Science Forums

Moneyless society : Would it benefit society?

Kizzi

Wow folks!!! Where have we got to now?

Replicators that can replicate entire theatres? Perhaps even the most excellent performers too! Replicate the likes of Koopman, Leonhardt, Hogwood, Kirkby, Savall, the various Kuikens, and then we'd sure be living!

:surprise:

:hihi:

And... of coooooourse!!!!! How about Claudia Schiffer? :lol:

Dear Hypography, I never thought it would happen to me. I was using my replicator like any free spirited young man of my ample endowment would, when I came *huh huh* across a recipe for red-headed in triplets dressed in vegetable oil...

Anyone care to complete the scene?

Bill

Dear Hypography, I never thought it would happen to me. I was using my replicator like any free spirited young man of my ample endowment would, when I came *huh huh* across a recipe for red-headed in triplets dressed in vegetable oil...

Anyone care to complete the scene?

Then they started playing naked crisco twister with a bubble machine in the background...

...so I replicated myself a few dozen condoms and we began to...

Tricky to do balloon animals with slippy hands...

The availability of a replicator would cause all sorts of issues. Could it replicate itself? If so, then I suspect it would be limited by license and fiat to not do so, with code inside to prevent parts being made. Imagine if everyone had one!

Even like that, though, where would raw materials come from? New laws would be passed overnight banning the use, as you were stealing the (air, water, sewage, rubbish, etc.) which would suddenly become scarce.

Resources would again become limiting. As the song says, "Everything counts in large amounts" - and if it doesn't, then you haven't thought large enough!

As regards substance abuse, it would become rampant, as those inclined would have all they wanted. However, the effect on a society where useful work from a person was limited to what they could create as a masterpeice for sale under strict terms regarding copying, would be tiny compared to the shift in the rest of life!

Murder and debt/score settling would be interesting, too. With a machine that could make anything/replicate anything, for almost zero cost, taking over the world would be very simple. Type in "999999999" and step into it with your plan fully formed. Even better, hack all of these machines first, and step in holding an assault rifle and a few thousand rounds, as well as some neat encrypted radio, etc. in a full special forces mode. Turn around and destroy the machine. You win. Well, kind of!

This appears to have become the Star Trek replicator thread. So be it – it’s an excellent thought experiment in the extremes of supply/demand economics.

The availability of a replicator would cause all sorts of issues. Could it replicate itself? If so, then I suspect it would be limited by license and fiat to not do so, with code inside to prevent parts being made.
A futuristic descendent of the current Digital Rights Management debate over CDs and DVDs. If information really proves that it “wants to be free”, things should work out OK. Otherwise, I suspect human future history won’t have replicators in it – or maybe even CDs :)
Even like that, though, where would raw materials come from?
For simply supporting human survival and pleasure, the total mass required by replicators wouldn’t be an extraordinary large multiple of the total mass of humanity. In terms of mass (but not energy) they’re very efficient recyclers – a replicator civilization would have very little human produced waste, but require staggering amounts of energy.
As regards substance abuse, it would become rampant, as those inclined would have all they wanted.
The Star Trek “gospel according the Gene Rodenberry” assumes that mental disorders, including drug abuse, would be made vanishingly rare by scientific advances in Psychiatry. This is, after all, Science Fiction.
With a machine that could make anything/replicate anything, for almost zero cost, taking over the world would be very simple. Type in "999999999" and step into it with your plan fully formed
Wouldn’t work, for at least 3 reasons:
  1. STrek replicators are energy-expensive matter transformers, not mass-energy conservation-violating matter creators/free energy generators. “999999999” (10^9) of nearly anything larger than microscopic, while not prohibitive in mass requirements (10^9 100 kg human beings is only a miniscule fraction of the Earth’s 3*10^22 kg crust), would gobble up more than any individual’s share of distributed energy. Recall (if you’re fan enough) that the power system of choice in STrek is antimatter annihilation, and antimatter is manufactured by less than 1% efficient stellar energy receiving factories in close orbit with a systems star. While energy in the STrek civilization is many powers of 10 times more abundant than now, it remains limited. Energy is the limited commodity in the STrek economy.
  2. STrek replicators make only approximate copies of things, limiting them to making inanimate or simple biological materials. To copy human beings, you need a transporter, which, as any of several “Physics of Star Trek” sources can tell you, are almost certainly possible only as fiction.
  3. Time. Replicators take a while to replicate things. So, unless you begin by replicating replicators which replicate replicator (… about 30 times), replicating 10^9 anything will take a prohibitive amount of time. Since future DRM presumably makes this impossible, only evil criminal despots will have access to such technology, and since future super-Psychiatry has eliminated evil criminal despots (or at least institutionalized them on asylum or marooned them on primitive planets), this is extra-double-impossible, squared. :cup:

There are a lot of assumptions in the fictional future civilization of STrek, none of them much supported by evidence. So, even if replicators are someday possible, widespread, and available to all such that they promote a moneyless society, that society may well resemble the one in Charles Stross’s novel Accelerando more than the one in Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek.

The availability of a replicator would cause all sorts of issues. Could it replicate itself? If so, then I suspect it would be limited by license and fiat to not do so, with code inside to prevent parts being made. Imagine if everyone had one!

That's just it... for the moneyless society to work, everyone must have one.

Also, I want to commend CraigD for his posts (although very reluctantly and cautiously proposed) in this thread (see Post #68 as well as Post #78). Although this thread has morphed a bit, and is impossible to discuss with any certainty considering no such thing as a replicator has been made (except maybe for the 3D fax machine), your comments have been informative and and well thought out.

Hip hip? Hooray! Hip hip? Hooray!

:)

:cup:

• 1 month later...

How large is say, the united states yearly budget? I know it is so large that if spent properly could end poverty, homelessness, poor education, bla bla...

I wonder how well that system would go over? You work at your job, you get your electronic card or device that records your hours, then you take it down to the national money despenser, your wage, which is decided and controlled by government matters, multiplied by the hours recorded gives you the funds you rightly deserve and then you send them whereever..

Yah how poorly is this thought out, I know.. I digress

You cannot eliminate poverty. That infringes upon the rights of those who choose to be impoverished. Life is a competition. Everything is competition. There are winners and losers. If you take away the losing, you take away the pain. If you take away the winning you take away the pleasure. Pain and pleasure are the two key motivators in life. Take away motivation and what is left?

If you choose to not compete, that is fine for you. But don't choose that for those who thrive upon the competition. They are the ones who move the world to new achievements.

Bill

thats all good and dandy, but what about everyone who cant get a job? there are many who cannot get hired becuase they have no special skills and cannot afford to go to school because they have no money, and have no money becuase they cannot get a job. unemployment isnt always pure laziness.