Science Forums

Favorite finger food, bugs?!

alxian

would you eat bugs to suppliment your diet if you knew that they were much better for you than animal meat and junk food?

more nnutritious, very low curve for the taste and texture, less wasteful in terms of resources when considered against raising cattle chickens pigs etc.

it would be like agriculture in terms of raising bugs in very controlled environments (further increasing safety), and morally culling insects is easier, UV exposure or heat sources (killing and homogenizing and cooking in one easy step).

in terms of grubs they would make excellent finger food. properly prepared they can easily replace chips or popcorn while greatly increasing our daily nutrient intake.

we could replace sausages with worms or bigger grubs, again greatly incresing the nutritional value of a hotdog and avoiding some of the safety hazards of storing and preparing meat.

lastly bug meat makes for a much better replacement for real meat than tofu or other vegetarian products, its still meat of course so you won't be a vegetarian.

save a cow, eat a grub.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some bugs are less complex than the livestock we destroy for food.

grubs can be grown in earth that is perfectly sanitized with only the nutrients the grubs require to grow.

much like plants you eat the bugs can be as heatly.

plus they have 3 to 4 times as much protein, that alone without the extra chemical compounds a cow needs to survive means less cleaning is required (if any) when preparing insect stock for consumption.

a perfect analogue is in the island, we grown entire animals (clones) let them live sham lives until we need then, then brutally murder them for food where so much of the animal goes to waste.

bugs represent the agnate, where bugs can be used in full or nearly, while save for the entomologists no one would cry foul at culling a swarm of grasshopper or locust. slaughtering animals for food though does raise moral issues as those animals are emotional and intelligent.

i imagine a day when informed consumers could pay half as much for a kilo of BBQ meal worms to 3 dollars for a bag of lays of less than half the weight.

of course finding a live one in every bag might not be something to advertise until after peeps have gotten used to the idea of munching on bugs.

I certainly wouldn't make the substitution just to save a cow though.
Hey rocky.....do you think this save the cow movement got started in India? You know, I've heard that cows are worshipped in that part of the world. Maybe if we started worshiping bugs here in America we could start a Save the Bugs Movement. Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha

Hey rocky.....do you think this save the cow movement got started in India? You know, I've heard that cows are worshipped in that part of the world. Maybe if we started worshiping bugs here in America we could start a Save the Bugs Movement. Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha

ha, yea, they also worship rats. An Indian friend of mine told me he didn't eat beef because of the sacred cow and stuff, but after a year of hanging out with me at work, I got him eating burgers.

oh, by the way, the "Save the Bugs" movement is already in practice by Tibetan monks I believe :eek_big:

a perfect analogue is in the island, we grown entire animals (clones) let them live sham lives until we need then, then brutally murder them for food where so much of the animal goes to waste.

sheesh... learn the difference between kill and murder

.... as those animals are emotional and intelligent.

You consider a cow to be intelligent? By the way, I noticed how again you think of one thing as being lower than another thing. For instance how you thought it was low for someone to clean houses for a living and you now think that a bug is lower than a cow but you still think how it is brutal murder to kill something.

*.*...

ok fine so any one cow isn't very important and a herd won't amount to much in the long run either, but its still wrong to kill thinking and feeling animals as evolved as cow pigs sheep... chickens... when there is an alternative.

when did class systems go out of favor? are you telling me that as long as you are on top of the food chain its ok to kill anything we want for our survival?

would you kill and eat dolphins if they were plentiful and easy to catch?

when did class systems go out of favor? are you telling me that as long as you are on top of the food chain its ok to kill anything we want for our survival?

It's ok to kill any animal that is raised for the purpose of eating as long as it is not a pet animal such as a dog, cat, horse, etc. Also, in a time of need when you are starving and there is nothing else left except for bugs and vegetables, yes it is ok to eat any type of animal including the last surviving manatee or bengal tiger.

would you kill and eat dolphins if they were plentiful and easy to catch?

Would I kill them myself? No. Would I buy cans of dolphin meat? Probably, if they were becoming overpopulated, but I wouldn't generally eat them because there has been scientific research that shows they are intelligent creatures. A cow is not intelligent, it thinks about eating grass, other than that, it's pretty much an automaton just like a worm.

You consider a cow to be intelligent? By the way, I noticed how again you think of one thing as being lower than another thing. For instance how you thought it was low for someone to clean houses for a living and you now think that a bug is lower than a cow but you still think how it is brutal murder to kill something.

Hey!!!!! now a cow is intelegent!!!! They learn not to touch an electric fence after they get shocked once... I've gotten shocked 6 times and I still havent learned any better :eek_big:

Anyways, bugs... yes they might be high in protien but who would want to eat a bug??? heck I can see it now.... I am driving by thousands of acres of farm land. I don't see any cows, horses or crops, but it looks as if entire field is moving. Soooooooo I go to the farmers house and I ask "HEY!!! farmer John Whacha growin out yonder????". He replies "welllllll ya see boy, nobody eat them cattle anymore so I had ta start me a bug farm!!!"

Would'nt that be interesting???

Hey, I'd rather eat bugs

personaly i hate eating meat, although i do on occasion, i really dispize myself for that, simply because i need to eat something to survive, doesnt mean that i dont feel bad about cattle on antibiotics in small cages that never get to see the light of the day.

Yes i understand the difference between killing an murder, although i feel that murder is what we do to cows, not killing, killing is quick and painless, cows get hanged by their feet and then they have their throats slit a few times to get the blood out of their system while they are still alive. Pigs endure even more though, when they get thrown into a grill to burn off their hair before they get processed.

Thats why if i eat meat, i do prefer meat from the all natural section of refrigirated foods at the supermarkets, and if i get a chance to choose between vegan and real meat, i always go vegan, and to tell you the truth, i am yet to taste real chicken drumsticks that are anywhere as lucious and tasty and similar in texture to the vegan drumsticks that i eat at this place in Hartford, thats aside from their vegan beef and wantons and things...

But yeah, if i get a choice of beef or bug meat in a similar price range, i think i'd go for the bugs...

:hihi: ... However, cancer is also on the rise which I think is directly linked to the amount of meat consumption. I don't believe the human body was made for so much meat consumption and it is affecting us adversely.

I hate to disagree with you, but I think the human body needs meat. Since the begining of time man has survived on meat. Have you ever heared of hunter gatherers?????? They ate more meat than the average person does in todays urban society, and they did not get cancer. I do not think meat causes cancer. Look at the worlds population which is around 6.5billion. How many people have cancer? How many of these people eat meat? how many of these people are vegetarians? A good friend of mine has never eaten meat in his life, and he was diagnosed with cancer.

By the way, coming from a country town I know a little about how buchers kill cows... It is actually a fast process. They only string them up by thier feet and drain thier blood AFTER the cow is dead!!!!!

Also if you think bugs are not intlegent you are sadly mistaken. They always seem to find a way into my house, not matter how many times I spray.

Later

L2L

it does but not in the quantities we eat.

certainly we could do without the mass production meat that is rarely properly clean the way a human would clean it to serve to his own family.

meat is a dirty industry.

I disagree... Meat was a dirty industry. But since the FDA was formed, the meat that leaves the processing plant has to be checked to make sure it is not carrying any diseases. AND meat processing plants have to be inspected by an fda official. If the plant does not meet certain requirements the plant is either shut down or put on suspencion until the plant is sanitized. Meat processing plants are actually a lot cleaner than most of our houses!!!! Most developed countries have an organization like the FDA, that makes sure the meat we consume is healthy, and clean.

L2L