Science Forums

Ticklishness

TheBigDog

If humans are products of the engineering perfection of evolution, where every cell and nerve in our body serves a greater purpose to our whole body-society, then what the hell is the purpose of being ticklish?

When I was a lad there was nobody on the planet more ticklish than me. And as I grew up I became a master of the art of tickling, perhaps to even out the treatment I received when young. But now I am virtually tickle-free (except for the bottoms of my feet - don't tell my little ones!) Is this typical that we are ticklish when young, but grow out of it with time?

And finally, if tickling your kids is somehow going to warp or inhibit their development, then my kids are doomed. And my wife, maybe because she is so ticklish, reacts very poorly to such behavior toward her. Is it bad to teach a 2 year old to wake up mommy by tickling her feet? What are the social boundaries of tickling?

Bill

If humans are products of the engineering perfection of evolution, where every cell and nerve in our body serves a greater purpose to our whole body-society, then what the hell is the purpose of being ticklish?

To keep us smiling, of course. I don't care how much of a sour-puss you are on a given day... you get tickled, you cannot help but laugh. :eek2: :) :D

When I was a lad there was nobody on the planet more ticklish than me. And as I grew up I became a master of the art of tickling, perhaps to even out the treatment I received when young. But now I am virtually tickle-free (except for the bottoms of my feet - don't tell my little ones!) Is this typical that we are ticklish when young, but grow out of it with time?

Perfectly typical. It's called desensitization.

And finally, if tickling your kids is somehow going to warp or inhibit their development, then my kids are doomed. And my wife, maybe because she is so ticklish, reacts very poorly to such behavior toward her. Is it bad to teach a 2 year old to wake up mommy by tickling her feet? What are the social boundaries of tickling?

That is completely context dependent. Kid's being warped by tickling? Yeah, but it's the good kind of warping! They are being taught not to take things too seriously. They're kids... laughing is good. Now, if you do it to the point of them wetting their pants... well, that may leave a negative and lasting impression. :D

As for the 2 year old waking up mommy by tickling her feet... well, that's between you and mommy. :D

Social boundaries are important. For example, not proper if I came over to your house and started tickling your kids or, worse, your wife. However, if there is a solid foundation of love setting the stage, tickle away.

Ticklish spots clearly (in my mind, anyway) has something to do with pressure points and the flow of energy between them. There are some key points that have high probability of inducing the tickle response, while others are completly unexpected...

You might look into things like accupuncture texts or various pressure point sciences. I bet you would learn even more than you already have mastered as a tickler.

Cheers.

Ticklishness might ensure that the nerves are stimulated enough... strengthening old connections and generating new ones.

Hey Pookie-Bear! Get out my long feather and the velvet blindfold! Can you grab four of my ties from the closet? What? No, it's not like that. This is about our health - its scientific for God's sake! I won't pull them too tight. Your safety word is "InfiniteNow";) . Now just relax and laugh your freaking *** off, and remember, I am a scientist!:eek2:

Bill

Hey Pookie-Bear! Get out my long feather and the velvet blindfold! Can you grab four of my ties from the closet? What? No, it's not like that. This is about our health - its scientific for God's sake! I won't pull them too tight. Your safety word is "InfiniteNow";) . Now just relax and laugh your freaking *** off, and remember, I am a scientist!:eek2:

You rock, bro.

Just fyi... silk scarves work better. :)

Here's an idea...

Maybe ticklishness is a way for the nervous system to stay fresh. There's a very true adage called "use it or lose it." Ticklishness might ensure that the nerves are stimulated enough... strengthening old connections and generating new ones.

Just a thought.

hmm... this may be why I'm no longer ticklish.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Pookie-Bear! Get out my long feather and the velvet blindfold! Can you grab four of my ties from the closet? What? No, it's not like that. This is about our health - its scientific for God's sake! I won't pull them too tight. Your safety word is "InfiniteNow";) . Now just relax and laugh your freaking *** off, and remember, I am a scientist!:confused:

So, did it work? :hyper:

So, did it work? :ebomb:

Pookie-Bear's birthday (Feb 10) + no gift from TheBigDog = Trouble :shade:

Valentine's Day (Feb 14) + no gift from TheBigDog = Trouble^2 :Alien:

Trouble + Trouble ^ 2 + TheBigDog's stubborn refusal to admit he screwed up = no science of physical contact (unless you count catching a remote control on the noggin from across the bed) :hyper: ;) :hyper:

The lines have been drawn. I am riding out the storm. I am not falling into some "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" trap. :confused: Nobody wants to be me right now.

Bill

• 10 months later...
Pookie-Bear's birthday (Feb 10) + no gift from TheBigDog = Trouble :hihi:

Valentine's Day (Feb 14) + no gift from TheBigDog = Trouble^2 :)

Trouble + Trouble ^ 2 + TheBigDog's stubborn refusal to admit he screwed up = no science of physical contact (unless you count catching a remote control on the noggin from across the bed) :P :doh: :doh:

So, will tickling be enough to satisfy the love god this year? Plans? Ideas? Reparations? :friday:

So, will tickling be enough to satisfy the love god this year? Plans? Ideas? Reparations? :)

Tickling is out of the formula. I continued to dig my hole right through and beyond our anniversary (Halloween was 11 years). It is well past time for me to cut my losses and grovel back into good graces.

Once I have achieved that moral victory I am going to tickle her until one of us needs medical attention. ;) I am stupid that way.

Bill