Science Forums

Who was smarter?

The word smarter in itself is the wrong term.

Smart is a word like shy. Saying that someone is shy is from the appearence they display, but really it is rooted from internal disfunctions in a social aspect.

Smart likewise is how someone displays when it is more of a word for the function of ones ability to reason.

There has been alot of smart people in history that had zero natural survival smarts, but they sure could write out a pile of numbers.

Newton and Edison were patent feinds, Einstein was a patent clerk. But I still say Tesla beats them all.

I would have to agree from my studies that in the recent age, Nikola Tesla is on my list one of the best minds. He had incredible memory, life skills, social skill, inventiveness, math... you name it. In some of his writings he said he was able to decifer the reasoning or relation of any single memory that crossed his mind. I mean by this that if he had a dream he said he could remember exactly where and why that thought was in his mind. Einstien was an awesome thinker and had a good imagination but I beleive even Nikola had helped him to learn higher level math.

Not to mention Nikola invented the electric age, single handidly changing history greater than I think anyone has.

Survival smarts... hmmmm...

Tycho Brahe was, at the time, probably the best astronomer of the day. His observations enable Kepler to do what he did.

Nevertheless, for all his techinical skills as an observer, he died from an exploded bladder from drinking too much at a party, and not considering asking his host to be excused so as to drain his inner workings to be proper form.

Now that's an example of Survival Smarts being much, much more important than technical smarts...

Survival smarts... hmmmm...

Tycho Brahe was, at the time, probably the best astronomer of the day. His observations enable Kepler to do what he did.

Nevertheless, for all his techinical skills as an observer, he died from an exploded bladder from drinking too much at a party, and not considering asking his host to be excused so as to drain his inner workings to be proper form.

Now that's an example of Survival Smarts being much, much more important than technical smarts...

ouch!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

what is intelligence anyways? I think there are tons of different ways of being intellectual.... which would mean that intelligence can be measured in many different forms. So, it's really hard to pick one of two incredibly intelligent individuals as being "more intelligent" than the other.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about either of them to make up my mind. :confused:

Intelligence is your ability to take in and process data real time. Not to be confused with Wisdom, which is the use of prior experience and 'common sense'. when there is a lack of data, Intuition comes into play.

With this in mind, I'd say Newton was more 'intelligent'.

I would have to agree with everyone that said that Newton was smarter than Einstien. I think that Newton is the most brilliant scientist who has ever lived. Considering that he was mainly an alchemist/religous guy, this is saying quite a bit. Not only did Newton provide us with our basic understanding of Physics and calculus, but he basically singlehandedly usered in the eara of scientific (as we know it now) endevor. Awsome. Also, while quite brilliant, the guy was increadibly hard working and became so caught up in projects that he forgot about the things around him (like the need to eat or sleep, ect.) That guy was a powerhouse, the likes of which have not been seen since. At least in my opinion.

Though there seems to be a few misconceptions about both newton and einstien in this thread.

Firstly, newton did not invent the calculous in a weekend. It took him the better part of two years, afterwich he basically never returned to it (only once must later in life). Also, his calculus was not entirely well formed, which is why Lebnitz is often credited with invention of the calculus by most scholars (i belive).

Secondly, einstein did not give the US the atomic bomb. In reality, he had very little to do with its creation beyond providing his name to the first letter written to the president (FDR) on the subject. If anyone is to be called the "father of the atom bomb" it should probably be oppenheimer or fermi. And if anyone is to be credited with comming up with the idea for the bomb, it would be Leo Slizard.

Firstly, newton did not invent the calculous in a weekend. It took him the better part of two years, afterwich he basically never returned to it (only once must later in life). Also, his calculus was not entirely well formed, which is why Lebnitz is often credited with invention of the calculus by most scholars (i belive).
Just a funny here. Newton introduced the common notation for a differential used in physics (the dot over the name of the variable being differentiated) whereas Leibniz introduced the "d" notation for infinitesimals used in mathematics. When I was in graduate school, one of my math professors (who had gotten his Ph.D. back in the 1800's) pointed out a great flaw in Newton's notation not often mentioned. He said that it was nevertheless a very serious one when he was a student. That was the fact that flies had a penchant for performing undesired differentiations. :shrug: :umno: :hihi:

Have fun -- Dick

• 1 month later...

Silly question. ME!

OK, seriously? Einstein, he disproved Issac, although his theories started off from Newton's work. But Einstein did turn around the scientific world, Newton started it. So...They are equally smart, but you know, I am much smarter.

But then again, hypotheticly speaking, if i was indeed as smart i bs about, then i would never admitt my own "smartness" so there is no way I would be considered smart. A smart person would never admitt his smartness.

• 2 weeks later...
Who do yall think was smarter Albert Einstien or Isaac Newton?

Neither knew anything about Reality and neither knew anything about fiction so both must have been pretty stupid.

I, on the other hand, I AM the Reality that is Heaven itself… and thus I know more about Reality's fiction than anyone else can imagine, and that goes for the likes of Jesus and Buddha.

yes I am the Supreme Expert on Reality's Nothing, fiction, thoughts ... and the Supreme Comedy is that there is no other to agree or disagree about everything there is to know about Reality's fiction, the nothing called thoughts.

Who do yall think was smarter Albert Einstien or Isaac Newton?

My dad tells a story about taking a drive when he was a kid and my grandfather pointing out Albert Einstein walking down the street. Grandpa said, "You see that man walking down the street? He is the smartest man in the world. You see that man walking behind him? His job is to make sure he finds his way home."

Many of the people we consider the great geniouses of history have similar stories of being so obsessed with thier contemplations that they are unaware of their surroundings and often seem inept at the most basic of tasks.

I will thow in Benjamin Franklin as the smartest man. He was the total package; scientist, publisher, business man, politician, inventor, playboy, statesman, and one of the greatest sources of quotes in history. And he could find his own way home.

Bill