Science Forums

Evolution vs Religion

OpenMind5

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...suspended for wearing a shirt with 666 on it"

even if your way of thinking is correct it's not the majority mind set. "666" is a symbol that conveys an evil state of mind. it's like kids walking into school with a swastika on their shirt. school is not a place for that. so sorry but your kid was wrong and so were you. and so is the bullies that pick on your kids, but if you want others to do their part you should lead by example.

And it is interesting that you do not consider woman to be human. That you classify them along with OTHER needs/ possessions. ..... no, but by your thinking if humans evolved, it would have been the male of the species that would be that killed for such things. i'm all about equality but nature is nature, and thats how it was.

Ok, this brings up a question that I never found a realistically plausible answer to, so maybe one of you guys can enlighten me...

If some form of evolution is correct, and man evolved from the same line that apes did, how did we get WOman? Did she evolve right along with man, at the exact same time and the exact same place? Or was there a time when man was mating with our common monkey ancestor? I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, but this question has bugged me for quite a while. Now I will readily admit that when I first studied it, I was not that familiar with www and the internet was not easily accesible from anywhere but school. Noone really wanted to explain this to me at school, as it was 'not something we generally discuss'. To me, that meant that they didn't have an answer, but maybe they just thought I was having a brain-dead moment or something. Does anybody have an answer?

rileyj said but if you want others to do their part you should lead by example.

and I totally agree. We all should lead by example. I try to act to others as I would want other people to treat my youngest child. That probably sounds silly to some, but it's actually a good model. I want others to treat my 'baby' with kindness and respect, not to talk down to her because she is young, to count her opinions and feelings as valid even if they are obviously not generally accepted, and to treat her like the unique person she is. If I keep her in mind when dealing with others, it is amazing how tolerant I am of differing ideas, and even people that just never see things my way. I think if everyone treated others this same way, things would be very different on this planet!

by rileyj: where do you live, cause i learned evolution in school so i'm sure your kids and classmates are.

Even when I went to elem., JH, and HS, we were taught evolution, and that was more than a few years ago. My mom didn't like it, but there was no alternative at the time. Of course, prayer was still allowed then, but not mandatory. And I'm sure that if I had worn "666" on my shirt, someone would have kicked my butt. That would have been asking for a problem, regardless of what kind of Christians the families of the kids were. I mean, you HAD to know that "666" would be considered derogatory, didn't you? rileyj's example of the sawstika is perfect. Others might include the "rebel" flag, or a white pointy hat (kkk). I would never let my kids wear something that might cause them to be picked on, that's my job as a parent. It's also my job to educate my children in the ways of the world, meaning that I have a responsibility to let them know what they can expect from other people. I don't feel this is conforming, but being saf with the lives and hearts of my children. They know about God, but they also know about evolution. They know what 666 means to Christians and others. They share many of my values, but I fully expect that they will want to prove some things for themselves. But it's my job to let them no of potential dangers or obstacles that lie in there paths.

how come there are male and female dogs?most species reproduce like this,so i guess i don't understand the question

Ok, I'm not sure I undersand your explanation. Most species reproduce like what? And what do dogs have to do with this? I am asking how a human man can reproduce without a woman? Or if a male and female human evolved at the same time, in the same place, and mated to produce offspring. At what point did speciation happen to produce a man that could no longer mate with it's ancestors, and did this also happen to a female at the same time in the same geographic location? Or is it that a group of animals were separated and evolved together, producing males and females that were able to mate?

Originally posted by: rileyj

"Yes, the respectful manner in which I brought them up has placed them in harms way with Christian kids regularly. Rather than cause a disturbance during Pledge time or "Christmas" holiday perfprmances, they just kept quite during the god words. That was all it took for "loving Christian" kids to follow their biblical tenets to hate non-believers"

i don't know if you remember your childhood but kids don't do mean things in the name of god.

Yes I DO remember my childhood and YES THEY DID do mean things because of their specific religious teachings. And they still do!

PROVE that making this a strictly Secular world would NOT put an end to these negative human interactions.

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

"Of course it is taught by Christians, it's in the bible!"

hatred is taught by evolution as well.

so you admit that hatred is taught by Christianity. That is a good start.

Now let's see if you have the personal fortitude to come out and admit it directly, instead of just acknowleding it in your answer.

Originally posted by: rileyj

And it is interesting that you do not consider woman to be human. That you classify them along with OTHER needs/ possessions.

no, but by your thinking if humans evolved,

Notice how they work? They make a specific claim. In this case asserting that woman are objects to be owned, when forced to confront the reality of their statement, they want to pretend they didn;t say it and then attack the other person.

You said what you said. Be honest enough to admit you said it. Don't try to shift the blame to me for what YOU said!

Oh, sorry, I keep forgetting you are a Christain. Honesty is a problem for you.

Oh, sorry, I keep forgetting you are a Christain. Honesty is a problem for you.

Two things here...

1) you keep making generalizations! Are all atheists wife-beating, child-neglecting drunks? NO!!! So don't lump all Christians into the same group. I can understand that you have very specific reasons for your hatred of Christianity, but you really go too far. That's like saying that ALL white people are responsible for slavery; or that ALL Germans hated/were responsible for the murder of millions of Jews. Those two general statements just are not true, and neither are your blanket Christian statements. I try very hard to qualify negative statements. If I inadvertantly make a general statement, I quickly and readily admit my error. Please extend the same respect.

2) rileyj has repeatedly stated that he is not a Christian. While he has stated that he believes there is a god, he does not claim nor embrace Christianity. Don't try to force a religion on him that he does not want!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

"Of course it is taught by Christians, it's in the bible!"

hatred is taught by evolution as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and then from Freethinker...

so you admit that hatred is taught by Christianity. That is a good start.

Now let's see if you have the personal fortitude to come out and admit it directly, instead of just acknowleding it in your answer.

I WILL admit that many people that claim to be Christians teach hatred. This is true of most every religion, or religious faction, as well as by many claiming to be non-religious.

For example, YOU claim to be non-religious, you even raised your children as atheists, and they were picked on by horrible Christians, right? While you have never categorically stated your hatred for God in general, and Christianity specifically, there are probably few on this thread that doubt your hatred. Your hatred seems evident to me in the very condescending way you state your replies, your lack of respect for the opinions of anyone who believes in God, and your *intentional?* misquoting and misrepresentation of Christian ideas and beliefs. This goes far beyond a belief in the thoery of evolution in science. It is an obvious hatred being perpetuated by YOU, cloaked in the guise of 'reality' and debunking Christian/religious myths. You post replies with an air of superiority that far surpasses any other in this forum, yet you continually accuse Christians of a superior attitude. And you call us hypocrites? C'mon!!!

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

<blockquote>Quote

<hr> Oh, sorry, I keep forgetting you are a Christain. Honesty is a problem for you. <hr></blockquote>

Two things here...

1) you keep making generalizations! Are all atheists wife-beating, child-neglecting drunks? NO!!! So don't lump all Christians into the same group. I can understand that you have very specific reasons for your hatred of Christianity, but you really go too far. That's like saying that ALL white people are responsible for slavery; or that ALL Germans hated/were responsible for the murder of millions of Jews.

1) the traits of being White or being German are not conscious choices. They are "accidents of birth". While being an Atheist (at some point after birth, we are ALL born as Atheists) or Christian are choices made intentionally continually thru life.

2) Atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief in a personal god. It has no other direct involvement in a person's world view. It has no agreed source of revelation listing specific tenets. Thus Atheism can not be used to justify a person's actions the way a world view based on well define and especially published tenets would, such as in Christianity.

3) As such, it IS appropriate to lump Christians into a group. It IS an intentional life's choice, not an accident of birth (other than it typically being forced on children by Christian parents from birth).

4) as such the Christian ideology REQUIRES one to have a problem with honesty. Because Christianities published source of rules and regulations supports either side of every issue, in order for someone to claim they are following the bible, they have to selective accept and selectively ignore different passages. Thus we hear that homosexuality is an abomination based on a specific biblical passage. Yet the same source, a few passages away says it is also an abomination to touch the skin of a dead pig. So where is the same outrage against football as their is against gay marriage? Since it is impossible for someone to hold opposing sides of an issue simultaneously, Christians inherently have to have problems with honesty.

2) rileyj has repeatedly stated that he is not a Christian. While he has stated that he believes there is a god, he does not claim nor embrace Christianity. Don't try to force a religion on him that he does not want!

Without wanting to waste more time going back thru everyones posts in order to show what people have actually published in the past, (which I have had to do many times here) it seems that rileyj has used the bible and Jesus to validate things before. If that is not the case, i appoligize to rileyj for insulting him by stating he is a Christian.

Perhaps rileyj, you can resolve the issue by telling us how you define/ support a god belief if not using Christianity (bible, Jesus)