Science Forums

What happened to Mars?

Anchovyforestbane

A contribution of a sort for the pro-aliens side.

https://qz.com/1019806/a-stressed-sleep-deprived-couple-accidentally-invented-the-modern-alien-abduction-phenomenon/

The lead photo for the story most likely can't be of use for a depiction of an alien in the 60's because it's not being claimed to be that which was sighted.

That which 'was' claimed to have been sighted, we are led to believe, is "short people with wraparound eyes".

I have to suggest that by itself it doesn't make the case for a lookalike of the 'Close Encounters' appearance of aliens. Mor evidence is required and that evidence will have to be less ambiguous on the suggested alien's appearance.

Alien depictions in the 50's and 60's were all over the map in appearance but I still haven't found any that are presented as is the modern day standard which was introduced in 'Close Encounters'. 

1 hour ago, montgomery said:

Can you tell me why you are acting so resentful of the fact (so far a fact) that aliens didn't look at all similar to the 'Close Encounters' version until after nov.77? Why do you need to deny that as evidence? It wasn't even my own original idea you know. 

You've caused me to be confused now on whether you want to be a believer or a non-believer. Take a position and then contribute to your position. At least Thoth does take a position, but then presents evidence out of Hollywood. 

Listen, man, I don't like drama. But on the occasion that you also don't like drama and aren't actively looking for it, I must inform you:

At first it seemed you simply didn't know a thing you were talking about. But you appear to have gone off the deep end just now.

30 minutes ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

Listen, man, I don't like drama. But on the occasion that you also don't like drama and aren't actively looking for it, I must inform you:

At first it seemed you simply didn't know a thing you were talking about. But you appear to have gone off the deep end just now.

Don't just make accusations when you can provide the evidence to refute that which I've asserted on the appearance of aliens prior to nov. 77.

Who would have ever thought this was such an emotional issue to you people?

I need to do some thinking on why that is?

Don't just make accusations when you can provide the evidence to refute that which I've asserted on the appearance of aliens prior to nov. 77.

Who would have ever thought this was such an emotional issue to you people?

I need to do some thinking on why that is?

When I said you might be more like Thoth than you'd like to admit, I didn't imagine it would be this accurate.

Very well, what is this "evidence" you feel so strongly about?

Edited by Anchovyforestbane

39 minutes ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

When I said you might be more like Thoth than you'd like to admit, I didn't imagine it would be this accurate.

Follow along with your finger. I don't have the time or patience to update those who can't pay attention.

Oh, wait! You have been paying attention because now you are saying I'm like Thoth. You're just pretending to not know what I've presented as evidence.

Follow along with your finger. I don't have the time or patience to update those who can't pay attention.

Oh, wait! You have been paying attention because now you are saying I'm like Thoth. You're just pretending to not know what I've presented as evidence.

If the story of the senile old couple you posted just before is the evidence of which you speak. Unfortunately I cannot read the story (it requires a subscription, for which I do not have the means of paying), therefore I cannot prove you wrong. Unless you can provide me with an alternative source for this information, one that does not require payment.

8 hours ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

Trust me, he is not like me at all. We are complete opposites. He clings to the mainstream theory of life while I look outside the box of the mainstream. In other words, I don't believe everything I am told by the media and "authority" figures or the government. So I think both Monty and I would argue to you that we are not the same at all. Where does this leave you?

7 hours ago, montgomery said:

Hey, I think we can agree on something. We are nothing alike and maybe Anchovy should spend a little more time here and find out instead of insulting us both. 

On 10/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, Anchovyforestbane said:

I haven't implied a supernatural explanation of any kind, not once. I agree that everything within the realm of our universe has a natural explanation. 

What is so supernatural about magnetic field interactions? Do you not believe in magnetic fields? If that's the case, you might be more like Thoth than you'd like to admit.

The definition of conspiracy, and this is loosely speaking, is the intent or scheme by an either secret or public group to enact something unlawful or reprehensible. By extent, a "conspiracy theory" is one proposing or theorizing that a conspiracy is at play. In no possible way can this be applied to magnetic field interactions.

That is correct but it is quite impossible to get that through Monties head. Everything he don't agree with is a "conspiracy theory" in his mind. I think he just keeps CNN on a constant time loop.🤣

4 hours ago, Thoth101 said:

Trust me, he is not like me at all. We are complete opposites. He clings to the mainstream theory of life while I look outside the box of the mainstream. In other words, I don't believe everything I am told by the media and "authority" figures or the government. So I think both Monty and I would argue to you that we are not the same at all. Where does this leave you?

You're far more similar than either of you would like to admit. You're both extremists who have no interest in learning because you think you already know and are only interested in evidence that can be used to support your position while rejecting any contrary evidence on the basis of it either being mainstream propaganda or a conspiracy theory.

16 hours ago, montgomery said:

Can you tell me why you are acting so resentful of the fact (so far a fact) that aliens didn't look at all similar to the 'Close Encounters' version until after nov.77? Why do you need to deny that as evidence? It wasn't even my own original idea you know. 

I'm not resentful, I deny it as evidence because it's makes just as much sense for the Close Encounters aliens to be based on reported sightings.

You've caused me to be confused now on whether you want to be a believer or a non-believer. Take a position and then contribute to your position. At least Thoth does take a position, but then presents evidence out of Hollywood.

Yes I can see why that would be confusing to someone who thinks in the way that you do. My position is that there's no good reason to accept or deny the existence of aliens either existing or having visited us. It's okay not to think you know the answer, in fact it's immensely preferable if there's not enough reliable information to go on. You've hijacked this topic! This belongs in the UFO topic.

Getting back to the point, that couldn't have been what you saw because the reason Mars is so bright at the moment is because it's close to us which puts Earth right between Mars and the sun so even if Mars does have a magnetic field and if it is possible for it to light up enough for it to be seen from a distance it would be on the opposite side to us.

A-wal, thanks for cleaning up the kid's theory on Mars. You could have been quicker and more foreceful but at least it's done.

On the appearance of the aliens, you've become stubborn now and so you can't bear to admit that all the little spacemen being sighted are carbon copies of the ones shown on 'Close Encounters'. And yes, I know believing in aliens and extraestrials is very popular but  some rational thinkers can at least doubt where there is a lack of reliable evidence.

7 hours ago, Thoth101 said:

Hey, I think we can agree on something. We are nothing alike and maybe Anchovy should spend a little more time here and find out instead of insulting us both. 

I would be delighted if anchovy became your friend and fellow sympathizer. You would have an ally and then you would lose all caution and really spill it out. 

Right now you're much less fun as paranoia is setting in. Remember the comma?

A-wal, thanks for cleaning up the kid's theory on Mars. You could have been quicker and more foreceful but at least it's done.

It's cleared up because even if Mars did have a magnetotail and it were possible for it to be visible from Earth it would still be on the opposite side to us, not because magnetotails are (lol) conspiratorial or supernatural.

On the appearance of the aliens, you've become stubborn now and so you can't bear to admit that all the little spacemen being sighted are carbon copies of the ones shown on 'Close Encounters'. And yes, I know believing in aliens and extraestrials is very popular but  some rational thinkers can at least doubt where there is a lack of reliable evidence.

For the lasting fcking time moron, the aliens depicted in Close Encounters could be based on reported sightings!

I've made it clear on numerous occasions that I'm not convinced one way or the other so of course I have doubt.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? Nobody is this thick!

2 hours ago, A-wal said:

It's cleared up because even if Mars did have a magnetotail and it were possible for it to be visible from Earth it would still be on the opposite side to us, not because magnetotails are (lol) conspiratorial or supernatural.

For the lasting fcking time moron, the aliens depicted in Close Encounters could be based on reported sightings!

I've made it clear on numerous occasions that I'm not convinced one way or the other so of course I have doubt.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? Nobody is this thick!

No, it's cleared up because you had to for some reason. Why did you try to get it past me to begin with?

Yes, the aliens in 'Close Encounters' could be based on reported sightings.  And that calls for a bit of an investigation on the question to determine if it's the other way around. So why do you insist on dying on that hill? Sorry I have to keep pursuing this with you A-wal but you're the best I've got here on this board.

Do you think I'm thick? I don't mind, I'll be whatever you like. I'm somewhat worried about your personality too but I'm not going to get into any heavy insults because you're about as good as it gets on this clusterfuk.

I'm still quite worried about your ridiculous bragging about being a martial arts pro or whatever it is you claim. And I can't just write-off your support for our resident crackpot Thoth. However, I understand that you talked yourself into a corner on that one.

You should check out Thoth's vid on the world's greatest UFO story, or whatever the hell it's supposed to be. A normal person would be ashamed of posting that kind of crap.

There's not much hope left here A-wal and so if it wasn't for you for a prospect of something normal and Thoth as a big fkn laugh, it's doomed. I've tried! 

p.s. You're afraid of taking a position on UFO's and the aliens. 

Edited by montgomery

Holy Mackerel, what have I missed.
Honestly, a part of me is glad I missed it.

9 hours ago, A-wal said:

Getting back to the point, that couldn't have been what you saw because the reason Mars is so bright at the moment is because it's close to us which puts Earth right between Mars and the sun so even if Mars does have a magnetic field and if it is possible for it to light up enough for it to be seen from a distance it would be on the opposite side to us.

Perhaps the "tail" was no property of Mars itself, as might be indicated by its change in length and orientation, but rather of some phenomenon between us and Mars.
On the other hand, perhaps the length and orientation of the 'tail" only changed from our perspective, specifically because of the direction in which the magnetotail has turned.
What are the thoughts on this?

3 hours ago, montgomery said:

No, it's cleared up because you had to for some reason. Why did you try to get it past me to begin with?

Yes, the aliens in 'Close Encounters' could be based on reported sightings.  And that calls for a bit of an investigation on the question to determine if it's the other way around. So why do you insist on dying on that hill? Sorry I have to keep pursuing this with you A-wal but you're the best I've got here on this board.

Do you think I'm thick? I don't mind, I'll be whatever you like. I'm somewhat worried about your personality too but I'm not going to get into any heavy insults because you're about as good as it gets on this clusterfuk.

I'm still quite worried about your ridiculous bragging about being a martial arts pro or whatever it is you claim. And I can't just write-off your support for our resident crackpot Thoth. However, I understand that you talked yourself into a corner on that one.

You should check out Thoth's vid on the world's greatest UFO story, or whatever the hell it's supposed to be. A normal person would be ashamed of posting that kind of crap.

There's not much hope left here A-wal and so if it wasn't for you for a prospect of something normal and Thoth as a big fkn laugh, it's doomed. I've tried! 

p.s. You're afraid of taking a position on UFO's and the aliens. 

I suggest you research a little something called the Dunning-Kruger effect. Perhaps at that point the ratio of your arrogance to your self awareness won't be quite so staggering; I personally wouldn't count on it, though.

3 hours ago, montgomery said:

I'm still quite worried about your ridiculous bragging about being a martial arts pro or whatever it is you claim.

What's this now? As a moderately experienced martial artist myself, my interest has been piqued. 

14 minutes ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

Holy Mackerel, what have I missed.
Honestly, a part of me is glad I missed it.

Perhaps the "tail" was no property of Mars itself, as might be indicated by its change in length and orientation, but rather of some phenomenon between us and Mars.
On the other hand, perhaps the length and orientation of the 'tail" only changed from our perspective, specifically because of the direction in which the magnetotail has turned.
What are the thoughts on this?

Strange that you so far appear to be the only one on our planet to report a tail on Mars! 

And you've seen it twice!

Have you and your daddy been out travelling behind Mars again?

Let it go kid, you're making an *** of yourself. 

Edited by montgomery

2 minutes ago, montgomery said:

Strange that you so far appear to be the only one on our planet to report a tail on Mars! 

And you've seen it twice! 

Even if that is correct, it was wise of you to choose the word "report" and not "observe". Maybe there is still some sense in that noggin.