Religion forum

Tormod

Should we start a religion forum?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we start a religion forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

Actually, I've only seen a couple of "thumpers" and I would include Pyrotex in that group. He uses the Bible to thump people over the head and says he's read it and it is full of crap. Then he thumps everyone about three or four times more before another person can get a word in.

I don't mind if people discuss their ideas on religion, as long as they back it up with some evidence (either written or otherwise.) Then their evidence may be debated. In the end, some may not change their views, some may. What harm is there in changing views when someone presents rational, cited information.

Note in the science arena, not everything is cited either. I've been involved in a discussion of the Monty Hall problem, and have yet to change my opinion, nor have I been able to change the opinion of those arguing/discussing the problem with me. What makes a theology forum that acts the same way any different? People like Pyrotex that insists that he is right, everyone else is wrong, and he is the smartest person on this site (reference his IQ claim of 180.) To me, he is a bigger offender on this site than others who want to discuss religious ideas and their support, but don't want to go to a site that is dominated by blind believers, "thumpers", and maniacs. Hence the reason I started a thread about religious nuttism. It was going good until Pyrotex jumped in and started slinging insults. As far as I'm concerned his priveleges to that forum might need to be removed.

That is the ultimate to those of you who don't want it here. If you don't think it is good, don't support it, but don't post to it either. Irish and Tormod are pretty good at keeping their eyes on it.

Tormod-

In this population of folks, I would put a religion as a subcategory under philosophy....I really don't think Intelligent Design would usually fall within a religion discussion, although Creationism probably would....Religion would handle theism versus non-theism, religious history, contrasts of major religions, views...history.

Okay, we can have a religion forum, if you place the beastie securely between two glass slides in a drop of formaldehyde, and insert it under the 100x objective of an unbiased stereocular microscope.

Important topics (IMHO) would include:

Lack of historical evidence for a physical Jesus;

Evidence that Christianity drew its Jesus stories from older Pagan myths;

Meaning of the fact that Jesus left behind no body of law;

Evidence that Genesis stories derived from older Babylonian myths;

Statistics on Bible source documents and their anomalies (typos);

Factual history of the selection of books for the Bible;

Biographical data on those who did the selection.

My fingers are tired. But you get the general idea.

"Intelligent Design" should be categorized with Aesop's Fables, Tales from the Brothers Grimm, and the movie "Close Encounter of the Third Kind".

I am not sure why you guys are having this discussion - the theology forum has been up for quite some time now. Maybe it's time we close this poll...there are also a new concept surrounding the theology forum coming up as soon as IrishEyes is finished moving house.

Geez, you're waiting on ME for that? Egads! We won't have internet up for two weeks over there, and I'm only at this place once a day to get the mail (of course, i still have to check up on you guys in that few minutes, I have my standards, you know!). If it can be launched before I get back, go for it. Otherwise, it can't be until near the first of the year, I'm afraid... :)

And by all means, close this thread... :)

Yes, religion forum good. I am personally agnostic. No body can prove the existence of any God. We believe what we believe!

The Pope knows as much about God as I do!

I do believe in a God, but cannot define it!

My preference is Buddahism; however it also states that we are simply mortal; just like any Muslim or Christian.

Do we know any more than our creator/origin?? I doubt it..

Lets just agree on the similarities of religion rather than fight to the DEATH about the differences.

Nobody really knows!

___The Religion Forum has since appeared as "Theology Forum". Go to Forum Index on top menu bar & scroll down to find it. New posts from this Theology Forum do not appear in the updated topics box. Also in the Theology Forum is an outline of the intention & rules therin.

___Looking forward to some lively discussion.:cup:

http://hypography.com/forums/theology-forum.html