Science Forums

Time travel

wazzuuup

A thereory that really grabbed my attention is that if you travel into the past, you can't change the future. This is because you were already there to cause the event to make this present. For example, if I went back to 1913 and killed an important leader, the future wouldn't change because when 1913 was the present time, I appeared and killed him.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

There is also the "theory" that if you go back into time and touch your earlier self, you turn into some grotesque blob. I forget which Schwartzenger movie that "theory" is based on.

If I remeber right it is the movie "timecop".

• 4 weeks later...

wazzuuup-and no one else- i have a theory on time travel. basically it says that time travel with the mind is not only possible, but has been done. in fact, you may not know it, but you probably time travel every single day. i will post it here. i do hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: Deleted by the moderator because of duplicate posting.

Originally posted by: CD27

wazzuuup-and no one else-

Suddenly this is a private chat site?

i have a theory on time travel. basically it says that time travel with the mind is not only possible, but has been done.

Ah yes, the good old '60's. I did mind travel all the time back then! The bigger the doobie, the farther the journey!

hi everyone re time travel heres somethingthing to think about:

if you were to step backward in time say about 1 minute after 1 minute goes by you will step backward again because you did it before therefore being in a ever repeating loop. A simular thing would happen if you stepped forward your arrival would keep repeating.

If therefore one accepts that you cant step forward or backward even for the minutest amount of time, HOW LONG IS NOW?

Anthanog

OK, if for sake of argument we ignore the impossible physics of moving back in time.

GR shows an event as it's unique time/space event. Each has it's own X,Y,Z,T.

When people talk about "time travel", they seldom address the other three axis, X,Y,Z.

If you were to go from X,Y,Z,T to X',Y',Z',T' you would not only move in "time" you would move in "space".

Or perhaps if you move to X,Y,Z,T', what would the X,Y,Z, represent? Would it be you CURRENT, T location? Would, as we are in an expanding universe, that X,Y,Z, no longer be on the earth? Would the earth be at X',Y',Z',T' while your at X,Y,Z,T' ?

Originally posted by: Frogon

I think that you would have to change your X, Y, and Z because the earth is moving and rotating, so if you just changed the T, it would have to be to the exact second years later.

You are assuming that in a year, the earth would be back at the same location in the universe. While in reality we would have travelled some distance as the universe is expanding.

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

The sun is moving around the galaxy and the galaxy is moving through the universe. It would be very difficult to know exactly where X,Y,Z will be.

Do we even have any reference for locating our existence X,Y,Z in the universe? Is such a thing possible?