Science Forums

There is always one more bug

Pyrotex

Hey Tormod,

I hope all is well with you. I just posted the following:

http://hypography.com/forums/theology-forum/5082-satan-what-3.html#post80259

...and it failed to appear on the "Latest Forum Topics" box. However, a post I did immediately after that... did. I find myself wondering if this one will or will not... but that's just because I'm lame. :lol:

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
I could edit and save it. As for why it does not go to the right post...I'm not sure. A bug. Yup.

Tormod,

I have found that if I edit/save a post that is fewer than, say, 20 lines -- it works. For posts significantly over that, my edits do not save.

Also, I am getting 2 copies of each email from the "Coriolis--" thread, and 6 copies of each email from "Quatrain Corner".

Addendum: hmmm, he said to hisself. Being a programmer, it occurred to the digital half of his mind that maybe he WASN'T getting six copies of EACH posting from "Quatrains". Maybe there were six NEW quatrains posts. Maybe the bug is: he was getting six independent and separate emails--BUT--the text in each email was duplicated from the first email sent that day.

That would explain why the duplicity was different for each thread, and different for any given thread each day!

All it would take would be a forgotten little 'pointer' variable that should point to the most recent posting in a thread, but for some reason, was left pointing to the original post of the day and never regenerated/ repointed/ updated when subsequent postings were added.

Yes, that was what he thought. Then he burnt his lip on a fresh cup of coffee and forgot what he was thinking about. Oh, well. Time to check the email again. What? Six copies of email about the same "Quatrains" posting? What the hell?!?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Now I typically get just two email for each post. Except for Quatrain Corner--I get three. Then I unsubscribed to everything except QC. Now I get just one email for each QC post.

And no, Turtle, you can't have any more candy. You've had enough. Now eat your vegetables!

Sorry about all the issues you guys are having. We are moving to the new dedicated server in a few weeks now and hopefully things will repair themselves more or less. Most of the problems we're seeing are probably due to us being on a busy shared server.

The massive e-mail duplicates do worry me slightly. But I'll hold off on the troubleshooting until we move - then I'll ask the dev team to look into these issues.

• 2 weeks later...