Religion forum

Tormod

Should we start a religion forum?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we start a religion forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

I would be OK with just including religion under philosophy, although I voted in favor of a separate forum.

Yeah. Like I said earlier in this thread I think we should reconsider the entire forum structure because there is an obvious need for some groups (like biology and history) so maybe we should try to put together a list of all the forums we'd like to see and then pick and mix until we have a working solution.

Maybe it is needed. But somehow I doubt that it will prevent the topics in the "Evolution" forum from being reduced to a religious debate.

I agree. But at least we'll have the option to move those threads somewhere else when they go completely out of whack. :note:

How about splitting the PHYSICS AND MATHEMATICS forms in two?

And is there any reason why I would have problems opening the Physics and Mathematics forum specifically?

I will bring up your suggestion in the mod forum.

What kind of trouble are you having in opening that forum?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we should start a religion thread. And yes, we should apply science to judge any religious discussion made. After all, the three main religions Judaism, Christianity and Islam were all started by the Elohim, our intelligent desginers. Now we need to demystify them and explain their true rational origins.

After all, the three main religions Judaism, Christianity and Islam were all started by the Elohim, our intelligent desginers. Now we need to demystify them and explain their true rational origins.

Me thinks you need to prove the existance of the elohim first. IMO religions and gods were invented by man and the elohim is a figment of someone's imagination.

Discussing religion from a detached viewpoint is like hoping for a fool's paradise. When it comes to religion it's very difficult for many to remain objective. There are just too many unbalanced minds out there.
I looks to me like your post proves your point.

If you think that discussion with competent interlocuters is not worthwhile because some others are not competent, I certainly hope you never speak about science again. The vast majority of discussants are poorly informed. But it is the others that are interesting.

• 2 months later...

Theisms generally require extrapolating, albeit without emotive schisms. I had 20 years of being a Jehovah's witness, then 20 years of being an atheist, then came back to a God without any saviour agencies. Suits me fine, but it is good to have the mind open to alternatives - you never learn without allowing input, and you never grow without pain, even if that pain is the pain of the loss of a huge investment in your belief systems.

All my life I thought I was going without,

then I started going within - brianthepoet ©1996

• 1 month later...

I believe Hypography should NOT start a Religion forum.

There are already thousands of religious discussion and debate websites out there.

Forums that attempt to mix science and religion attract huge numbers of people with, let's say, missionary zeal.

Other science websites, such as Origins (Biological Evolution) have been nearly 'buried' by tsunamis of responders arguing against Evolution, arguing for Creationism, or simply repeating the same criticisms over and over again. Eventually, Origins had to build a list of Frequently Made Arguments (with a complete and rational refutation of each. Anyone attempting to make the "argument of first cause" (for example -- and hundreds still do!) is directed to the list; anyone not dissuaded by this is locked out.

Even in the "old days" when forums were "bulletin boards" or "news" sites, those devoted to science, particularly Evolution, and to comparative or philosophical discussions of religion in general, were swamped under the dead weight of thousands of posts from well-intentioned folks wanting to tell everybody what the Bible "says".

I visited hundreds of science forums and I noticed that most of them died out when the percentage of pseudo-scientific and pulpit-logic posts got large enough. People serious or curious about science do not want to wade through that stuff.

The human-power necessary to monitor and manage a Religion forum is out of all proportion to the number of postings. I helped manage alt.religion.recovery for several months. We provided a forum for folks who were literally "recovering" from what we called "spiritual abuse". But the true believers found us and took up 90% of our bandwidth.

Do you know what happens when you allow the camel's nose to get under the tent flap?

too late!

you really don't know what it was like before we added it though. Now the people who like to flame scientists for their theories are more segregated. Before, any time that we tried to talk about evolution or anything like that scientifically, we would get the bible thumpers telling us how wrong we are and all about the holes and this and that.

too late! ...Before, any time that we tried to talk about evolution..., we would get the bible thumpers telling us how wrong we are...

Awww, Dude!! Don't tell me that. Wait, you just did. Well, listen, doesn't the masthead say "Science Forums"??? And isn't this a monitored and managed website? How come you did not simply give each thumper "three warnings and you're out"?

Of course, they could come in and try to start a new account, but you have their email address. They could get multiple email addresses, but the work load would be on them, not you, and eventually they would get tired and go off and bug some other site.

So, what happened?