Science Forums

Sugar....Baby?

Robust

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

___Back a couple of centuries, sugar chests had locks on them to keep the kids & help from stealing it. Tea boxes enjoyed similar locks when it was rare & expensive.

___Isn't sugar production subsidised like tobacoo though?

___I prefer honey when I'm cooking (other than baking) for sweetness. When I was a young boy with many allergies, the Doctor had my mom feed me honey from hives within 15 miles of my home on the premise it would help build some immunity.

Sugar, not so bad when you are young. I would stick to moderation when it comes to sugar, I think it slows down your production of insulin and if your body decides that it no longer needs to produce insulin then you wind up with diabetes...I am not saying sugar causes diabetes I am just saying everything in moderation... :(

You have to distinguish between type 1 and type 2 diabetics. Type 2 diabetics (formerly called "adult-onset") develop insulin resistence, which means your body has to produce more insulin to metabolize the same amout of glucose. Eventually, not enough can be made. Type 2 is treated with diet and exercise, and drugs that goose your pancreas to make more insulin. The worst cases have to inject additional insulin.

Type 1 diabetes ("juvenile") is an auto-immune condition when your body, for unknown reasons, destroys the beta cells in the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. After that, no insulin, and injections for life.

There is also type 3 and type 4 diabetes, but I won't bore you with those.

Which raises the question: Should diabetics be taxed on sugar at a higher rate, since it is more of a "sin" for them?

Which raises the question: Should diabetics be taxed on sugar at a higher rate, since it is more of a "sin" for them?

No, because all sin taxes are the same, regardless if you choose to partake or not. I don't by cig's, but if I did, I would pay taxes at the same rate as a 3 pack a day chain smoker who is dying of lung cancer.

While taxing generic white sugar probably wouldn't be the best idea, taxing candy bars might not hurt so bad (I never buy those either, so I'm pretty biased, of course :hihi:)

There are major changes in the way food is presented in schools now. Sugar content is one of the major issues. In the vending machines you cannot sell fruit snacks because of the sugar content (but a chocolate bar has less and is allowed...as well as fatty foods loke chips). The use of candy as a reward is banned and no food may be given out in a class until after 2:00. The same regulations are imposed on what the kitchen makes for the daily meals. Sugar is trying to be phased out of the schools.

oh! i didnt notice that... sry... ill stop... :hihi:

Now, now. No need to cry. I was just suggesting you find your own little cliche to be remembered by, just like Buffy has. Now go forth, and this time with your own identity, into the depths of knowledge contained in this forum. :xx: