Science Forums

WTF is curfew?

inside the sun

aye, Sun, i hope that you dont misunderstand me...i am not saying that you dislike for this law is wrong...infact i agree totally. to say taht they make up laws fo good reason is true but that doesnt nessesarily make them good laws...i like that you started this thread...someone should say something about these things, be proud that it is you.

kudos, everyone!

Curfew is a law born from crime statistics. Statistically there is a large percentage of crime committed more after dark than not, by a mischeivious group that chooses darkness to cover their behavior. Curfew provides a means to reduce this crime but unfortunately it effectively punishes some people from the same demographic that committed no crime. Perhaps some would prefer that we just shoot the ones ruining it for everyone else as an example to others that they behave themselves. Then we wouldn't need a curfew to keep the mischevious off the streets after dark.

true. i've been out past curfew plenty of times and i haven't been rolled for it yet. But it's still a law and knowing its their is ****ing bulllshit. Plus how old are criminals? at leas the dangerous ones. They are over 18 right, so they have no curfew. so whats the point of giving curfew to people that don't do anything wrong and letting them walk the streets at night.

Plus how old are criminals? at leas the dangerous ones. They are over 18 right, so they have no curfew. so whats the point of giving curfew to people that don't do anything wrong and letting them walk the streets at night.

It's not violent crime that is stemmed by curfew. It's mostly property damage caused by juveniles that is reduced by curfew. Maybe we could try a different approach. We lift the curfew and as soon as graffiti is painted on someone's property all of the juveniles in the area get grounded 100% until the guilty one is caught. That way none of them will even get to enjoy their daytime freedom as they do now until they rat out the dirtball with no respect for other people's property. This shouldn't take long since the others want their freedom so overall they'll get to be out more at night than they used to. The many will still pay for the actions of the few but we'll actually find out who more of the few are than we do now. The current system reduces crime but the guilty are seldom caught. The new plan will result in actually catching more of the guilty so they don't continue ruining it for everyone else. What'cha think?

Curfew is a law born from crime statistics. Statistically there is a large percentage of crime committed more after dark than not, by a mischeivious group that chooses darkness to cover their behavior. Curfew provides a means to reduce this crime but unfortunately it effectively punishes some people from the same demographic that committed no crime. Perhaps some would prefer that we just shoot the ones ruining it for everyone else as an example to others that they behave themselves. Then we wouldn't need a curfew to keep the mischevious off the streets after dark.

thank you for bringing that up, i think this is the main reason curfew is in effect, and a good point you have.

this "we can't trust some, so let's **** em all over" attitude is driving me insane

well, for kids, right?

i mean, i go out walking thru the night all the time and no pigs ever bother me.

well, you have to keep in mind that YOU look at least eighteen, possibly much older in the night.

i was only picked up for curfew once, but i was 10. i've never had many problems after that.

about a month-ish ago, i was a block from my house near a chinese food place, and i noticed a car with an energy directed towards me.

as i kept walking this car circled around, went into the street and rolled up next to me. it was an undercover cop.

he asked how old i was and i said seventeen, and he asked if i knew the curfew, but immediatly told him i was a block away from my house.

he asked my name and address and then simply drove away.

usually cops don't even give a crap, i think they just get bored:shrug:

i think that we have it easy in our area, Loren. i once was staying at my grandparents house in pacifica and i decided to go out for a walk at about 1 AM. my grandma, of all people, told me to watch out for cops cause they would give me ****. lo and behold, later that night i was walking up my grandparents street headed home and a cop came up next to me and asked me what i was doing. i jsut told himt that my grandparents knew i was out, and that i was actually headed home. he left me alone.

the point of that is that if my Grandma knew about the cops annoying kids out after curfew, then it must be a bit of a big deal to them elsewhere, most likely places like oakland where there is much more actual crime, not jsut wannabe "g's" beating the **** out of some kid. my hunch is we have it easy.

as far as clay's theory...wouldnt we still be punishing all of the kids, and who is to say it was someone from that neighborhood? if i were to do graffiti, it would be far from my house for fear that someone would recognize me or something. making all of the kids stay in because someone vandalized doesnt solve the problem...we cant. curfew should exist, and american parents should be made to work less so that they can ACTUALLY parent (you know, give advise and such...). that is probably a huge cause for gangs and violence- someone just needed to be LOVED!:shrug:

curfew is nonsense, and pot should be legal. amen.:cup:

graffiti can be so beautiful.

when an artist takes their time and turns something ordinary and bland in the city, and just infests it with color and content that occassionally represents........well i think that is awesome.

when a bunch of teens carve XIV everywhere....well thats just ridiculous.

i mark our territory.

but anyways, yawwwn merry christmas fools.

graffiti can be so beautiful.

when an artist takes their time and turns something ordinary and bland in the city, and just infests it with color and content that occassionally represents........well i think that is awesome.

when a bunch of teens carve XIV everywhere....well thats just ridiculous.

i mark our territory.

but anyways, yawwwn merry christmas fools.

i agree, and merry christmas.

you guys have to keep in mind art isn't the only reason curfew is in effect.

it is also to protect us from heavily drugged out or drunk pedestrians:eswirl:

to stop us from being in the sights of sexual predators:esmoking:

to prevent angry minor vandalism:evil:

and to prevent kids from sneaking outta their houses in the first place.

isn't it funny how little this works?

stupid cops, either enforce it or ditch the ****. we have to be able to make up our minds