shocked: :hihi:

Bill