Science Forums

I'm new at this but will give it a go

greenprof

I'm using the handle greenprof because I teach environmental education (and science ed) at the Univ of Tenn, Knoxville. I'm interested in those topics as well as international education. I made my first visit to the middle east this summer to present a paper at a conference in Yemen. I'm also interested in issues of epistemology in education, and the applications of technology in education. I live in Salem, VA with my wife, an Episcopal priest, daughter (16) and 2 sons (11, 9) and golden retriever, Luke.

Michael

I'm using the handle greenprof because I teach environmental education (and science ed) at the Univ of Tenn, Knoxville. I'm interested in those topics as well as international education. I made my first visit to the middle east this summer to present a paper at a conference in Yemen. I'm also interested in issues of epistemology in education, and the applications of technology in education. I live in Salem, VA with my wife, an Episcopal priest, daughter (16) and 2 sons (11, 9) and golden retriever, Luke.

Michael

welcome. ;) i think we all need green education .so i look forward to your posts :shrug:

I'm using the handle greenprof because I teach environmental education (and science ed) at the Univ of Tenn, Knoxville. I'm interested in those topics as well as international education.

Kewl! Under what issued EPA variance is some 100 million tons of incredibly polluted water being pumped from New Orleans into Lake Pontchartrain? Tens of thousands of automobile gasoline tanks' contents and crankcases' oil (and at least 200 school buses), hundreds of thousands of pounds of raw human feces and urine, thousands of soaked dead bodies, leachate from tens of thousands of buildings submerged 10 feet deep, thousands of electrical transformers, asbestos from building insulation and I-beam fireproofing, heat exchange fluids, machining oils and lubricants, heavy metals (leached lead paint), 400 km^2 of a century of miscellaneous city schmutz, unknown hazards from pollutant synergism... Why isn't evey liter being transported in DOT-approved armored containment for safe disposal?

Where is the Environmental Impact Report? What about the federally legislated abundant edangered species of the area? By what act of god has local covenience superceded jackbooted State compassion? Lake Pontchartrain is a major watershed and fishery resource. Make that "was."

What contaminant identification and quantification is being performed to define future remediation of the lake ? How many platinum-cobalt units are recorded for the stuff? Can the EPA even spell "colorimetry?" Hypocrite. Liar.

Welcome, greenprof - I read some of your papers, and I really like your ideas on education. I wish that some of my science teachers had allowed us to do more actual experiments, rather than the textbook ones that seem more like baking a cake (pour 3ml of distilled water into the beaker, then...). I look forward to seeing your posts in the forums :shrug: