Science Forums

What happened to Mars?

Anchovyforestbane

5 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

While it’s not my intention to distract from the interesting twists and turns in this thread, but is it possible that this is what you saw?

A weird long cloud on Mars has returned. It's right on schedule, scientists say.

It seems this cloud shows up around this time of year but it is doubtful it can be spotted with the naked eye. Still, under just the right conditions maybe it’s possible?

ef4iWeCMXLr7YmY4i3Cusf-970-80.jpg

That cloud resembles a comet's tail??

He saw Mars and he imagined up in his head the comet tail, or at best saw a natural phenomenon. Better to pursue the OP poster to test if he's going to stick to his story, rather than help promote another stupid conspiracy theory for Thoth to go off on.

5 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

While it’s not my intention to distract from the interesting twists and turns in this thread, but is it possible that this is what you saw?

A weird long cloud on Mars has returned. It's right on schedule, scientists say.

It seems this cloud shows up around this time of year but it is doubtful it can be spotted with the naked eye. Still, under just the right conditions maybe it’s possible?

ef4iWeCMXLr7YmY4i3Cusf-970-80.jpg

It is very similar in shape, so it could be a potential lead! However, what I observed was much larger; seemingly several times the length of the star itself just like a comet (and very red in color, also just like the star). However, both meteorology and photochemistry might have a role in this effect. What are everybody's thoughts on this?

On 10/17/2020 at 10:25 AM, Anchovyforestbane said:

It is very similar in shape, so it could be a potential lead! However, what I observed was much larger; seemingly several times the length of the star itself just like a comet (and very red in color, also just like the star). However, both meteorology and photochemistry might have a role in this effect. What are everybody's thoughts on this?

My thoughts  on it are that you saw Mars, you embellished your story by adding a comet tail to it, and now you're just being dishonest by not admitting it. So yes, Mars is quite spectacular to see right now but none of that requries any supernatural explanation for the reason why. 

Maybe you can find some others who have more patience with this sort of crap. Encourage Thoth a little and you'll likely get something along the lines of what you're needing.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:25 PM, Anchovyforestbane said:

I think Mars hasa weak magnetic field so maybe it got hit with a CME while you were looking at it and it reacted to produce a tail. No idea if that's possible, just a wild guess.

2 hours ago, A-wal said:

I think Mars hasa weak magnetic field so maybe it got hit with a CME while you were looking at it and it reacted to produce a tail. No idea if that's possible, just a wild guess.

Very possibly.
I thank you for actually contributing to the topic, instead of picking fights like Montgomery over here.

Update:

Something very similar appears to have happened about half an hour ago. However, it was not nearly as bright this time around; additionally, the "tail" was much shorter, and seemed to have been rotated a few degrees counterclockwise relative to last time. These two changes having coincided leads me to suspect that a trick of the light might be involved. Any ideas regarding the specifics of such a phenomenon?

18 hours ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

Very possibly.
I thank you for actually contributing to the topic, instead of picking fights like Montgomery over here.

That's not fair! I'm only trying to have you look for a natural explanation for what you saw, as well as trying to have you back off on the tail you've imagined. It's not there no matter what supernatural explanation A-wal attempts to provide you with. He's encouraging some sort of conspiracy theory because he now knows you're susceptible to that kind of explanation. 

Stick with your 'trick of light' and work on duplicating the phenomenon again. It's far more realistic than A-wal's magnetic field imaginings. 

And if you're already over the edge, talk to Thoth for a more satisfactory explanation.

27 minutes ago, montgomery said:

That's not fair! I'm only trying to have you look for a natural explanation for what you saw, as well as trying to have you back off on the tail you've imagined. It's not there no matter what supernatural explanation A-wal attempts to provide you with. He's encouraging some sort of conspiracy theory because he now knows you're susceptible to that kind of explanation. 

Stick with your 'trick of light' and work on duplicating the phenomenon again. It's far more realistic than A-wal's magnetic field imaginings. 

And if you're already over the edge, talk to Thoth for a more satisfactory explanation.

I must inquire why it is you impose that the tail must necessarily have been imagined, or that the concept of a magnetic field interaction is a conspiracy theory (seriously, are you sure you know what "conspiracy" means?). Are you suggesting there are no possible natural explanations for these things? That simply sounds like giving up to me. 

3 minutes ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

I must inquire why it is you impose that the tail must necessarily have been imagined, or that the concept of a magnetic field interaction is a conspiracy theory (seriously, are you sure you know what "conspiracy" means?). Are you suggesting there are no possible natural explanations for these things? That simply sounds like giving up to me. 

I'm suggesting that there is a natural explanation for these sort of things!! And in my opinion, there is always a natural explanation! That's my opinion and I suggest you try to acknowledge that even though you may not be of the same opinion. And fwiw, I consider a what a person sees that causes them to start thinking of the supernatural, can also be attributed to the 'natural'. That of course includes apparations that are procuded by a person's mind.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you are imagining seeing something; that's only one possibility out of many. And fwiw, I'm going to go out on a limb and declare that A-wal's explanation is coming from his propensity of jumping into the supernatural too quickly. I may be wrong on that but I feel pretty safe saying that my limb I'm on is going to hold me up. The onus is on A-wal and you to prove otherwise.

I'm baffled at your question on me not accepting the 'natural' as an explanation when that's exactly what I've done!

Yes, I understand what the word 'conspiracy' means. It can be loosely appled to A-wal's attempt at an explanation.

Just now, montgomery said:

I'm suggesting that there is a natural explanation for these sort of things!! And in my opinion, there is always a natural explanation! That's my opinion and I suggest you try to acknowledge that even though you may not be of the same opinion. And fwiw, I consider a what a person sees that causes them to start thinking of the supernatural, can also be attributed to the 'natural'. That of course includes apparations that are procuded by a person's mind.

I haven't implied a supernatural explanation of any kind, not once. I agree that everything within the realm of our universe has a natural explanation. 

3 minutes ago, montgomery said:

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you are imagining seeing something; that's only one possibility out of many. And fwiw, I'm going to go out on a limb and declare that A-wal's explanation is coming from his propensity of jumping into the supernatural too quickly. I may be wrong on that but I feel pretty safe saying that my limb I'm on is going to hold me up. The onus is on A-wal and you to prove otherwise.

What is so supernatural about magnetic field interactions? Do you not believe in magnetic fields? If that's the case, you might be more like Thoth than you'd like to admit.

5 minutes ago, montgomery said:

Yes, I understand what the word 'conspiracy' means. It can be loosely appled to A-wal's attempt at an explanation.

The definition of conspiracy, and this is loosely speaking, is the intent or scheme by an either secret or public group to enact something unlawful or reprehensible. By extent, a "conspiracy theory" is one proposing or theorizing that a conspiracy is at play. In no possible way can this be applied to magnetic field interactions.

1 hour ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

I haven't implied a supernatural explanation of any kind, not once. I agree that everything within the realm of our universe has a natural explanation. 

What is so supernatural about magnetic field interactions? Do you not believe in magnetic fields? If that's the case, you might be more like Thoth than you'd like to admit.

The definition of conspiracy, and this is loosely speaking, is the intent or scheme by an either secret or public group to enact something unlawful or reprehensible. By extent, a "conspiracy theory" is one proposing or theorizing that a conspiracy is at play. In no possible way can this be applied to magnetic field interactions.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:47 PM, montgomery said:

On 10/21/2020 at 6:34 PM, montgomery said:

I'm baffled at your question on me not accepting the 'natural' as an explanation when that's exactly what I've done!

What the fcuk is wrong with you? The Earth has a magnetotail and the magnetosphere lights up when charged particles from the sun interact with it, such as during a CME. I don't know if the magnetotail would ever be visible from a distance or if the same thing could happen to Mars as I already said, or if Mars even has a magnetotail for that matter but it certainly isn't a supernatural or conspiratorial explanation.

Of course there's a natural explanation, it's impossible for there not to be. If something is real then it exists in nature and can't be supernatural by definition.

How could someone who's as thick as you obviously are possibly consider yourself some kind of authority on discerning fact from fiction? It's hilarious.

11 minutes ago, A-wal said:

What the fcuk is wrong with you? The Earth has a magnetotail and the magnetosphere lights up when charged particles from the sun interact with it, such as during a CME. I don't know if the magnetotail would ever be visible from a distance or if the same thing could happen to Mars as I already said, or if Mars even has a magnetotail for that matter but it certainly isn't a supernatural or conspiratorial explanation.

Of course there's a natural explanation, it's impossible for there not to be. If something is real then it exists in nature and can't be supernatural by definition.

How could someone who's as thick as you obviously are possibly consider yourself some kind of authority on discerning fact from fiction? It's hilarious.

If you don't know if the magnetotail would be seen from a distance then why did you invent that conspriacy theory? Face it, the kid embellished his story about Mars the first time and then told the same lie the second time, which just happened to be the time when he needed to reinforce the nonsense.

Look A-wal, Mars is very bright in the night sky right now and that all there is to it!

The best your comments are going to do for you is just show that you're into supernatural imaginings when natural explanations will do fine. I'll now be able to use that against you on the UFO debate.

I mean really? Do you think Mars has a tail?

4 minutes ago, montgomery said:

If you don't know if the magnetotail would be seen from a distance then why did you invent that conspriacy theory? Face it, the kid embellished his story about Mars the first time and then told the same lie the second time, which just happened to be the time when he needed to reinforce the nonsense.

Look A-wal, Mars is very bright in the night sky right now and that all there is to it!

The best your comments are going to do for you is just show that you're into supernatural imaginings when natural explanations will do fine. I'll now be able to use that against you on the UFO debate.

I mean really? Do you think Mars has a tail?

Do you really think Earth doesn't? If Mars has a magnetic field then it has to have a magnetotail and it also has to have it's own version of our nothern and southern lights.

I know you're desperite to have something to use in the UFO debate because as soon as you take a definite position on one side or the other you don't have a leg to stand on but really this is a little pathetic.

You still seem to incapable of understanding that a supernatural explanation is impossible by definition.

2 minutes ago, A-wal said:

Do you really think Earth doesn't? If Mars has a magnetic field then it has to have a magnetotail and it also has to have it's own version of our nothern and southern lights.

I know you're desperite to have something to use in the UFO debate because as soon as you take a definite position on one side or the other you don't have a leg to stand on but really this is a little pathetic.

You still seem to incapable of understanding that a supernatural explanation is impossible by definition.

I'm being as thorough as I can be on the UFO topic, considering that it's not easy to present a lot of evidence against them. But nobody is really taking it upon themselves to present any pro-side either.

I'm in no way confused about what a supernatural explanation means. I hold that a supernatural explanation is impossible by definition, but keeping in mind that a supernatural definition is only that until it can be shown to be natural..

Can you tell me why you are acting so resentful of the fact (so far a fact) that aliens didn't look at all similar to the 'Close Encounters' version until after nov.77? Why do you need to deny that as evidence? It wasn't even my own original idea you know. 

You've caused me to be confused now on whether you want to be a believer or a non-believer. Take a position and then contribute to your position. At least Thoth does take a position, but then presents evidence out of Hollywood.