Science Forums

Time travel

wazzuuup

It seems to me that if multiple universes exist than they would've existed for some time now, and things wouldn't change much, at first. But if we could access these other universes, time travel and probable travel might be possible, with diverse possibilities branching out, much as space travel has done. The future may be a scary polace, but its exciting, too!

yea, they have been existing around us , but that exact date when how to get to another universe is found out , in each universe (trillions apon millions and so on by now) a different dessicion will be made, so that means that if even 1 universe decides to aproach it by sending a nuke through to another universe, that it will do that hundreds of billions of times , just in different places, end every universe would be distoryed, aka dooms day, just like saying 1 nuke xinfinity.

Wow,...that is really weird.... ;)

i mean what if time travel just is simply not possible.

youd die...and theyd have your money!

and seriously, if time travel were possible there would already be evidence becuase random people would come back now.

and have we seen any random people?

they might just be disguised but that would be pretty hard.

for one its only 10 bucks so if it doesnt work its no biggie. and if you read the whole page they talk about inserting clones back to where you where in your life to avoid the disapperences and also altering the future and if you go back to the past erasing your memory because that would also alter the future...

Time travel is an interesting thing.

I have multiple ideas upon how to do time travel. I recently saw an anime a while back that brought my idea into close into terms, but it wasn't exact.

I believe that everything in the universe leaves a small trail from where it once came from. Beings can be shifted by a small actions that create a universal chain reaction, from there things move and leave behind a trail. If you could find a way to trace this trail and bring multiple items back in position (back to where they once were) then you could perhaps find a way to go back in time. This would create a time machine. If I'm correct everything has an energy signature. Bio-hazard is my name.. i'm here at this forum at 6:02 A.M. Finding me and tracing me back to where I am in time would bring you back to that time of where I was.

There comes a few problems with time travel though. Your own being is the problem, you can turn back time easily for the Universe, more easily than yourself.

To stay alive you'll have to figure out a way to keep your molecules, energy, atoms, etc.. in their current position so that while you turn back the universe, you don't turn yourself back.. yet this will create a universal problem since electrons are constantly going from one place to another.. thus you will need an equal exchange path for materials to stay constant.. somewhat of a perpetual motion device.. ;) YATTA!

;) anyways..

Since you stay constant in position (time/space) you can turn back the universe and then go back in time without degenerating to a child/embryo.

I think the idea of a soul is what plays the most important thing here though. I mean.. if a soul exists.. and heaven.. then your soul will be out of place in the universe.. which could create a temporal time rip..screwing up the universe..

There are many other factors that play into time travel. A lot of people will see time travel as impossible, yet if you can imagine it, it can be done.

So the universal idea of everything in the universe exists would be true.

However, the universe must be constantly expanding to allow the entry and creation of more space/time.

So if you do go back in time.. you will be expanding the universe..

How much? I don't know. Which might explain breathing of in and out of the universe. Going back in time pushes out space.. coming back makes it breathe in.

The possibility that you were the one who altered time may become true. But such a thing would be a paradox. I think there is "life" on other planets who have figured out time travel along with a number of other things.. They're playing with the universe themselves. selfish aliens :)

Back to topic.. such things as you being the one who changed history could be due to the fact that you messed up the time travel math when going back in time and you played into the hand of the already done. That's a possibility which could happen. That's why I believe there are different ways of going back into time. One is playing into history by proper mistake, meaning you were suppose to do it.. or else going back in time like a jack@55 to screw with the trail energy signatures left behind, manipulating the future.

Consider these possibilities; According to Albert Einstein, time and space consist of what he called "world lines". If I were to travel back in time to say yesterday, I would find myself doing the same thing I did yesterday and wouldn't even know the difference. Now let's say that I could travel forward in time to tomarrow. I would find myself doing those same things then that I would be doing if I were just to wait until tomarrow came around. One stark example of travel into the future that does a very good job of defining the results of such a trip would be, for the sake of argument, if tomarrow I were to die, travel to tomarrow would be impossible because I would not be there. That ofcourse accepting that time travel was possible in the first place. According to this theory, even if we were to actually time travel, we could never be aware that we had made the trip.

• 4 weeks later...
OK, if for sake of argument we ignore the impossible physics of moving back in time.

GR shows an event as it's unique time/space event. Each has it's own X,Y,Z,T.

When people talk about "time travel", they seldom address the other three axis, X,Y,Z.

If you were to go from X,Y,Z,T to X',Y',Z',T' you would not only move in "time" you would move in "space".

Or perhaps if you move to X,Y,Z,T', what would the X,Y,Z, represent? Would it be you CURRENT, T location? Would, as we are in an expanding universe, that X,Y,Z, no longer be on the earth? Would the earth be at X',Y',Z',T' while your at X,Y,Z,T' ?

this, in my opinion, would solve those paradoxes about timetravel and changing events

since you would not only move in time, but also in space

which means if you were to travel back to your past, your destination would not be the same place as the 'original' place where you came from

which means everything/anything can be changed, without any changes made in your 'original' time/space

Traveling back in time. Doesn't this beg the question - what is time? I have read misc. articles on the concept of time being an artificiality, and the more I consider the issues surrounding time, the more I believe that time, as a individual concept, may be fundamentally flawed. The net result being that we end up thinking within the barriers of our own flawed thinking. When "time" is used to measure or describe something in our universe, it seems that we are confusing those things that exist with an artificial measuring system that we have created for our own purposes and comfort. For example, when one thinks about a "second", a "minute", or an "hour", aren't these temporal designations that we have created? When a "second" passes by, absent this artificial label (the word "second") what is really “passing by”? Well, seemingly it is a succession of events. I see it as pretty obvious that this succession of events consists of all the collective changes in the universe from instant to instant (changes in myself included). What I witness at one instant becomes the past an instant later, the future just an instant away.

That said, if we were able to take a snapshot of the entire universe and everything in it at one instant, (and when I say everything in the universe, I mean every conceivable thing - molecules, atoms, energy, things that exist, things that don’t, and all probabilities in between), and then we followed that snapshot with a second snapshot, and then a third, upon review we could see that there had been a succession of events. We would see that there were changes throughout the whole universe, changes in everything from one instant to the next. “Time” in my mind seems to be this very crude way of referring to this collection of changes. Time seems better understood as a collection of all of the universe’s changes from one instant to the next.

So is time, T, so divorced from XYZ? I mean I agree, when people speak of time (T), X, Y & Z are often forgotten. And I think this is exactly the problem. People look at T as a separate arm of the XYZ graph, like it is a separate dimension, when instead it seems that T is more like a product of the XYZ dimensions. Actually, I should say a product of the interaction of matter in space (the XYZ special dimensions). In particular, T seems to be a product of the overall relative movement in all that exists within XYZ.

Another way of looking at this is to pretend you existed as a one-dimensional point existing within the three dimensional XYZ world. Pretend for a moment also that you could not zap yourself out of existence. You are an ever-existing one-dimensional point sitting around in a three dimensional world. Lastly pretend that you are all that exists in that universe – you are the only point (a lonely point). Does time even exist for you? I don’t think so. What would be the reference for time? Your existence would seem in all respects static, so how would you know one moment from the next. If you even understood the concept of time, you would think that time had stopped.

Nevertheless, time would come into existence for you the moment you could change something – like zap yourself out of your particular state of existence and then come back. Time would also come about if you were joined by another one-dimensional point. Now that there are two points, distance, and existence, can be used to measure that which was, that which is, and that which will be - time. Add a third one-dimensional point into the universe and now time can be measured by existence, distance, and the relativistic position of the other points.

And this is where the difficulty in time travel becomes apparent. So how does one travel in time? Well truly “reversing time” would mean that all changes, all events, in the entire universe, would need to be backed-up or reversed to the prior state, the prior snapshot. Lets pretend we could do this. Lets pretend that we had the power to snap our fingers and manipulate everything in the universe, including our own state of existence back to an earlier moment. That’s right, considering we are members of this ever-changing universe, it would seem likely that every aspect of our state of existence would also have to reverse, or back-up, to the prior state of existence. Otherwise, we are not really traveling back in time; we are simply reorganizing everything else in the universe around us to resemble a moment that existed in the past. If we did not include ourselves, a part of the universe we are snapping into reversal, then time hasn’t reversed; rather we have placed ourselves in a future that only appears like the past. It appears like the past because we arranged everything in the universe to resemble the past. But it is not the past, because the past included that with which we are comprised of. And if we have excluded that with which we are comprised of, then by definition, it is not the past.

But then, what if we did actually include ourselves in this big universal reversal of time. What if we used our magic finger-snap, and we changed everything back to the way it all existed in the past, changing ourselves as well. Then I would ask, did we in any sense actually “travel” in time? I don’t think so. Remember, the whole idea of “time travel” is that a person gets to go back in time independent of all else in the universe. If our existence reverts right along with the rest of the universe, where has there been time travel?

Our current concept of time – for example the “second” – derives itself from the repetitive nature of our sunrise and sunset, our calendar, etc., etc. But within the frame of one elapsed second, an infinite number of “instances” have occurred in our universe. And if one considers all the matter, energy, and probabilities existing from each one of those instances to the next, the universe has changed in infinite ways an infinite number of times.

Yet almost all of the most fundamental laws of physics involve the concept of time as a measurement of “seconds”, rather then as the infinite succession of events that actually occur in the universe.

In the end I am curious, has anybody ever thought to revisit some of our most fundamental notions regarding the laws of physics, all of which involve this seemingly arbitrary/artificial concept of time, with the idea that these laws might be flawed because of said artificiality?

what i know about time travel is that it is very near impossible...it requires a worm hole to open up at a precise point (they tend to open up randomly and without notice) and then the "pilot" would have to be in some sort of stable craft. basically what a wormhole does is it takes molecules and scrambles them. in theory, one who survives a wormhole should come out scrambled and probably dead, but im not totally sure of that one.

Consider these possibilities; According to Albert Einstein, time and space consist of what he called "world lines". If I were to travel back in time to say yesterday, I would find myself doing the same thing I did yesterday and wouldn't even know the difference. Now let's say that I could travel forward in time to tomarrow. I would find myself doing those same things then that I would be doing if I were just to wait until tomarrow came around. One stark example of travel into the future that does a very good job of defining the results of such a trip would be, for the sake of argument, if tomarrow I were to die, travel to tomarrow would be impossible because I would not be there. That ofcourse accepting that time travel was possible in the first place. According to this theory, even if we were to actually time travel, we could never be aware that we had made the trip.

Interesting Points. Does this mean you believe, that if you travel back in Time today and you find yourself doing the same thing with out noticing yesterday, you will be one day younger than (present time) today. If you traveled into the future by 10 years, would you have aged by ten years?

Time travel..hmm

Well this were my knowledge is best .

Ther are a few ways to make time travelling possible (in theory)

i will only speek of one.

lets start.

if we would be able to build a giant cylinder

in space.

Step 1

with a diameter of 1/10 of its length

step2

Spin this Cylinder at 1/2c

after we would succed in spinning it at 1/2c

time-space would become deformed at the edge's of the cylinder.

After this The deformed space will reaproch and form a "Artificial darc hole" in the midle of the cylinder.

then with a space ship spining around the cylinder Cloak wise or counter cloak wise you would go in the future or the passt..the more spins around the cyliner the further you will travel.

only one problem you will not be able to go back in time before the creation of the cylinder..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A thereory that really grabbed my attention is that if you travel into the past, you can't change the future. This is because you were already there to cause the event to make this present. For example, if I went back to 1913 and killed an important leader, the future wouldn't change because when 1913 was the present time, I appeared and killed him.

In accordance with my theories and those that I agree with, the future would be altered, and it'd just depend on which one of the infinate futures/pasts you went to initially, and which one you returned to in the end.

I feel it is possible to go any direction through time, but in doing so you must abandon all that is akin to your dimension of origin (i.e. all things physical)

As "an energy body" we are as free to move through time as a child in a swimming pool.

It's just a matter of gaining control during this state.

These are my private understandings and I dont doubt the ability for this to be flipped on it's head.

Anyhow...