Science Forums

Hypo Security Seems Lacking

The mood here needed some lighting...er lightning...ummmmmmmm.....anyway.....uh....dammit where's Turtle when I need him!!!!!!?....ummmmmmm.....yeah....well anyways...it did brighten the place up a lil din it?:blink:

You know we luv ya Pamerz ;)

:thumbs_up sho' 'nough! :lightning

why, here's turtle now. (he hasn't been this fat in years ;))

THERE HE IS!!!:D

I dunno bout you but it's been one day without spam in my conversation or my status box...yay!!

Almost tempted to attempt to tempt tempestuous fate and status my persona with a personal personally customary customised custom quotable quote to realise my quota....hell why not...I'll let y'all know how it go.:blink:

WOW!!!! so far so good! .....now.... is it cuz they're sleepin, all banned, or is the issue that let them do it fixed?

good to hear. :thumbs_up looks like they may still be hitting tormods status but i can't tell for sure. he's currently at 93 spamments. :omg: spammers never sleep, but maybe if the problem is fixed the staff will let us in on it. one would think so if for no other reason than to get us off this jag. :fly: ;) i do see the spammers are still joining the forum though; another 20 new spamembers have joined since yesterday. one thing at a time i guess. thanks to all giving these matters attention.

to further the lightening, here's me feeding on a spammer. :rotfl:

Cheer up guys, the team is doing a great job. Everyone here is doing volunteer work. Spammers are a PITA and while we can blame the software security for part of it, lots of forums are seeing massive spam attacks. As Pam says, they often come in waves through registered, passive accounts.

Hang in there, friends.

Cheer up guys, the team is doing a great job. Everyone here is doing volunteer work. Spammers are a PITA and while we can blame the software security for part of it, lots of forums are seeing massive spam attacks. As Pam says, they often come in waves through registered, passive accounts.

Hang in there, friends.

:thumbs_up thanks T. here i am volunteering to cheer up.

The report thingy does NOT!!!!! work!!!!!!! I have repeatedly tried it and it just gives me a "connecting to......" in my browser and hangs there forever with a "blanc" page....
Now that is handy feedback DiDeeDaDee, it likely explains why there've been so many dupe reports! It certainly isn't the only hitch in managing this place and, unfortunately, lads like Buffy, Killean and Alex have gone just completely extinct.

Turtle, I have flagged many reported spammers, when not flagged already by others. I've flagged many of them before they even got reported, when I happened on them myself. Unfortunately admin tasks have become a bit troublesome and it isn't always easy to spot shared IP's or the likes, a trick which of course spammers seem to have learnt. The year before last there was a dense wave of spam accounts from 'bots and a CAPTCHA solved the problem quite well, but that was on vB and the more seasoned admins/dev teams folks did it as soon as we realized it was needed. Try also to understand the word volunteer, it meant that we don't log in just to do our duty; any help is appreciated but we can't give just any Tom, Dick or Harry admin privs.

As for other misconduct, we have a long standing policy of seeking opinion of a few other staff members before non-routine action, but nowadays excepting the past few it was usually like, Helloo-oooo? Anybody hee-eeeere?

Ummm.. Just any Tom Dick and Harry? I happen to know pamela makes 6 figures working here 36-24-36 :unsure: not sure which figures. Seriously I appreciate your efforts, it has been getting lonely here for quite a long time. It's really nice to see that there are others that care, if we didn't care no one would have bothered to complain...

Well....I spoke too soon :( They got me while I wasn't looking....a lot of the same F***ers that have been gittin me before....maybe I shouldn't have deleted them....oh well the side bar thingy says so and so replied to Dd's status and they're prolly the same jerks getting everybody else...I guess Tormod has the best idea for now....just don't update yer status. BTW T how the heck do you turn the status thingy off, lest I get more crap from these bastards.

Now that is handy feedback DiDeeDaDee, it likely explains why there've been so many dupe reports! It certainly isn't the only hitch in managing this place and, unfortunately, lads like Buffy, Killean and Alex have gone just completely extinct.

Turtle, I have flagged many reported spammers, when not flagged already by others. I've flagged many of them before they even got reported, when I happened on them myself. Unfortunately admin tasks have become a bit troublesome and it isn't always easy to spot shared IP's or the likes, a trick which of course spammers seem to have learnt. The year before last there was a dense wave of spam accounts from 'bots and a CAPTCHA solved the problem quite well, but that was on vB and the more seasoned admins/dev teams folks did it as soon as we realized it was needed. Try also to understand the word volunteer, it meant that we don't log in just to do our duty; any help is appreciated but we can't give just any Tom, Dick or Harry admin privs.

As for other misconduct, we have a long standing policy of seeking opinion of a few other staff members before non-routine action, but nowadays excepting the past few it was usually like, Helloo-oooo? Anybody hee-eeeere?

Wonder where they (buf,alex, etc.) went.

Why can't you re-implement a minimum post limit before links are allowed to be posted anywhere on the site? About fifty would probably be enough to deter most spammers i would think. Yeah it would be inconvenient for newb's and probably lead to garbage posts to get the count up, but it would probably be less work to correct such action than to try to find other ways of keeping spammers out and have to keep on top of new ways of them leaving their crap here every time they find a loop hole.

...Turtle, I have flagged many reported spammers, when not flagged already by others. I've flagged many of them before they even got reported, when I happened on them myself. Unfortunately admin tasks have become a bit troublesome and it isn't always easy to spot shared IP's or the likes, a trick which of course spammers seem to have learnt. The year before last there was a dense wave of spam accounts from 'bots and a CAPTCHA solved the problem quite well, but that was on vB and the more seasoned admins/dev teams folks did it as soon as we realized it was needed. Try also to understand the word volunteer, it meant that we don't log in just to do our duty; any help is appreciated but we can't give just any Tom, Dick or Harry admin privs.

acknowledged all. i do very much appreciate y'all who have volunteered for a difficult and largely thankless job. my sincere Thank You Q et al for all you do here to keep the place going. :bow:

since suspending a member is not like an execution, don't be afraid to act independently when you feel it's appropriate. you can always reverse the decision when other staff appear for a discussion and decide that a reinstatement is warranted.

Well....I spoke too soon :( They got me while I wasn't looking....a lot of the same F***ers that have been gittin me before....maybe I shouldn't have deleted them....oh well the side bar thingy says so and so replied to Dd's status and they're prolly the same jerks getting everybody else...I guess Tormod has the best idea for now....just don't update yer status. BTW T how the heck do you turn the status thingy off, lest I get more crap from these bastards.

i'm not sure you can individually turn it off; i think tormod was suggesting the admins turn off the funtion for the whole board until a fix is worked up. i do see you have a padlock symbol next to your latest comment section and no button to add comments so you should be safe for now. if you didn't do that somehow, perhaps the staff did it for you.

:turtle: the wheels of justice may grind slow, but they grind fine. (or so some smart aleck said.)

acknowledged all. i do very much appreciate y'all who have volunteered for a difficult and largely thankless job. my sincere Thank You Q et al for all you do here to keep the place going. :bow:

since suspending a member is not like an execution, don't be afraid to act independently when you feel it's appropriate. you can always reverse the decision when other staff appear for a discussion and decide that a reinstatement is warranted.

i'm not sure you can individually turn it off; i think tormod was suggesting the admins turn off the funtion for the whole board until a fix is worked up. i do see you have a padlock symbol next to your latest comment section and no button to add comments so you should be safe for now. if you didn't do that somehow, perhaps the staff did it for you.

:turtle: the wheels of justice may grind slow, but they grind fine. (or so some smart aleck said.)

There's a lock thingy that let's you lock it...seems to work but we'll see.

Why can't you re-implement a minimum post limit before links are allowed to be posted anywhere on the site?
We had that and plenty of other customizations with vB but it's a different kettle of fish now. Even ten posts had a great effect, a 'bot doesn't usually pad up to the minimum, whereas real members would usually ask (and be told why). Thing is Killean can no longer help here, I don't find a standard setting for it and I'm not sure if it is something Craig could do.

I suspect that part of the vulnerability of vB to hackers is the very fact that it's much more open to customization.

We had that and plenty of other customizations with vB but it's a different kettle of fish now. Even ten posts had a great effect, a 'bot doesn't usually pad up to the minimum, whereas real members would usually ask (and be told why). Thing is Killean can no longer help here, I don't find a standard setting for it and I'm not sure if it is something Craig could do.

I suspect that part of the vulnerability of vB to hackers is the very fact that it's much more open to customization.

I guess we're running IP Board now?

According to their website, "

Flexible Permissions

Flexible forum permissions allow you to control exactly who sees what. Control viewing, replying, attaching & more on a per-group or even per-user level."

Is there not an option for having new users grouped into a group that limits their abilities to the point of stopping this from happening? If not, maybe a plugin like the following would help? http://community.inv...-stopforumspam/

Hmmm that plugin might be a help but it depends on how that .org decides which IP's to list. You see, nowadays an IP ban is not only rarely effective but often unsuitable, just think of how many people are connected with whichever IP their ISP chooses at the moment and not with one specific to themselves. For quite a while I find both emails and IP's rarely helpful in controlling troublesome members and spammers sure ain't no idiots.

Flexible forum permissions allow you to control exactly who sees what. Control viewing, replying, attaching & more on a per-group or even per-user level."

Now obviously what we need isn't what they mention here. However I've been looking through settings and I recently queried other admins about a (very) vague idea. Lo and bahold, just now I found a setting which would no doubt be effective, only it would necessitate daily effort from mods/admins else it would be a PITA for new good users. The more I consider it the more I'm for it but it must first be discussed by staff and vows of goodwill assessed. This includes you of course, so, see youand Pam in the thread I'll open.

If I must be truthful, I've always been a light admin and more so with IPBoard which is more daunting, but the heavier admins are so rare nowadays and due to these woes I'm discovering more about settings.