Science Forums

DMT and the Psychedelic Pineal.

Tarantism

i was recently started to find in my reading that the compound DMT (being Di-methyl-triptamine, not the other compound NN-DMt) is produced by the pineal gland naturally, throughout our entire lives, and also that the brain accepts DMT (whereas it rejects or fights most psychedelics, such as LSD or Psysolin/psilyciben). this "indigeonus DMT" is present in every human for "some reason"- one that has yet to be determined-.

it has been suggested that this indigeonus DMT is released nly during Birth, Near Death, and more skeptically accidental releases of this DMT could be the cause(or could be mistaken for) alien abductions...(during studies the volanteers often decribed "others" were present or that "they came in contact with other beings, not human, not even nessesarily from this dimension". also, near death experiances could trigger accidental raeleases of this DMT, which could be responsable for the "warm, white light at the end of a tunnel (see next paragraph). there is one other instance where this DMT could accidentally be released...and that is the highest forms of meditation, though i am a bit skeptical about that one.

there is also the religious question, along with meeting other beings, research subjects often could feel "warmth and love everywhere", "the presance of God", "hear god's voice", and nearly every subject saw a "white light" and could "...feel the source of all power in the universe...".

i do not know much about neurology, though i am learning, and i am looking for opinions from chemists on why they think DMT is present, and accepted by our brain. could it be that this chemical compound is responsable for your unique consiousness? :hihi:

*ref: DMT: the Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman, MD.

According to my Biology Textbook, and what an intelligent Professor told me the Pineal Gland:

It secretes Melatonin that targets the Hypothalamus to influence daily biorhythms.

My Prof. said Pineal gland is still a bit of a mystery, and that that its most likely involved in Adolescent Growth.. Its not really a major player like the Pituitary

Interesting thread! I've posted some thing about Hormones and glands on my Humans Internal Chemistry.... thread

Nueroendicronology IS the way to GO! :hihi:

it is also my understanding that the pineal controls seratonin AND melatonin levels int he body, along with producing indigeonous DMT.

also, i forgot to mention that there are receptors that carry this DMT directly from the Pineal Gland to the Sensory glands, i believe mainly the "sight" and "Auditory" bits get the most.

Perhaps you ar right (((Tartanism)))...

I can't really find skat about the Pineal. :)

Seratonin is a neurotransmitter that acts on brain cells that govern sleeping, sensory perception, regulation of body temp., and emotional states...

All the things that happen when "tripped on 'shrooms" :eek:

Textbook about 2-3 yrs. old.

Sounds like the Seratonin levels have a lot do with hallucinogenic arousal.

Let us know what you discover! :hihi:

would it be safe to assume that DMT being released close to death is just the body's natural way of making it easier to "let go" so to speak?

And if it is released during birth as well... it might also be the body's natural way of helping "accept" this weird new world that you are born in. I mean... I'm sure it must be shellshock to go from dark, warm, tummy... to being in a cold, bright, weird place with these beings touching you and staring at you.

• 5 months later...
would it be safe to assume that DMT being released close to death is just the body's natural way of making it easier to "let go" so to speak?

And if it is released during birth as well... it might also be the body's natural way of helping "accept" this weird new world that you are born in. I mean... I'm sure it must be shellshock to go from dark, warm, tummy... to being in a cold, bright, weird place with these beings touching you and staring at you.

do some research on how DMT effects the human brain...its quite unlike an LSD or Mushroom trip. read some trip reports on erowid.

as far as "beings touching and blah....", when you read some trip reports, you will find that quite the same thing happens to those who use DMT.

do some research on how DMT effects the human brain...its quite unlike an LSD or Mushroom trip. read some trip reports on erowid.

as far as "beings touching and blah....", when you read some trip reports, you will find that quite the same thing happens to those who use DMT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_Gland

Reports in rodents suggest that the pineal gland may influence the actions of drugs of abuse such as cocaine [1] and antidepressants such as fluoxetine (Prozac)[2]; and contribute to regulation of neuronal vulnerability[3]. In addition, it has been proposed by Rick Strassman that the pineal gland is responsible for manufacture of endogenous dimethyltryptamine (DMT) although this is only speculation. There are some who believe DMT has a role in dreaming and possibly near-death experiences and other mystical states, and, although not proven, it was hypothesized in 1988 by Jace Callaway that DMT is connected with visual dreaming. Dr. Strassman expanded upon this theory in his book: DMT: The Spirit Molecule. However, significant (or any?) DMT production by the pineal gland has not been reported in the refereed scientific literature (PubMed search as of July 24, 2006).

Ive made alot of psygestions and implications about my use of DMT in the theology (plant shamanism)thread, but i just wanted to mention that N,n dimethytryptamine and DMT are the same. Our brain as well produces 5-meo-DMT, and was fisrt isolated by The Shulgins( creators of MDMA).

I have smoked both of them and they both produce startling results of conciousness, 5-meo is more Trance inducing and orgasmic, it is aslo Legal and can be bought over the net at some research chemical sites.

It is not as vibrant and colourful as N,nDMT, Anyone interested in doing DMT can find simple extractions over the net, and as well buy the appropratie material, At this time i cannot post anymore aobut this for obvious reasons,

I refer to my DMT trryping as "dreaming myself awake".....

peace

Neuroflux

i do not know much about neurology, though i am learning, and i am looking for opinions from chemists on why they think DMT is present, and accepted by our brain. could it be that this chemical compound is responsable for your unique consiousness? :)

You have at the very least stimulated a spirited set of conversations.:) You have learned as well some of the fine art of including scientific reference.;)

Could it be toad licking is responsible for unique conciousness? :eek: Actually , yes; under the proper conditions. Ponder this:

Psychoactive toad

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Toad licking)

Jump to: navigation, search

Psychoactive toad is a name used for toads from which psychoactive substances from the family of bufotoxins can be derived. The skin and venom of Bufo alvarius (Colorado River toad or Sonoran Desert toad) contain 5-MeO-DMT and bufotenin. Other species contain only bufotenin. 5-MeO-DMT and bufotenin both belong to the family of hallucinogenic tryptamines. Due to these substances the skin or venom of the toads may produce psychoactive effects when smoked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_licking

PS Just flashed on the fairy tale "kiss a frog" & see a prince thing; do they have psychoactive toads in Europe? Mmmmmmmm....pucker up!

a funny side note, i met a guy at the train station a few weeks ago who told me that he was en-route to Colerado for what he called "the gathering". i jokingly asked if he planned on doing any toad licking, he smiled and said "well, yeah, im going to the gathering". ;)

Just rereading the Wicky article. Will check "the Gathering" next.:)

So, is there or can there be a relationship between the Frog Prince fairy tale and psychoactive frog venom? Possibly, according to Wicky article:

A warning was also published in the British Journal of Psychiatry (November 1990) that stated "the Australian cane toad is popularly kept as a pet in the US, and licked by its owners for the resulting hallucinatory effects," with the note that two types of English toads also have the potential to be used in this way.

But!...Do NOT lick the toad! Repeat...do NOT lick the toad. Because:

Smoking or vaporizing the toad's skin or products thereof protects one from being poisoned by the large number of additional toxins present in the secretions that are not volatile on heating or that will decompose at elevated temperatures. Many of these other toxins are peptides and large molecules.

Off to research the fairy tale angle. :)

its been hard to find any info on the gathering, though in my search i did find something quite funny, and perhaps related:

In the late 1960s, LSD evangelist Art Kleps founded a psychedelic church called the Neo-American Church. The church's newsletter was called "Divine Toad Sweat".[3] In 1984, Bufo toad evangelist Albert Most revealed his Church of the Toad of Light with his publication of the book Bufo Alvarius: Psychedelic Toad of the Sonoran Desert. The Sonoran Desert is in New Mexico. This small booklet details how to use the Bufo toad for ritual and pleasure, as well as how to catch the Bufo alvarius toad, extract or "milk" the glandular secretions, dry them, and "enjoy the smoked venom." Most's book claims that 5-MeO-DMT (5-methoxy-N, N-dimethyltryptamine) is the active hallucinogen, not bufotenine. He is correct, as 5-MeO-DMT is the O-methylated version of bufotenine.[4] Again, it is important to mention that 5-Me0-DMT is present in only one of the more than 200 types of Bufo toads

some biased toad-licking info

the gathering seems to be largely underground, probably for the safety and freedom of the participants.

so, from the looks of things, McKenna's stoned ape theory could possibly be expanded to include some of the other naturally occuring psychedelics. what about the peyote cactus? mankind wouldnt have encountered it until much later, but it has played a prominant role in mexican mythology im sure of that.