Tormod

I'm truly sorry man's dominion

Has broken Nature's social union,

An' justifies that ill opinion

Which makes thee startle

At me, thy poor, earth born companion

An' fellow mortal!

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;

What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!

A daimen icker in a thrave

'S a sma' request:

I'll get a blessin' wi' the lave,

And never miss't!

Thy wee bit housie, too, in ruin;

Its silly wa's the win's are strewin'!

An' naething, now, to big a new ane,

O' foggage green!

An' bleak December's winds ensuin',

Baith snell and keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,

An' weary winter comin' fast,

An' cozie here, beneath the blast,

Thou thought to dwell,

'Till, crash! the cruel coulter past

Out thro' thy cell.

• 2 weeks later...

But as the act of attention has no connotation at all, but is the pure denotative power of the mind, that is to say, the power which directs the mind to an object, in contradistinction to the power of thinking any predicate of that object, -- so the conception of what is present in general, which is nothing but the general recognition of what is contained in attention, has no connotation, and therefore no proper unity. *

It is useless. Useless, said the Preacher. Life is useless, all useless. You spend your life working, laboring, and what do you have to show for it?

Generations come and generations go, but the world stays just the same. The sun still rises, and it still sets, going wearily back to where it must start all over again. The wind blows south, the wind blows north—round and round and back again. Every river flows into the sea, but the sea is never full. The water returns to where the rivers began, and starts all over again. Everything leads to weariness—a weariness too great for words. Our eyes can never see enough to be satisfied; our ears can never hear enough.

What has happened before will happen again. What has been done before will be done again. There is nothing new under the sun. Look, they say, here is something new! But no, it has all happened before, long before we were born. No one remembers what has happened in the past, and no one in days to come will remember what happens between now and then. There is nothing new under the sun.

-Solomon

~modest