• I fly a kite once every 60 years
    • I fly a kite once every 40 years
    • I fly a kite once every 20 years
    • I fly a kite once every 10 years
    • I fly a kite once every year
    • I fly a kite once every month
    • I fly a kite once every week
    • I fly a kite once every day

Thanks for the pic. Looks exactly as i was picturing the kite under load in my head.

That pic nicely confirms my initial suspicion that the rear cell gets slack due to forces on the wings, well distorted, might be more appropriate. Or is This an intended effect of the Coyne design...meh, seems to be normal to some extent.

Maybe I'm not losing it. Seems the distance from the front for the cross spar varies widely in production kites...has me thinkin, if it were closer to amidships it would inflict less strain on the wing spars.

Also. Am I right in thinking you are carrying the cross spar on the belly instead of on top as I am consistently finding for this type of kite? (I'm sure you specified somewhere, but my glasses are screwed [fell off while i was riding and the lenses got chewed up pretty good] and quite frankly not all that eager to dig through blurry post after blurry post looking for a fraction of a sentence. :( really hoping I can just get new lenses and on the cheap. )

Hrrrrmmm, I've a couple novel ideas to stiffen them wings...spiral wrap the spars clockwise and counter with paper strips soaked in a diluted mix of wood glue...or perhaps a wood lamination with a reverse curve applied at the point where wing spar meets cross spar and held until the glue cures...as the wing loads, the strain would actually be relieved.

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Thanks for the pic. Looks exactly as i was picturing the kite under load in my head.

That pic nicely confirms my initial suspicion that the rear cell gets slack due to forces on the wings, well distorted, might be more appropriate. Or is This an intended effect of the Coyne design...meh, seems to be normal to some extent.

Mmmm...the back part of the lower cells in all picks looks relatively straight, especially compared to my last markup of Matilda. :clue:

Maybe I'm not losing it. Seems the distance from the front for the cross spar varies widely in production kites...has me thinkin, if it were closer to amidships it would inflict less strain on the wing spars.

Yes they seem to vary a lot. While moving it down would better support the lower end, it seems it would then let the top of the wing-spar start flexing in over the fulcrum. :shrug:

Also. Am I right in thinking you are carrying the cross spar on the belly instead of on top as I am consistently finding for this type of kite? (I'm sure you specified somewhere, but my glasses are screwed [fell off while i was riding and the lenses got chewed up pretty good] and quite frankly not all that eager to dig through blurry post after blurry post looking for a fraction of a sentence. :( really hoping I can just get new lenses and on the cheap. )

Good luck on specs. I'm hard on reading glasses myself and just buy those off-the-shelf jobs at the drugstore. Ophthalmologist...ppphhhhhh. :Glasses: :lol:

So yes, I mentioned following some old advice on putting the cross-spar on the belly. The reason given was that in back it would distort the nice curve in the wing. I think you can see this in the top pic.

Also I see the middle pic has the cross spar tied/connected to the longerons with plastic sleeves, but the other 2 kites not. Then too, while the unsecured cross spar in top pic is bowing 'in' against the sail, in the lower pic it seems to be bowing 'out' away from the sail in back. (looks like the last 2 pics are the same design/company, but not the exact same kite? )

One other thing I see is that in the first pic it looks like they initially used a smaller top cell set down from the top as I did, but then later filled the top gap with an added strip of sail (light purple). :clue:

Looks like a whole lot o' do what works. Good stuff!!

I don't think reading glasses would do me any good, I'm far sighted with astigmatism.

Below a plain ol delta wing I made. dimensions roughly 9'X9', so far the winds are only enough to get it a few feet off the ground before they die off....think i need to seek another locale for testing

Stupid wind! when I'm in here it blows, when I go out it stops! GRRRrrrrrr! Got a nice rope burn on the tale of a gust that dedided to quit just as I was getting it airborne but not before yanking a good bit of line through my hand...she'll fly dangit, I know she will....if I can get this damn wind to cooperate. :(

Edit 4:47: Dang WIND!!! E to ENE to NE to E to S to NW to NE...PICK A F***ING DIRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrG!

Perfect flying weather except for the blippin wind.

First real flight 10 seconds roughly 20' altitude...still dinking with the bridle to get her to take the right attitude for climbing.

I don't think reading glasses would do me any good, I'm far sighted with astigmatism.

Below a plain ol delta wing I made. dimensions roughly 9'X9', so far the winds are only enough to get it a few feet off the ground before they die off....think i need to seek another locale for testing

Now that's a kite! :omg: I hope that's not blood staining the sail. Definitely need some more space I agree. :agree:

Glad you're taking up some of my slack as domestic duties have tied my hands for a few days. :(

I have a new idea for aerial drops...BIOCHAR!!! :fire: If nothing else it would make a good addition to the seed-bomb mix of clay and compost.

And what about sails made of flexible photovoltaic paneling?

And how about a flying line of 2-conductor insulated wire? Connect to 12 volt battery and let the light show begin. Illuminated charcoal drop anyone? :kuku:

Guess I better get off my duff and get busy. :cap:

PS Here's some vid from the 2006 Washington State International Kite Festival for inspiration. Be sure to check out the Geezer toward the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9I7LCehGQ8

Edited by Turtle

Nah, that's cedar stain stainin it...was a canopy, then a tarp, and finally a drop cloth before becoming a kite.

And what about sails made of flexible photovoltaic paneling?<br style="color: rgb(8, 8, 8); font-size: 13.333333969116211px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">

And how about a flying line of 2-conductor insulated wire? Connect to 12 volt battery and let the light show begin. Illuminated charcoal drop anyone? :kuku:

You got the wrong person if you're expecting to be considered a bit nuts for ideas like that....sounds really really cool to me.

Nah, that's cedar stain stainin it...was a canopy, then a tarp, and finally a drop cloth before becoming a kite.

OK; good. :whew: Mmmmmm...I wonder how many people have asked to be buried wrapped in a kite? :rip: Oh oh oh ! Idea!!! Mummy kites!! Make the sail from the wrappings and the sticks from bones. :hal_skeleton: :unsure:

Oh! Make sure you wear gloves for Jimminy sakes.

You got the wrong person if you're expecting to be considered a bit nuts for ideas like that....sounds really really cool to me.

Oooooppppssss...wrong emoticon. I meant :smart: . :D

So I found more thread and I sewed hook-n-loop closures to the wing-spar pockets. I often watch the sewing babes on PBS on Saturdays -you rock Ladies!! :kiss:- and I should have known better than to say Velcro® earlier, which is a trademarked hook-n-loop system. My bad. :whp-pssh:

Then ...uhhhh...erhm... that's it then. :smoking:

So I found more thread
I ended up usin fishin line to stitch a couple places....I know i have a large assortment of thread and needles somewhere round here.....I saw them the during last big clean.....of course when I needs em no sign of them anywhere. Am thinking the fishin line will be my official thread from now on for projects...doesn't break as easily and when drawn taught it actually tightens as it sits....much easier to get into the needle too.

Blasphemy!!! utter blasphemy!!!

Bought a couple super cheapy deltas, hoping to get the mrs to go flyin with me....kinda recapturin a little of my childhood with them, had so many cheapies in my youth....figurin on makin an old school tissue paper and stick diamond in the near future...perhaps a box as well....figure with heavy weather on the way I should get the big delta up for realzees (at least fifty feet and for longer than a few seconds) in the near future.

[/size]I ended up usin fishin line to stitch a couple places....I know i have a large assortment of thread and needles somewhere round here.....I saw them the during last big clean.....of course when I needs em no sign of them anywhere. Am thinking the fishin line will be my official thread from now on for projects...doesn't break as easily and when drawn taught it actually tightens as it sits....much easier to get into the needle too.

I imagine there is some special needle or such a matter that lets you machine sew with monofilament. I really have no idea about what thread goes with what needle goes with what fabric. :kick: Sorry sewing ladies. :doh: I do know when I change thread types I end up having to fiddle with the tension. Man I hate that!! :tearhair: Well, in my defense I sew slow, but I do poor work. :P

Blasphemy!!! utter blasphemy!!!

Bought a couple super cheapy deltas, hoping to get the mrs to go flyin with me....kinda recapturin a little of my childhood with them, had so many cheapies in my youth....figurin on makin an old school tissue paper and stick diamond in the near future...perhaps a box as well....figure with heavy weather on the way I should get the big delta up for realzees (at least fifty feet and for longer than a few seconds) in the near future.

Nothing blaspheemiss there. All my messing around may be kiting, but it aint kite flying. If I see tree tops start swaying and I stop swaying from the Pinot later, I figured to take Alida & do a little childhood recapturing myself. :daydreaming:

Meantime I took Matilda outside and shoved her wing-spars in so I might otherwise probe her circumstance. Stepped inside the cell vent and held her aloft by the leading longeron until she balanced level and marked the center of gravity. It's 3 1/2" below the horizontal centerline. It hung level side-to-side, so whatever that Port lean is about it's not a weight imbalance.

Considered at least 3 different additional stick arrangements and mocked them up to see what might happen. Any new sticks will add weight & I'll lose lift. Rats!! :lol: Just got a wild idea though. Shorten the wing-spar by 12" up from tip and either let the sail flap or cut it off. Shorter stick now stiffer and part of the drag that was flexing the wing-spar now gone. :ideamaybenot:

Drawing of stuff attached. :1drink:

Edited by Turtle

Heresy! That's the word I was lookin for

Hearsay? Whersay? Whosay? :friday: We all say it's OK. :circle:

Little wind and danger of thunderstorms so no flying with a bloomin' foil kite tonight. :weather_storm:

I took the liberty of not waiting for the coffee to kick in before making up a new overlay drawing. Should be self-explanatory. :rotfl:

Edited by Turtle

Lesse, the PINK potential to a diamond Coyne. YELLOW and RED, revised bracing, the BLACK a potential brace revision and lines depicting possibly how it will load, light BLUE another potential brace revision, PURPLE points to potential revisions, BROWN, DARK GREEN no idea, LIGHT GREEN, potential revisions.

Generous gusts today, am hoping the rain will remain on hold for a bit, at least until the neighbors ain't around....real potential to get the big boy up, fingers crossed.

Arg, the disadvantages to living in a bowl, confused and wandering currents. Still no luck beating the 20 foot barrier....beautiful and reasonably steady above the trees, but due to the velocity needed and to a lesser extent lack of runway it ain't happening. But mostly it's the roughly 5 or 6 MPH steady required for the kite to hold altitude and closer to 10 needed for it to climb combined with the wind's refusal to hold steady in any direction more than a few short seconds closer to the ground....need to figure out how to transport to another locale (kite is not collapsible) with the bike (truck is out of commission, not legal for the road)....preferably where there are no witnesses...would be different if successful flights had been logged...would be different if people wouldn't feel the need to gawk and pester...shame dad's fields are too far to make a run for it without drawing unwanted attention.

Lesse, the PINK potential to a diamond Coyne. YELLOW and RED, revised bracing, the BLACK a potential brace revision and lines depicting possibly how it will load, light BLUE another potential brace revision, PURPLE points to potential revisions, BROWN, DARK GREEN no idea, LIGHT GREEN, potential revisions.

snip...

Generous gusts today, am hoping the rain will remain on hold for a bit, at least until the neighbors ain't around....real potential to get the big boy up, fingers crossed.

:lol: You're good! Not sure about BROWN, DARK GREEN myself. I might have slipped over to a graphing part of my brain. :crazy:

On the pink though, I was actually trying to represent the full delta wings laid back along the lines set by the triangle cells. While it would lose some lift I was thinking the dihedral would steady the flight. :shrug:

Love the pics! Thanks. :bouquet: Commencing to noodle out those elastic bands. :sherlock:

Arg, the disadvantages to living in a bowl, confused and wandering currents. Still no luck beating the 20 foot barrier....beautiful and reasonably steady above the trees, but due to the velocity needed and to a lesser extent lack of runway it ain't happening. But mostly it's the roughly 5 or 6 MPH steady required for the kite to hold altitude and closer to 10 needed for it to climb combined with the wind's refusal to hold steady in any direction more than a few short seconds closer to the ground....need to figure out how to transport to another locale (kite is not collapsible) with the bike (truck is out of commission, not legal for the road)....preferably where there are no witnesses...would be different if successful flights had been logged...would be different if people wouldn't feel the need to gawk and pester...shame dad's fields are too far to make a run for it without drawing unwanted attention.

Now there's a story I can relate to. :read: All dressed up & no place to go. :boy: Looks like we got enough precip to wet the ground overnight. Even if it fell before midnight, July has been one of the driest on record here.

Keep the stories coming. I have been tapped for another secret mission so I'll likely be out of contact for the next several days while I save the world. :ph34r:

Now I'm certain mother nature is ****ing with me...and not in the good way. Just a football field away from my property in any direction nice stiff fairly constant breezes. While I was running errands beautiful steady 10 to 15mph everywhere I went, back home... nada. Hell with it I'm breaking out the little guy (48" delta)...one way or another I'm ****ing flyin today.

Now I'm certain mother nature is ****ing with me...and not in the good way. Just a football field away from my property in any direction nice stiff fairly constant breezes. While I was running errands beautiful steady 10 to 15mph everywhere I went, back home... nada. Hell with it I'm breaking out the little guy (48" delta)...one way or another I'm ****ing flyin today.

:thumbs_up Arrrgghhhh! That's the spirit Matey. :piratesword:

So I was clearing track histories from my GPS in preparation for the upcoming mission and I realized that I might be able to use it as an altimeter for the kite(s). :ideamaybenot: It has a function to save a Track History as a Route and then it automatically populates the route with Landmarks. Viewing individual Landmarks of a Route, there is an altitude given. :clue:

Mind you my GPS is at least 10 years old and still operates with an intentional averaging error, so small changes in position may not register well. :loser: Add to that my unsurety of whether or not the unit will recognize a change in altitude as constituting a Track. ??

Will give it a try though at first opportunity. :cap: Obviously the unit must be attached directly to the kite, and Alida may not have sufficient lift. :wilted: :fan: Matilda, Matilda! Where fore art thou Matilda!? :rose: :tongue: :unlove: :cry: