Science Forums

Time travel

wazzuuup

In 1956 I carefully examined a USA copper penny with a date of 1958. There were no detectable scratches or alterations to the date as viewed under a low power microscope. The owner refused to sell it to me. Either the mint made a mistake or someone from the future left it. (He probably didn't come from 1958, although the penny looked fairly untarnished.)
Are you sure it was made by the US mint?

an interesting thing with time travel - on some movies characters travel through time and they see things happening around them, for this to happen wouldnt they have to exist in each time untill they reach there destination but just travel through time at a higher speed than we do... so to an outside observer wouldnt the person and the time machine always be in the same place moving really slowly (assuming theyre machine tracks that point on the earth)

• 2 weeks later...
One aspect of time travel, if such existed, would be the idea that by going back in time events could be changed. However, outside of the time traveler himself or herself there would be no way of knowing history was changed. One would need a future referencing timeline to judge that something had changed. However, due to the fact that an event was changed in the past so would the original future timeline one used as a reference. Here almost all of the fictional stories out there on time travel tend to have this all wrong also.

Its also correct what was being said about location and time travel.

A lot of the proposed ideas one finds in fiction would not work on many levels.

Like in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" or "The Butterfly Effect", a good movie but ultimately unbelievable (especially the way in which he travelled back in time). I agree with FreeThinker's theory that if you went back in time and "changed" something it wouldn't appear changed at all to anyone but yourself, and for this reason I will take credit for assassinating JFK on June 26th, 2058. Prove me wrong.

But seriously, if I were to do something unique that would or would have (depending on wheteher or not your in the past) reached national television that hadn't been done to this day, like bring a television back to when we didn't even have electrical outlets and bring along with me The Matrix Trilogy a generator and a DVD player everyone but me would be used to the "changes" that had occurred while I was in the past revealing this new technology. And I would have to adjust to my new life that I had created while everyone else on Earth had been adjusting from the day I revealed the technology. I would just hope we did get around to making the electrical outlet and people didn't stay dependent on the generator.

the back to the future movies in my opinion would have to be the best movies ever made, i just cant get enough of that movie. but i do have some contradicting thoughts about the time travel. such as if any of you have seen the second movie. in this movie he goes forward in time and we are able to see him as an old man. his girlfriend even meets herself as an older woman in the future. and my point is that if you left the past and traveled strait to the future, you would never meet your self in the future because no one would be in the past to live out your life. not that i think time travel is possible, but that is a great movie and someday we might be able to..

• 2 months later...

Their are many theories on time travel, the most accepted and most likely to happen (Although way, way into the future) arose with Einstein’s theories. His theories made it possible for blackholes and wormholes to exist, since a wormhole connects to points of space-time, it is thought that if you enter one side of the hole you will come out in the past, while the other side brings you into the future. The grandmother paradox has put some doubt into the theory, it states that if you go back in time and kill you grandmother hoe could you have been born to go back into time to kill your grandmother in the first place? With the development of Superstring theory, and hyperspace theory, we have learned that if this would take place, instead of you not being born you would simply create a parallel universe.

since a wormhole connects to points of space-time, it is thought that if you enter one side of the hole you will come out in the past, while the other side brings you into the future
There’s an important additional step to making the “wormhole time machine” you’re referring to.

Here’s the whole scheme:

1) Make a wormhole (whew!)

2) Put one end on a spaceship and accelerate close enough to the speed of light that it experiences time dialation

3) bring it back home and put it reasonably close to the other end.

Now, when you step in the end you moved, you’ll step out of other end in the past. Step in the end you didn’t move, and you’ll step out the other in the future.

How far you’ll step into the future or the past depends on how fast and far you moved the one end, as follows: td=t*((1-v^2/c^2)^.5 – 1)/(1-v^2)^.5, where td is the time difference between the 2 ends, v is the speed you moved it at, t is how long you kept it moving, and c is the speed of light. So, if you moved it at 0.1 c for one year, td=1*((1-.1^2)^.5–1)/(1-.1^2)^.5 =~.005 years =~ 45 minutes

:D The big problem with this scheme is that nobody has a clear idea how to accomplish “1) make a wormhole”. Many bright folk strongly suspect it can’t be done. Much serious thinking about this arose when Carl Sagan was writing his novel “Contact”, and asked his friend Kip Thorne how he could include a scientifically realistic “space subway” in it. Thorne and his private army of grad students worked on the question, which eventually led Steven Hawkins to argue the “can’t be done” position.

:) There’s another time machine scheme that would be more versatile than a wormhole, and doesn’t require a step that nobody has a clear idea how to do. Check out The Tippler Machine.

Here’s that scheme:

1) build a really massive (at least a couple solar masses), really long (a few thousand km) cylinder

2) spin it really fast (nearly the speed of light at its surface) along its axis

Now, when you fly a spaceship around it in one direction, you’ll go back in time, the other way, forward.

Here’s that scheme:

1) build a really massive (at least a couple solar masses), really long (a few thousand km) cylinder

2) spin it really fast (nearly the speed of light at its surface) along its axis

Now, when you fly a spaceship around it in one direction, you’ll go back in time, the other way, forward.

A few solar masses a few Km long isn't "really long" - it's more like really tiny!

The strain would be incredible, and it is unlikely that anything could avoid being ripped apart.

As for rotation of the universe, even a very slow rotation would lead to incredible forces since the distances are so large. This would, of course, help explain the accelerating expansion of the visible universe!

Underlying rotation would, however, be fairly easy to spot in things like corialis forces on spiral galaxies, so it would have to be a fairly small rotation.

• 1 month later...

If one had a dream that a tree would fall before it does or if one calculated that that the tree would fall before it did, one would have time traveled into the future, so they could see the future of the tree. The first scenario lets the brain do the calaculations, while the second scenario allows the intellect to crunch the numbers. Maybe math and the brain allows time travel.

the back to the future movies in my opinion would have to be the best movies ever made, i just cant get enough of that movie. but i do have some contradicting thoughts about the time travel. such as if any of you have seen the second movie. in this movie he goes forward in time and we are able to see him as an old man. his girlfriend even meets herself as an older woman in the future. and my point is that if you left the past and traveled strait to the future, you would never meet your self in the future because no one would be in the past to live out your life. not that i think time travel is possible, but that is a great movie and someday we might be able to..

But she could do this if she then traveled back into the past, which was her present, and then lived out her life, right? But then the older her would have already had this experience as a younger her and be aware of anything she came to tell her.

couldnt you argue that we are time traveling now? even though some people have said that time is absolute and our mind creates the illusion of its passage. I think it is first most important to get a better understanding of the nature of time before we are able to manipulate it at will...