Science Forums

Katrina Relief CD - please buy!

Tormod

I think the "we" is the media. They are the ones with knee-jerk reactions to the most recent crises. And it is their spotlight that focuses on whatever sensational horrors move the most copies. The blame is not theirs' alone as we the consumers are the ones who give them monetary reward for behaving this way. And shame on us for expecting instead virtue or morality to sway the nations.
Well put.

How can we focus media attention on the needs of humanity? Poverty, starvation, tribal warfare, and abuse of women goes on all the time, unreported. Meanwhile, a dozen coal mine workers are trapped for a few days and that's all we hear about on the news. (Then when they are rescued, everyone praises God.)

I'm not taken in by it. Why? Am I more enlightened? Am I crazy?

I think it's pretty thankless of you to hijack my attempt to sell the Katrina Relief CD, which I personally have spent more than 100 hours working on, and which at least 45 other people have spent countless hours on as well. Why is it not okay to work hard to support one case?

Considering that I live in Norway there's no particular reason I should choose to raise funds for the Katrina Victims - however I know that when the money goes to the two charities we support, it also gives them more (albeit extremely small) strength to put into their efforts elsewhere.

Your petty concerns about which projects are good enough for you to support belong in the social sciences forum or even the watercooler. Please take them out of here before I do it.

Exactly. At least Tormod is doing *something*, and I think he should be congratulated rather than attacked. It's true that there are millions of worthy causes out there, but we (Hypography) can't get to them all, and we have to start somewhere. And just because the members of Hypography are getting involved in international disaster relief, it doesn't mean we aren't individually involved in our local charities as well.

I think it's pretty thankless of you to hijack my attempt to sell the Katrina Relief CD, which I personally have spent more than 100 hours working on, and which at least 45 other people have spent countless hours on as well. Why is it not okay to work hard to support one case?

Considering that I live in Norway there's no particular reason I should choose to raise funds for the Katrina Victims - however I know that when the money goes to the two charities we support, it also gives them more (albeit extremely small) strength to put into their efforts elsewhere.

Your petty concerns about which projects are good enough for you to support belong in the social sciences forum or even the watercooler. Please take them out of here before I do it.

Who are you addressing? I didn't see anyone in the list being critical of your support for the Katrina victims.

So. Does it really matter what cause a group or even an individual chooses to help or their reason for doing so? Curently the spotlight is on the victims of the Asian Earthquake and many groups and individuals will choose to help this cause. Some will do so because the media brought it to their attention. Will you fault them for doing so just because it's the crisis in the spotlight for now? Is there some reason you think these people don't need the help because their story is in the spotlight?

P.S.

Who is the we that you are referring to?

The "we" is the respondents to the most recent crisis or disaster. We, in the ideal sense shoudl be the human population who cares about the welfare of all, not just when it's in the spotlight. Everywhere and all the time.

I am referring to this, Linda:

My point is, that we are flailing around, making knee-jerk reactions to whatever gets the most media attention at the time, then on to another crisis that takes over it's spotlight.

You are performing a thread hijack and you are basically telling people not to support our CD project because we are running after the media. Your clarification of "we" just underlines this.

I am sorry that you are unable to take the obvious hint I dropped above and move your discussion of this over to the Social Sciences forum.

150 preorders and almost $3600 dollars raised is proof that projects like this is a good way to support relief work. There will be plenty of projects for the earthquake victims (even here at Hypography).

Tormod, I am very much in favor of Katrina relief and all other relief as well. My concern is that the public is so selective. Maybe that's because the media is controlled by profit driven monopolies that are located primarily in the US. What about millions of people dying iin other parts of the world from preventable disasters? Why aren't you selling CDs to benefit people in Sub-Saharan Africa? Linda

P.S. Tormod, I think linda was tongue-in-cheek with these questions, deriding the reluctance of people to contribute after the media moves on... (out on a limb?)

I am referring to this, Linda:

You are performing a thread hijack and you are basically telling people not to support our CD project because we are running after the media. Your clarification of "we" just underlines this.

Tormod, You completely misunderstood, or I gave a bad explanation of my opinion on humanitarian projects. I see now that the thread belongs in another forum. But when I read about your project purpose and thought of how I felt about such things, the only place to put a reply seemed to be with the existing posts.

Sorry if I offended you. It was not intended. I certainly appreciate everyone's efforts to help wherever and whenever it's needed. I think my concern has already been expressed and seconded so nothing remains to be said.

I ordered one last night, T. I can hardly wait til it gets here!

I'm very pleased that there are ordinary citizens in other parts of the world that can see the need and are doing whatever they can to help. It's a situation that still remains in the forefront of my mind, as I get very regular updates from my still-homeless-and-jobless brother. When I think of how fortunate he is to be alive, it is a huge wake-up call to me. I mean, if he had not had his daughter that weekend, I am totally certain he would have stayed.

Thanks for all you've already done to help, Tormod. And thanks to everyone that has ordered the CD. While not everyone may agree on the organization that should help, I think it's really fantastic that people are helping at all, regardless of whether the media spotlight is still on this event or not.

Kudos to Hypography, Tormod, and all of the people that are helping in their very own special (and much needed!) ways!!

:surprise: