Science Forums

Eventually death penality abolished

sanctus

How about this:

Fence off a big area of mostly useless terrain. This area should be a coupla' thousand square kilometres. Then, you chuck in all your unwanteds in there. They are free to do as they please. You don't feed them, nothing - they're gonna have to create some order in this piece of land if they want to survive. Seeing as they don't respect your country's laws, here's a perfect piece of land in which they can found their own comfortable little anarchist state.

Ban all capital criminals to this piece of land. Pretty soon you're gonna find them either dead from starvation, or productive farmers, tending their crops.

Hey - it worked for Australia, didn't it? I understand their Prime Minister is coming out on parole soon!

A solution to the crime problem :

buy an island such as Grand Bahama. pay each citizen 1 million dollars to leave the island. stock the island with seeds, livestock, and things needed for survival. send all felons to the island. no guns, no guards. the felons have to fend for themselves. this would empty the prisons which could be converted into schools for the disadvantaged. this would save 6-10 billion dollars per year. the felons would still have appeal rights, and if found innocent could be repatriated. there would be no escaped prisoners, no death penalty, no guards at risk, no drug scams or criminal activity from jail, plus a huge financial savings.

7.7 on IMDB < what the heck is this?!?
It is a weighted average user rating for the movie as gathered by the Internet Movie DataBase, a popular website that allows registered users to vote a 1-10 rating for virtually every movie that exists. I find it a valuable resource, as most movies receive many votes (eg: 8435 for 1967’s “Dirty Dozen”), and presents the data in numeric and histogram form, broken down by age range, gender, and a few other demographic factors.

Except for a few very well known and respected ones, older movies tend to have slightly lower scores than newer ones of seemingly similar quality – likely due to the promotional effects of advertisement and word-of-mouth, audiences’ better comprehension of more contemporary themes, and some artifacts of the weighting algorithm used. So a 7.7 average for a 1967 movie indicates that, near its release, this movie would likely have been rated among the top 100-200 movies. Even without adjusting for age, the movie nearly makes the IMDB top 250 movies list.

A solution to the crime problem :

buy an island such as Grand Bahama...

No way! My fingers are already itching to go and commit some crime in order to get banned to the Grand Bahamas!

You don't wanna up your crime levels by making the destination seem attractive! You need to get a piece of land where nobody wants to live, like Siberia, or the UK :hihi: !

Now that is sure to lower crime rates...

Seems like Tookie Williams is about to reach the end of his line.

Arnie's gonna live up to his nickname 'Terminator'...

Yep.

Tookie is gone. He is now an ex-Tookie. He is no more. California is suddenly a Tookie-less place. Do Californians feel safer now?

Tookie was terminated by the Governator.

Yep.

Tookie is gone. He is now an ex-Tookie. He is no more. California is suddenly a Tookie-less place. Do Californians feel safer now?

Tookie was terminated by the Governator.

Indeed. Tookie will NOT be back.

Did his good deeds during his prison term make up for the crimes he had committed? Should he have been pardoned? In my opinion - no. His victims didn't have the luxury of living for all those extra years and doing things they would have liked. Too little too late, Tookie.

In this case, the punishment was not aimed at reforming the prisoner, so justice would not have been served on the grounds that he had (allegedly) mended his ways.

don't make the mistake of thinking prison reforms people. while they are there they perfect their skills so they can be more proficient at their life's work.

Tookie is gone. good riddance. a cold blooded murderer of four innocent people. society will be better without him and the chance of being pardoned or escaping. we will not have to continue to support at public expense this psychopath who continued his gang connections, attacked guards and other inmates while in prison. would you like Tookie as your next door neighbor ?

meanwhile the liberals can continue executing fetuses under their various excuses.

Boersun, obviously you haven't been to Grand Bahama. it is warm, and that is the end of its charms. people who are sent there would not have the privilege to leave and would have to work for their sustenance rather than robbing other people of their earnings. if they were sent to Siberia, it would be more expensive, plus the liberals would undoubtedly think the punishment was too severe.

Lookie lookie there goes Tookie!

No, I don't want him as my neighbour. And I don't want him killed on my behalf neither. If I lived and voted in California, I would have been an accessory to a planned murder today. I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight. Thank God for my country's constitution, declaring Capital Punishment as unconstitutional. I am not an accessory to state sponsored murders. Let the bastard rot in jail. Just don't kill him on my behalf.

Boersun, we didn't execute Tookie in your behalf. we executed him in behalf of the four people he murdered in cold blood. now we don't have to support a

killer who had no remorse and who would have killed more people if he had a chance. you are welcome to maintain your killers at state expense as long as you wish.