Science Forums

Astrology - Fact Or Fiction

petrushkagoogol

you made a very crude comment. even if this happens, this will not be generalised, because for instance ,I may enjoy sleeping under  the moonlight.

consequently,I have to express that this is a very bad comment. 

beside, we know that how people were exaggrating this. 

like this, "dear samanta , the moonlight will cause you not to sleep earl in the night,you will be tired and your emotional map decrease to sadness. then you will get divorced"

what a bad prediction. no correlation between any consecutive sentences. :) :)

I wasn't thinking of you, I was mentioning other people who are kept awake by moonlight. And not only does it result in more car accidents, it has other negative effects on people. For instance, more people are drowned in the ocean on high tides than on low tides. That's the moon again!

I wasn't thinking of you, I was mentioning other people who are kept awake by moonlight. And not only does it result in more car accidents, it has other negative effects on people. For instance, more people are drowned in the ocean on high tides than on low tides. That's the moon again!

"For instance, more people are drowned in the ocean on high tides than on low tides"

Is that the truth? Do you have a source?

I ask because:

Rip Currents: The Ocean's Deadliest Trick

Every year, more than 100 beachgoers on average drown due to these strong river-like channels of water that pull swimmers away from the shore, according to the U.S. Lifesaving Association (USLA).

vUBFicTJmS4JKqRfUDU68Y-650-80.jpg

Heavy breaking waves can trigger a sudden rip current, but rip currents are most hazardous around low tide, when water is already pulling away from the beach. In the past, rip currents were sometimes called rip tides, which was a mistake, Carey said. "Tides are really slow changes in water level and by themselves do not induce a rip current," she said. "A rip current is not at all a tide."

For instance, more people are drowned in the ocean on high tides than on low tides. That's the moon again!

I am sure this is way different/distinct than our issue. that is relevant to geography rather than interpersonal or personal issues. 

this subject of course has its place,but it is not the thing like you think. 

"For instance, more people are drowned in the ocean on high tides than on low tides"

Is that the truth? Do you have a source?

I ask because:

Rip Currents: The Ocean's Deadliest Trick

Every year, more than 100 beachgoers on average drown due to these strong river-like channels of water that pull swimmers away from the shore, according to the U.S. Lifesaving Association (USLA).

vUBFicTJmS4JKqRfUDU68Y-650-80.jpg

Heavy breaking waves can trigger a sudden rip current, but rip currents are most hazardous around low tide, when water is already pulling away from the beach. In the past, rip currents were sometimes called rip tides, which was a mistake, Carey said. "Tides are really slow changes in water level and by themselves do not induce a rip current," she said. "A rip current is not at all a tide."

You need to do some more research to find how how all the movements of the ocean are mostly caused by the moon's pull of gravity. That is, if you believe in gravity and not the force of the god?

I am sure this is way different/distinct than our issue. that is relevant to geography rather than interpersonal or personal issues. 

this subject of course has its place,but it is not the thing like you think. 

What on earth are you talking about when you say our issue is relevant to geography?  This is now about the moon and how it effects the movements of the oceans and the winds. 

Do you believe that you are a witch?

You need to learn how to read for comprehension, Ivan.

Do you really consider 100 beachgoers a significant number of drownings when we're talking about all the drowning in the oceans each year?

Your wrote or quoted: "Every year, more than 100 beachgoers on average drown due to these strong river-like channels of water that pull swimmers away from the shore, according to the U.S. Lifesaving Association (USLA)."

What on earth are you talking about when you say our issue is relevant to geography?  This is now about the moon and how it effects the movements of the oceans and the winds. 

look , although I don't state that in the current position I was a well scientific article/literature writer,I would say the oceanbreeze's sentence. look please more clearly. 

in scientific contents (especially in maths / phsyics / biology / health science.  your starting and conclusion sentences are also important in even paragraph. I underline the relevance & correlation. 

what does your sayings have to do with reality ??provide logic reasons :)

(in some of my previous posts ,I also shared somethings that are not scientifically detected (e.g. jinns ) because we currently can't see them and there is no way to get interaction with them globally. thus ,you are free to believe or not to believe. )

Edited by balagna

While it doesn't state that they were all drownings in the ocean, it's a pretty sure thing that it's significantly more than the Breeze's 100!

It's about the moon again!

pheh , be sure that I was aware of tide even when I was 9 years old child. I also remember my teachers sayings. 

I will use simple sentence s

"generally the reason (i.e. the cause) is effective in actions, therefore if you know the reason you will most probably / most likely be able to prevent that thing or cause that action. "

in your this example, I can make a simple application of this allegation: as we know how and when the tide happens, we shall also know how to protect us from it. :)

look , although I don't state that in the current position I was a well scientific article/literature writer,I would say the oceanbreeze's sentence. look please more clearly. 

in scientific contents (especially in maths / phsyics / biology / health science.  your starting and conclusion sentences are also important in even paragraph. I underline the relevance & correlation.

You were a 'well' literature writer? Nobody is suggesting that you're unwell, at least physically. Oceanbreeze suggested that 100 people die each year in riptides and I pointed out that was an insignificant number compared to annual drownings. We'll have to wait to see what he says about that, if anythiing?

what does your sayings have to do with reality ??provide logic reasons :)

I will if you tell me what 'sayings' you're talking about?

(in some of my previous posts ,I also shared somethings that are not scientifically detected (e.g. jinns ) because we currently can't see them and there is no way to get interaction with them globally. thus ,you are free to believe or not to believe. )

I think your 'jinns' are just goofy nonsense but I could be wrong. Would you like to talk more about them? Seeing jinns isn't everything. There's a possibility that you are hearing them and feeling them in the same way that people detect the god. Tell me more!

pheh , be sure that I was aware of tide even when I was 9 years old child. I also remember my teachers sayings. 

"generally the reason (i.e. the cause) is effective in actions, therefore if you know the reason you will most probably / most likely be able to prevent that thing or cause that action. "

Are you suggesting that somebody can stop the tides or prevent the cause of tidal changes?

in your this example, I can make a simple application of this allegation: as we know how and when the tide happens, we shall also know how to protect us from it. :)

There are hundreds of thousands of drownings every year that are the result of high tides, while there are only 100 drownings a year caused by riptides. I think that Seabreeze has left the conversation but it's something you need to know too.

Edited by montgomery

Are you suggesting that somebody can stop the tides or prevent the cause of tidal changes?

There are hundreds of thousands of drownings every year that are the result of high tides, while there are only 100 drownings a year caused by riptides. I think that Seabreeze has left the conversation but it's something you need to know too.

nope. 

the action : drownings/accidents

the reason we know: tides. (in fact this is a fake reason. the exact reason is people's carelesness! or neglections! 

solution: don't swim or don't get on ships near tide days. :) :)

Edited by balagna

Do you really consider 100 beachgoers a significant number of drownings when we're talking about all the drowning in the oceans each year?

Your wrote or quoted: "Every year, more than 100 beachgoers on average drown due to these strong river-like channels of water that pull swimmers away from the shore, according to the U.S. Lifesaving Association (USLA)."

Yes Ivan, that number is very significant.

UNITED STATES National Statistics - 85 reporting agencies

Beach Attendance 265,225,343 Rescues 58,577 Preventative Actions 4,564,800 Medical Aids 288,340 Drowning Deaths 60 (48 at unguarded beaches/ 12 at guarded beaches)

The WHO numbers you cited are worldwide, and I was talking about US beaches.

Where, When and How Drowning & Entrapments  Happens

• Swimming pools are the most common site for a drowning to occur among children between the ages 1 and 4 years.
  • Approximately 72 percent of pool submersion deaths and 55 percent of pool submersion injuries occur at a home pool or spa.

Swimming pools are the biggest killer, at least in the USA.

But go ahead and change the goal posts again Ivan, it sure is entertaining correcting your nonsense but I am getting a bit tired of it.

Yes Ivan, that number is very significant.

UNITED STATES National Statistics - 85 reporting agencies

Beach Attendance 265,225,343 Rescues 58,577 Preventative Actions 4,564,800 Medical Aids 288,340 Drowning Deaths 60 (48 at unguarded beaches/ 12 at guarded beaches)

The WHO numbers you cited are worldwide, and I was talking about US beaches.

Where, When and How Drowning & Entrapments  Happens

• Swimming pools are the most common site for a drowning to occur among children between the ages 1 and 4 years.
  • Approximately 72 percent of pool submersion deaths and 55 percent of pool submersion injuries occur at a home pool or spa.

Swimming pools are the biggest killer, at least in the USA.

But go ahead and change the goal posts again Ivan, it sure is entertaining correcting your nonsense but I am getting a bit tired of it.

Do you think it's a good idea to talk about US beaches when we were talking about tides and how the moon is the biggest influencing factor?

And the same for 'pool immersion deaths'! Do you think those are a significant factor when compared to the drownings throughout the world in oceans? 

I guess they could be but again, they have nothing to do with the moon and ocean tides. Although I would admit that it could be interesting to talk about tides in lakes and large swimming pools!

And so, if we're all finished talking about swimming pools and riptides, maybe we can get back to the real science on how the moon effects people. So far at least, the only real evidence for astology being real is concerning the moon.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/do-full-moons-and-supermoons-really-influence-people-and-animals-2/433601

This link contains several specific examples of the moon's effect on people. The  following link specifically on biological tides and the moon's gravatational effect.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=63700

Quote:

" THE EFFECTS OF LUNAR PERIODICITY ON HUMAN EMOTIONS, AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR, AND CRIME RATES ARE DESCRIBED IN THIS POPULARIZED STUDY OF SOCIAL AND ASTRONOMICAL PHENOMENA". Edited by montgomery