Science Forums

Evolution vs Religion

OpenMind5

I THINK EVOLUTION OF LIFE OCCURS ..I HAVE YET TO SEE THAT ONE SPECIES EVOLVES INTO ANOTHER. SCIENCE SAYS THAT WE ARE HERE BY ACCIDENT..WHY HAS SCIENCE EVEN USED THE WORD ACCIDENT..ONE CAN NOT PROVE A ACCIDENT ..MAYBE SOMEONE KNOWS THE ANSWER...I AM A CHRISTIAN BUT I CAN NOT PROVE THERE IS A GOD,WHY IS RELIGON TRYING TO PROVE ANYTHING,FAITH IS WHAT I HAVE AND I CAN NOT PROVE IT..

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by: TENIRON

Hi Teniron. Welcome to the discussion. First let me mention, in case you were not aware of it, that using all CAPS is a way of SHOUTING something. Thus an ALL CAPS post is seens as yelling at us.

I THINK EVOLUTION OF LIFE OCCURS ..I HAVE YET TO SEE THAT ONE SPECIES EVOLVES INTO ANOTHER.

I can only guess at the exact intention of this combination of statements. I am guessing that you mean that you know that Evolution as a process does happen in nature. But that you are familiar with the artificial and arbitrary designations of micro/ macro used by anti-science efforts. You also are probably not aware of the lab research that has actually shown speciation (change in species) thru evolution. Further you present it under the incorrect approach of thinking that Evolution suggests that one species evolves into another.

Evolution works by starting with a COMMON species which slowly thru time, and usually geographic seperation, becomes two different species. Both will share some elements of the common ancestor while having evolved enough to show species differences. It is easy to tell when someone does not know what they are talking about when they say things like "Evolution claims Humans came from Apes." What evolution show us is that the current apes and humans share a common ancestor. There is a BIG difference.

SCIENCE SAYS THAT WE ARE HERE BY ACCIDENT..WHY HAS SCIENCE EVEN USED THE WORD ACCIDENT..

SCIENCE does not say that, that is why you would be surprised to think it would. For instance, the National Association of Biology Teachers presents it this way

"The diversity of life on earth is the outcome of evolution: an unpredictable and natural process of temporal descent with genetic modification that is affected by natural selection, chance, historical contingencies and changing environments."

Nature works by well established inviolate laws. Natural processes, while we can not always calculate the exact outcome, always follows these laws. There is nothing in nature that is an ACCIDENT as such.

I AM A CHRISTIAN BUT I CAN NOT PROVE THERE IS A GOD,

I have never met a Christian that can. NO ONE has EVER met a Christian that can.

WHY IS RELIGON TRYING TO PROVE ANYTHING,FAITH IS WHAT I HAVE AND I CAN NOT PROVE IT..

Yes, each person must make an individual decision as to how much proof they need for a philosophy they are ready to base their entire life on. Some are willing to settle for something they, as you admit you, have nothing to stand behind their life's philosophy. Others, like me, require some level of valid support before we will accept claims. Especially if we are going to allow those claims to guide our very lives.

Each assigns a value to their life. I will not sell mine short by accepting things that I can not support with some level of proof.

Plus it lead to the usual emtional knee jerk approach of inventing termonology and forcing it into the mainstream. Suddenly there is micro and macro. As if there is also micro-gravity and macro-gravity.

Not that it has any bearing on the current subject, but I've seen the weightlessness astronauts in earth-orbit experience called "micro-gravity".

Gravmania

For clarification: The term "microgravity" is used to describe the gravity situation onboard spacecraft in near-earth orbit. Since the gravity is not zero but in fact very, very small due to the gravity of Earth's pull, the term "microgravity" is used. therefore research onboard the International Space Station and the space shuttles is called "microgravity research".

Tormod

• 8 months later...