• I fly a kite once every 60 years
    • I fly a kite once every 40 years
    • I fly a kite once every 20 years
    • I fly a kite once every 10 years
    • I fly a kite once every year
    • I fly a kite once every month
    • I fly a kite once every week
    • I fly a kite once every day

Nah, It's more random. I've had a few times o'er the years where I was very into kiting, some where I just had the urge out of the blue, and some vast stretches where kiting n'er came to mind.

Seriously giving thought to building a Wright Flyer in kite form followed by a full scale either complete with a briggs engine or a very heavy tether and anchor....the thought comes to mind "why build just "a kite" when a kite that I could attempt to fly on or under would bring more gratification".

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Nah, It's more random. I've had a few times o'er the years where I was very into kiting, some where I just had the urge out of the blue, and some vast stretches where kiting n'er came to mind.

Seriously giving thought to building a Wright Flyer in kite form followed by a full scale either complete with a briggs engine or a very heavy tether and anchor....the thought comes to mind "why build just "a kite" when a kite that I could attempt to fly on or under would bring more gratification".

Roger thoughts giving. :daydreaming: My recent urge is however in no mood or condition for anything but getting my fly on in the air now!! :fly: erhm... :flying: I am not giving any rat's patoot for neatness or eye-appeal or better line or sacred cow or any little things beyond getting up with a good flying kite.

While we're still young!? :mickmouse:

I didn't say last post with vids, but I crashed and tore some wing sail loose when I brought her down from 500 feet. All my fault as I had her just 30 feet away from grounding but didn't let her settle back before pulling the rest down; she overflew me, turned a right 90 and nose dived into the ground. :omg: It tore part of a wing out of the staples. Fixed now with more staples. :cap:

Working out now how to attach a little flashlight I have so it shines up on the wings. :ideamaybenot:

There's a joke here somewhere about a 500 foot club, but it evades me. :nono:

Edited by Turtle

My recent urge is however in no mood or condition for anything but getting my fly on in the air now!! :fly: erhm... :flying: I am not giving any rat's patoot for neatness or eye-appeal or better line or sacred cow or any little things beyond getting up with a good flying kite.

If that be the case why are you fighting with delta types?

The best flying, highest payload kites I've ever flown were of the design in the above sketch....though mine had more surface area fore to aft. and were smaller in diameter. I seem to recall the frame to be tiehre comprised of six sticks around the perimeter or three that intersected at the core. This four stick is pretty and relatively simple.

If that be the case why are you fighting with delta types?

The best flying, highest payload kites I've ever flown were of the design in the above sketch....though mine had more surface area fore to aft. and were smaller in diameter. I seem to recall the frame to be tiehre comprised of six sticks around the perimeter or three that intersected at the core. This four stick is pretty and relatively simple.

Those are beauties!! Are you planning on building or buying another? I don't know what gave you the impression I am fighting with my Conyne-delta kite though. We get along wonderfully. :hug: I have my eye out for a flying field away from town where I can put up my whole 1000 foot spool of new string. Meantime I am having fun with what I have. :hi:

:flying:

Edited by Turtle

I don't know what gave you the impression I am fighting with my Conyne-delta kite though.
My recent urge is however in no mood or condition for anything but getting my fly on in the air now!! :fly: erhm... :flying: I am not giving any rat's patoot for neatness or eye-appeal or better line or sacred cow or any little things beyond getting up with a good flying kite.
and the whole crash thing (two reported as I recall).

I'm tempted...have more pressing projects to address first...namely the destruction of a shed and the construction of it's replacement including a concrete foundation. (Digging in ancient creek bed [all gravel, largish rocks and hard clay] is such a joy in 90 deg temps and high humidity.)

[/size] and the whole crash thing (two reported as I recall).

I'm tempted...have more pressing projects to address first...namely the destruction of a shed and the construction of it's replacement including a concrete foundation. (Digging in ancient creek bed [all gravel, largish rocks and hard clay] is such a joy in 90 deg temps and high humidity.)

:lol: Well, the crashings were nothing to do with the kite and everything to do with my impatiences. :loser: Feel free to fly vicariously through me until you get yourself kited again. :daydreaming:

Keep your eyes open for interesting geology or artifacts in that digging. :clue: Did you know kites are being used to get aerial photographs of remote archaeological sites? :photos:

The wind is stronger tonight & I'm taking the big rhombox to see if I can get it up. Tally ho!!! :dogwalk:

Not much interesting found...just lots and lots and lots of shale, the long lost nozzle for the garden hose, and a few lost metal bits that managed to hide long enough to be swallowed up by the earth. It's funny how the frost steadily brings new rocks up every year, but other bits migrate the other way. Didn't expect to find anything groovy as the location is immediately adjacent to my house. Am repurposing the space under the aft deck by converting it into an enclosed structure rather than building an entire new one...the loss of the old shed will enlarge my available yard space by 168 ft\2. and eliminate a rotting and caving in eyesore.

The wind is stronger tonight & I'm taking the big rhombox to see if I can get it up. Tally ho!!! :dogwalk:

Lol, you said get it up.

Vicariously, roger will do, over.

Lol, you said get it up.

Vicariously, roger will do, over.

Kite flyers do it in the wind. :kiss:

So tonight we had variable results tending to the poor side. :( First we tore a spar pocket on the Conyne-delta so that was out. Way to go! :kick: Then not enough wind for the rhombox so we didn't get it up. :wilted: But, we did have some fun flying my parachute. :bounce: I'll edit the videos into this post as soon as they are processed. :cap: Someone watching from a house across the field blew the horn when the kite started up. Funny!! :lol: Can ya see me now! :hi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNrZihpF-cU&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEkr6cpy94&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg

Edited by Turtle

Looked and sounded pretty blustery...perhaps the rhombox needs more sail. Round here you pretty much need two kites one low with generous sail surface and wind one high with minimal surface and high stability...but mostly the high wind will see use due to perpetual windiness. (With much aggravation I read the news about the latest efforts to block proposed wind farms on the hill....really couldn't ask for a better place to have them....have seen a couple of the big turbines further south, they look surreal to me, but I wouldn't consider them an eyesore...besides, installing and maintaining them would bring much needed work to the area.)

Ever built a rigid kite? Or do they officially become sailplanes once the construction goes in the direction of fabric covered aircraft, or thin balsa o'er a rigid frame?

In my yute I built several kite/sailplanes the largest boasting a 4' delta wing attached to a 1" square dowel tapered down to 1/4" and roundish at the tail (simple two surface "V" aft control surface). Required four lines to fly, was a pain to get aloft, difficult to keep airborne once up, and kindling within 10 minutes of it's maiden launch (pavement is so unforgiving :( ).

Looked and sounded pretty blustery...perhaps the rhombox needs more sail. Round here you pretty much need two kites one low with generous sail surface and wind one high with minimal surface and high stability...

Yeah, I could add wings. But as you got a hint from the vid, when the wind is strong & steady she goes up like a rocket. My plan was to use the Conyne as a pilot kite as you say, but then we tore the spar pocket so that was off. Will be sewing up some new canvas pockets ASAP. :cap:

Ever built a rigid kite? Or do they officially become sailplanes once the construction goes in the direction of fabric covered aircraft, or thin balsa o'er a rigid frame?

In my yute I built several kite/sailplanes the largest boasting a 4' delta wing attached to a 1" square dowel tapered down to 1/4" and roundish at the tail (simple two surface "V" aft control surface). Required four lines to fly, was a pain to get aloft, difficult to keep airborne once up, and kindling within 10 minutes of it's maiden launch (pavement is so unforgiving :( ).

No I never built a rigid kite, but yes it's a kite if it flies from a tether. :thumbs_up Craig mentioned flying gliders and 'airplanes' as kites over in the this UFO can't be a kite thread. Perhaps he'll post on it here. (He's shy so don't make any sudden movements or noises. ;) )

I tell you one thing; all this flying lately has me tuckered! :whew: Someone wanna take up some of my slack? :jab: :juggle:

The first Wright flying machines were flown like kites.

I'll trade yuo....my chores for your kite flying...would trade locales as well but looking at the weather it's no better there than here...well, wait a minute your lows and humidity look waaaaay better...oddly wind speed for here and there are stated at 7mph...by the lack of movement outside I think they're overstating wind speed here...not that the heat is letting me get anything done. Gave serious thought to mowing...but one step out the back door promptly changed my mind. T'is not so much the heat but the humidity, lack of airflow, and the heat...cowering inside with the A/C and dehumidifier on full blast, with my industrial duty barrel fan following me room to room to keep the claustrophobia at bey (some days I get stupid and remind me I'm trapped on a little ball rolling around the sun with no escape, rendering myself rather unstable for long stretches). Since the weather outside immediately renders me incapable of breathing I get to enjoy being trapped inside my home praying for a break in the weather. On the bright side (if one can call it bright) I'm not alone (metaphorically speaking) as my respiratory problem is hereditary and part of a wonderful genetic gift package passed down from my mother to me and all of my siblings. Somewhere out there they are all hiding in their homes too.

The first Wright flying machines were flown like kites.

:thumbs_up Making it at the time of flight not just like a kite, but a kite. They also built a kite previous to the Flyer and designed to test their wing-warping ideas.

The 1899 Wright kite was controlled

from the ground with four strings attached

to two sticks. By angling the sticks,

the operator could roll the kite.

Source

I'll trade yuo....my chores for your kite flying...would trade locales as well but looking at the weather it's no better there than here...well, wait a minute your lows and humidity look waaaaay better...oddly wind speed for here and there are stated at 7mph...by the lack of movement outside I think they're overstating wind speed here...not that the heat is letting me get anything done. Gave serious thought to mowing...but one step out the back door promptly changed my mind. T'is not so much the heat but the humidity, lack of airflow, and the heat...cowering inside with the A/C and dehumidifier on full blast, with my industrial duty barrel fan following me room to room to keep the claustrophobia at bey (some days I get stupid and remind me I'm trapped on a little ball rolling around the sun with no escape, rendering myself rather unstable for long stretches). Since the weather outside immediately renders me incapable of breathing I get to enjoy being trapped inside my home praying for a break in the weather. On the bright side (if one can call it bright) I'm not alone (metaphorically speaking) as my respiratory problem is hereditary and part of a wonderful genetic gift package passed down from my mother to me and all of my siblings. Somewhere out there they are all hiding in their homes too.

As you have determined, it's hot & muggy here. Now 89º, down from 91º F. Won't be any flying tonight because I have to make new spar pockets and it's too hot to sew. :whew: Here's an earlier video from the day we went to 500 feet. It's all about the audio in this one, as the line is really singing. :singer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TfmMWjUGtI&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg

Hrrrm, heard the wind, but could not hear the line....

Felt the need to throw a kite typish factiod in the last post....to make it at least a little sciencey related

Crystal clear sky belies the hot muggy nature of the world outside my window....looks so inviting but I know better.

Have 12' X 12' (closer to 13 on each side if I were to cut the corners) collapsable square sun blocking whatchajigger and aluminium spars that once held it together downstairs....wonder if cutting it into half diagonally would render it a sewing free very large delta.....wonder if it would fly.....wonder what I would need for line.....hrrrrmmmmm You're the expert, Whatcha think?

Hrrrm, heard the wind, but could not hear the line....

The high pitch 'whine' at the start is the line vibrating. Give me a C... a bouncing C... :lol:

Felt the need to throw a kite typish factiod in the last post....to make it at least a little sciencey related

Try as one may, there is no separating kites from Science. Just so, neither is there separating kiting from Culture. We are well placed in the Watercooler section of a Science forum. :partycheers:

Crystal clear sky belies the hot muggy nature of the world outside my window....looks so inviting but I know better.

Have 12' X 12' (closer to 13 on each side if I were to cut the corners) collapsable square sun blocking whatchajigger and aluminium spars that once held it together downstairs....wonder if cutting it into half diagonally would render it a sewing free very large delta.....wonder if it would fly.....wonder what I would need for line.....hrrrrmmmmm You're the expert, Whatcha think?

Sounds like the same material I am making the new 14 foot Conyne-delta sails of. :thumbs_up My salvaged cover started 10ft X 10ft. Wingspan of new kite will be 14 feet and it will be 6 feet tall. Legs of the canopy as I recall were steel and I don't have them anyway, so I am going with wood sticks. May add some aluminum angle stock for stiffening, but the sticks are either in the open or in pockets so easily replaced on the Conyne-delta. Haven't been working on it on account of going flying.

Yesterday I priced rip-stop nylon and un-rip-stopped nylon at fabric store and both are $7.99 US per yard. :omg: Not in my budget anytime soon. :umno:

Here's a site with many kite plans. >> Kite Plan Base

Decided to sew those pockets in spite of the heat. Air is dead still outside and we're circulating what air we can with fans. :turtle: :fan:

Edited by Turtle

Sounds like the same material I am making the new 14 foot Conyne-delta sails of. :thumbs_up [wingspan. kite will be 6 feet tall] Legs of the canopy as I recall were steel and I don't have them anyway, so I am going with wood sticks. May add some aluminum angle stock for stiffening, but the sticks are either in the open or in pockets so easily replaced on the Conyne-delta.<br style="color: rgb(8, 8, 8); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">
I think, the aluminium braces I have will be of little use (too short) but the junctions that joined them might prove invaluable....will have to do some stick chasing.

-D.d- wonder if cutting it into half diagonally would render it a sewing free very large delta.....wonder if it would fly.....wonder what I would need for line.....hrrrrmmmmm You're the expert, Whatcha think?

What do you think about the sewin? think I could avoid it or get away with very minimal half@$$ed localized stitching? Line recommend?

Yesterday I priced rip-stop nylon and un-rip-stopped nylon at fabric store and both are $7.99 US per yard. :omg: Not in my budget anytime soon. :umno:
I'll have to dig up some links for ya that is steep. I've seen both for less than a dollar for a yard by 60" in my online explorations.

I think, the aluminium braces I have will be of little use (too short) but the junctions that joined them might prove invaluable....will have to do some stick chasing.

What do you think about the sewin? think I could avoid it or get away with very minimal half@$ed localized stitching? Line recommend?

I'll have to dig up some links for ya that is steep. I've seen both for less than a dollar for a yard by 60" in my online explorations.

On the sewing. If the material doesn't fray badly, then you can leave edges un-hemmed. For the necessary joinery, glue, tape, and hand sewing as needed. Do just enough to hold it together for a test fly and let any problems speak for themselves.

On the line. Depends on how big a kite. I'm using twisted nylon 'Mason Line' on the 7 footer. Rated at 10lbs. Paid $12 US for 1050 feet at the hardware store. For the rhombox and 14 Conyne I'm using 1/8" braided nylon. Rated 40lbs. Weird though, at the store that 1/8" line was 14¢ foot in bulk from a reel of 600 feet, but the same line was 6.5¢ per foot in 48 foot hanks. I bought 4 hanks and tied them together for a 200 foot line. More is not in the budget for now. Screw all the supposed 'specialty kite lines' stuff. Fiberglass and carbon fibre and Dacron and yada yada yada is nice if you have the cashola, but none of it is necessary.

I may have one more short vid of how I staked down my trike and used it as anchor for the rhombox. Be back when processed. :coffee_n_pc:

Ha! Got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO3lVqBpzvE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg

Edited by Turtle