• I fly a kite once every 60 years
    • I fly a kite once every 40 years
    • I fly a kite once every 20 years
    • I fly a kite once every 10 years
    • I fly a kite once every year
    • I fly a kite once every month
    • I fly a kite once every week
    • I fly a kite once every day

Just make sure you don't get any Kangaroos in your kite Turtle as the swagman's Matilda is his swag. Might be a novel way to release seeds too but the authorities probably wouldn't agree. :)

:thumbs_up Bob's yer Uncle mate!! I have been reading up on your history and it makes Matilda all the more fitting a name. Matilda will be in a matilda as I trikeabout my way though the countryside in search of flyable fields. :lol: [Closest billabong, 30 miles N. called Blue Lake]

As I plan to only drop native wildflower seeds, I expect no quarrel with the 3 erhm... amigos. ;)

Be it known that I am doing my best in my kite flying to adhere to all applicable regulations as best I understand them. Safety first.

Back in 1981, a fella on the crew flying a record 14,000+ square/foot kite at Long Beach Washington was killed in an incident similar to Conyne's that I just cited. I had a picture of the kite up earlier in this thread, but I see it was lost when we changed forum software. I still have the original article and permission to reproduce it, but I have no scanner just now. It is a little known bit of history, swept under the rug by festival folk and the record was never recognized by Guiness.

Well, G'donya Ozzians!!! Keep the wind at yer backs. :fan:

Edited by Turtle

Oh, mr Turtle, you silly. You have no digital camera? Nor with all of your nifty skills the ability to take a high res pic at the appropriate distance to render it readable and fill the frame? I don't buy it, not at all good sir.

:doh: What a maroon am I. :loser: BRB :photos:

Ok. Here's just the picture of the kite with a caption. I was mistaken on the year; it was 1983. I'll be back with pics of the text. This clipping is from the Chinook Observer in Long Beach. :clue:

EDIT: add text pics.

Note: They give the dimensions as 115 feet X 14 feet; this should be 115 feet X 124 feet. They correctly give the square footage as 14,260ft2. I watched them try to get it up for a week, but left the beach to go eat about an hour before the accident.Just as well. :rip:

Edited by Turtle

I never saw this before, but there are photos of the guy hanging from the lines. :omg: I'm not confident in posting the copyright photos, but here is a link to a forum that has posted them. Good color shot of the kite, and again I forgot something, i.e. Harry got Budweiser on board as a sponsor. I see also in reading around that Harry is dead, but I'm not sure of the year. He always reminded me of Jerry Vandyke. :rip:

Click here: >> Record Kite Accident Photos

Edited by Turtle

Yes Turtle kiting can be a dangerous sport for bystanders. I just heard on the news that kites and UAV's have been banned during the future G20 meeting in Brisbane. I've seen many r/c FPV (fly per view) videos on YouTube and don't doubt the potential (and real) damage capacity of drones but classing kites in the same category is stretching it a bit especially if you've flown them and know how fickle the wind can be.

But then again flying kites wherever there are lots of people around (apart from record breaking exercises) is a pretty stupid idea at the best of times. I don't know if it's just beach flying Turtle because the people walking by always seem to stand around an ooh and ahh directly under where you are flying the kite(s) (the worst place) so you have to stop and do nothing until they get bored and move on.

Yes Turtle kiting can be a dangerous sport for bystanders. I just heard on the news that kites and UAV's have been banned during the future G20 meeting in Brisbane. I've seen many r/c FPV (fly per view) videos on YouTube and don't doubt the potential (and real) damage capacity of drones but classing kites in the same category is stretching it a bit especially if you've flown them and know how fickle the wind can be.

But then again flying kites wherever there are lots of people around (apart from record breaking exercises) is a pretty stupid idea at the best of times. I don't know if it's just beach flying Turtle because the people walking by always seem to stand around an ooh and ahh directly under where you are flying the kite(s) (the worst place) so you have to stop and do nothing until they get bored and move on.

Yeah, the multiline controllable kites present another whole set of dangers & challenges for flyers and spectators. Qui onques rien n'enprist riens n'achieva as the French say.

If one judges by the numerous bandages on my hands, making kites is no cakewalk either. :cake: :doh:

Check out Peter Lynn's accepted record size kites. Still not as big as the Long Beach beast by several thousand square feet. >> Peter Lynn

snip...

Check out Peter Lynn's accepted record size kites. Still not as big as the Long Beach beast by several thousand square feet. >> Peter Lynn

snap...

A bit more here on the records. Harry Osborne -builder of the Long Beach unrecognized record kite- was a friend of Peter Lynn's and while I don't recall if Peter ever came to Long Beach he was acutely aware of what took place there. Peter's record holding kites have cords running to rip panels so the kites can be deflated in an emergency.

Also, Laurie, if you didn't notice, Peter is from New Zealand and it got me to thinking on whether or not you Ozzies get along with them New Zealanders (Do they have a nickname?) or what the historical/cultural relationship is d'under twixt your nations. Enquiring minds want to know?

So I took a swatch of the sail fabric that I used for Matilda and then painted some designs on it using tempera paint. Left it dry 1/2 a day and then washed it and it came completely clean. Yaaayyy!!!! :bounce: I can paint whatever design on her that strikes my fancy and then wash it off to do something different.

Finished the knot tying on the second wing-spar and will start painting it tonight. I have re-thought the metal cross spar & decided to go instead with wood. To get some more beef I plan to laminate a 1/4 X 1/2 strip onto a 1/2 X 1/2 piece and Bob's yer uncle. :rolleyes:

Off to waltz Matilda & find me a jumpbuck for my tucker then......:sheepjump:

Edited by Turtle

Tempera paint is by nature temporary and tasty too.

As a child I had the worlds smallest kite it was "N" scale (1:160) or about the size of this ^ and lofted to a record height of 12 inches.

If anyone sees me licking Matilda...it was in Vegas. :cutewink: :rotfl: As an adult I built a 1/2" box kite and...well...lets just say it lofted several feet shy of 12 inches. :wilted:

So my new bright idea for Matilda. :ideamaybenot: While sticks in the triangle-box section are not necessary, they are not prohibited either. So, I make a triangular frame and mount it at the center of gravity (which I will find by suspending the kite by the leading longeron when it's done). Then I fix my camera to the frame, and I can record up close the performance of the kite. Annotated plan attached. Follow the yellow arrow.

Not how I have done aerial photography in the past, but I now have a big kite & a little camera. :bounce: :alien_dance: :yay_jump:

Edit: PS Laminated spar drying in clamps. :cap:

Edited by Turtle

Also, Laurie, if you didn't notice, Peter is from New Zealand and it got me to thinking on whether or not you Ozzies get along with them New Zealanders (Do they have a nickname?) or what the historical/cultural relationship is d'under twixt your nations. Enquiring minds want to know?

The Australian military celebration is called ANZAC day (April 25, Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) which goes back to WWI at Gallipoli in Turkey. The moral is that it doesn't matter if you win or lose it's how you play the game that counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC

The main nickname used is 'Kiwi' (NZ flightless bird) although, from what I read, many Kiwi's in the UK call themselves Australians if asked due to the many sheep jokes and associated derogatory terms. Other nicknames used are 'south pacific pommies' as some have strong accents and jokes are made about the way they say things like 'Fish & Chips & Six' (Fush & Chups & Sex).

All in all Ozzies get on well with Kiwi's Turtle.

snip ...

All in all Ozzies get on well with Kiwi's Turtle.

Excellent!! :thumbs_up I am resting assured in the matter that y'all won't be exchanging kite-borne ordnance in anger. :grouphug:

In Kite News Today: :read:

BERKELEY -- Kites will fill the skies this weekend, as one of the largest kite festivals in the Western Hemisphere takes flight.

The free Berkeley Kite Festival, which was founded in 1986, helps give back to the community each year and promotes passion in kiting, said Tom McAlister, founder of the festival and owner of Highline Kites of Berkeley. The 28th annual festival, which initially drew 500 spectators, is expected to attract more than 25,000 kite lovers over two days at the Cesar Chavez Park.

"When you take someone outside and put a kite in their hand, in almost every case they're surprised how much fun it is," McAlister said. "The kite festival is an opportunity to share that excitement with as many people as we can."

Full Story: >> Berkeley Kite Festival takes flight this weekend

Edited by Turtle

Aha! Sticks are done & I have started assembly. :xparty: I should have it all together tonight, but even so it's not looking like I will try & fly. Still have to make a bag too...rats! :doh:

In Kite News Today: >> Royston's Charity Kite Festival is part of town's 'tapestry'

Bright colours will decorate the skies above Royston for the annual Rotary Club of Royston’s Charity Kite Festival on August 4. The event, which has raised more than £45,000 for both local and national charities during the last 10 years, is expected to attract thousands of visitors to the town. This year’s family-friendly festival, partnered by Royston Weekly News, takes place at Therfield Heath. Organiser Karin Weston said: “The kite festival has always been a spectacular event as well as raising so much for charity.

“Even after 10 years we are still as excited as ever over organising an event which has become part of the tapestry of Royston.

Royston Kite Festival Official page: >>Royston Kite Festival UK

It's all over now but the crying. :cry: :lol: Matilda & bag are ready and just need wind tonight to get it up. With my odd sized cells I undoubtedly altered the usual center of pressure and I expect the usual bridle attachment points may not be ideal. In preparation I put in 4 bridle loops on the top cell and spaced them 2" apart and I put 2 bridle attachment points on the lower cell, also 2" apart. This should make my in-field adjustment easier and I hope give me enough options in the top cell to work out a single-line attachment.

What else? Grabbed an action still of the rhombox launch attempt and attached below. Got to thinking how well the 30 year-old fabric on her is holding up.

So any of you dear tender readers sneaking out to fly yet? Telling the fam you're playing golf or going to the batting cages in order to avoid the horrible embarrassment of being outed as a kiter? :omg: Or maybe you're still sneaking off to the garage or basement to work secretly on your new kite? :shy: Well, you needn't worry as your secret is safe with me. Why not post some pics and tell your story here? After all, when you mention Hypography the family just rolls their eyes and excuse themselves for some important job like waxing the furniture. :rotfl:

Well, mums the word. ;)

All righty thens. Matilda flies!! :dance: My videographer couldn't make it so I did what I could. Left out the early bad behavior video, but I will describe it. Kite up, lean to right (her Port), swing right, hard right turn, nose dive to ground. :omg: :lol:

So, she's heavy on her port side and I tied some weights on her starboard. Her bridle is too short and she dodges in a gust.

All in all, a good flight. Oh...the banner on the line is 50 feet from the kite and about 40 feet from the anchor. I planned to fly an American flag at the 100 foot mark, but the wind died and as she came down an electric RC plane :airplane: arrived on scene and buzzed me so I yielded the fielded. :bump:

Forecast for tomorrow is windy! :fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CY28YwS13I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAbr0_jUOc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg

Edited by Turtle

I've never seen a line that straight up afore. Mine always go long and form a long arc.

She flies rather nicely.

To answer your question a post or so ago...

Was planning on flying today...so of course...zero breeze...typical...figures. Had pnalled* it as a fun way to kill some time with the mrs.

*planned, damn fingers.

I've never seen a line that straight up afore. Mine always go long and form a long arc.

She flies rather nicely.

This high string angle is a characteristic of delta-Conyne kites. I will need to add tails to hold Matilda back and keep her from over-flying me. When they overfly they get directly overhead, then the kite tips nose down and dives for the ground. Unless you can get tension back on the line and move back in front of the kite, there's little to do but go see if you broke any sticks. I did sew loops for tails into the wing-tips, but there is already a lot of stress and bending of my light wing-spars so I will add some loops to the ends of the back longerons and fly my tails from there.

While the delta-Conyne is good for lifting stuff like babies, cameras, and flags, it's high line-angle is not good for other kite jobs like kite fishing where you want the kite to go out & long so you can drop your hook farther from shore.

To answer your question a post or so ago...

Was planning on flying today...so of course...zero breeze...typical...figures. Had pnalled* it as a fun way to kill some time with the mrs.

*planned, damn fingers.

You know what they say: The best laid pnalls of cime and nem notfen og ywar. :lol:

So situated as you are near a large body of water, you may be able to take advantage of morning lake breezes and evening land breezes. >> :read:

Sea Breezes @ Wiki

Sea Breeze

A sea-breeze (or onshore breeze) is a wind from the sea that develops over land near coasts. It is formed by increasing temperature differences between the land and water; these create a pressure minimum over the land due to its relative warmth, and forces higher pressure, cooler air from the sea to move inland.

The sea has a greater heat capacity than land and can therefore absorb more heat than the land, so the surface of the sea warms up more slowly than the land's surface.[2] As the temperature of the surface of the land rises, the land heats the air above it. The warm air is less dense and so it rises. This rising air over the land lowers the sea level pressure by about 0.2%. The cooler air above the sea, now with higher sea level pressure, flows towards the land into the lower pressure, creating a cooler breeze near the coast. The strength of the sea breeze is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the land and the sea. If the environmental wind field is greater than 8 knots and opposing the direction of a possible sea breeze, the sea breeze is not likely to develop.[3]

Land breezes

At night, the land cools off faster than the ocean due to differences in their heat capacity, which forces the dying of the daytime sea breeze. If the land cools below that of the adjacent sea surface temperature, the pressure over the water will be lower than that of the land, setting up a land breeze as long as the environmental surface wind pattern is not strong enough to oppose it.