• I fly a kite once every 60 years
    • I fly a kite once every 40 years
    • I fly a kite once every 20 years
    • I fly a kite once every 10 years
    • I fly a kite once every year
    • I fly a kite once every month
    • I fly a kite once every week
    • I fly a kite once every day

Soooo I'm thinking I need a bigger delta-Conyne now; something in the range of 12 foot wingspan with sufficient lift to loft my camera and other such 'line laundry' as strikes my fancy. Ever on the cheap, I have a discarded cover for one of those portable awnings which ought to suffice for the sails. For struts I am ripping up some discarded 2x4 doug fir studs into 1/2" X 1/2" sticks. Not sure if it will all hold up, but free is a very good price even for a spectacular mid-air kite break-up. :photos:

Meantime, reading some history on Conyne himself, I see his family found his kite flying an embarrassment. Oh pshaw!! Get over it fam. If NASA isn't embarrassed, why should Uncle Pompous be? [i'll try and find the links for the history business. If you can't wait, look it up yourselfs. :P )

Index of Kite Slides @ NASA

Kite Index

Glenn

Research

Center

Here is a list of all the topics available from the Beginner's Guide to Kites site. Clicking on the title will deliver a page with a slide and a scientific explanation of the contents. Click on the word "Animated" for the animated version of selected pages. If the number and variety of pages seems too intimidating, consider taking one of our

Guided Tours through the web site.

(I have no end of trouble with Java and apparently I don't currently have it because of security problems, so I haven't been able to try the kite calculators at NASA. Any o' you bright blubs have any helpful suggestions I would be in your debt for like 20 minutes or such a matter. )

In making the 7.5 foot delta-Conyne I followed some 100 year old advice on cell proportions for the Conyne. I have misplaced the source so I'll just wing a paraphrasing. The recommendation is the lower cell larger than the upper cell. the upper cell coming short of the longerons at the top, and the gap between cells larger than the lower cell. I see a lot of variation in the photos I searched out, and doing a proper testing it seems would require multiple cell sails. :shrug: Any of you have experience with this?

Looks cool anyway. :dance: I grabbed some stills from the walk-down of the flight with tails. I think I'll try a single attachment instead of a 2-point bridle next. Maybe try the new string and put her out on a measured 500 feet. :cap:

Well? :jab:

EDIT: Found the cell size cite source. Scroll to page 4. >> The Kiteflier Issue 94

Edited by Turtle

Didn't fly tonight as wind & weather turned chilly. :winter_brr: Not to worry as I needed to work out a reel for my new line; 1050 feet of 10lb test twisted nylon 'Mason's Line'. Rather than make handles and disks on the core, I cut a short length of 4" plastic pipe, smoothed the edges, and wound my line onto it. Over the years I found this is a superior reel design for mid-weight long lines. Works great for a hauling line to loft laundry as well. Cheap. Very cheap. Easy to make. Cheap. Good...and cheap. :twocents: Shove in an arm, grip the lip and let 'em fly. :fly: Not that fly! :flying: There it is.B)

Edited by Turtle

Hey Turtle, deltas don't need to be that big unless you want to lift yourself.

Soooo I'm thinking I need a bigger delta-Conyne now; something in the range of 12 foot wingspan with sufficient lift to loft my camera and other such 'line laundry' as strikes my fancy.

While my kite is only 2.7m between the two bottom tips I can ski along the hard sand at the waters edge in a 30 knot breeze and it will fly in winds down to 7-8 knots. Also, put swivels on the harness and your kite will handle better and the strings will be more manageable when you set up or pack up.

Here's a few tips on how to set up and launch delta kites without getting string burn. :)

Launch

1. Start from where you are going to stand while flying (upwind) and walk with the kite (still dismantled) downwind to where you are going to launch it.

2. Set up the kite, lay it on its back and dig the two bottom points into the grass, put some weight over them or just cover the tips with sand if you are on a beach. This is just to hold the kite in place while you walk the strings out and launch.

3. Pick up the controls on one end, unwind the loops used to keep the wound strings in place, place one hand between the two strings and start walking back upwind to where you are going to fly from. The strings will unwind just like a fishing line off a reel but you must keep a hand between them to stop twisting and tangling. When you get to the end hold both strings and let the two handles unwind any remaining twists and you are ready to launch.

4. To launch just pull back on the control lines until the nose lifts and then pull both handles back towards you. The kite will launch straight up.

Landing

1. If you steer the kite into the weakest part of the wind envelope at the sides the pull is much reduced and the kite will soon land by itself. With a bit of practice you can do a two point landing and then relaunch it.

2. When the kite has landed put the two control handles together, use one hand to hold both strings together and start walking towards the kite while winding the strings reasonably tightly around the handles.

3. Once you are at the kite leave a bit of slack, wind two loops between the handles to keep the wound strings in place and pack up the kite.

The kite and the strings in the photo are over 20 years old although I had to replace the harness and rip stop nylon sail 15 years ago. Keep them away from pets too as they just love them. Happy kiting.

post-2995-0-94926500-1373620556_thumb.jpg

post-2995-0-27095700-1373620570_thumb.jpg

post-2995-0-47499200-1373620581_thumb.jpg

Didn't fly tonight as wind & weather turned chilly. :winter_brr: Not to worry as I needed to work out a reel for my new line; 1050 feet of 10lb test twisted nylon 'Mason's Line'. Rather than make handles and disks on the core, I cut a short length of 4" plastic pipe, smoothed the edges, and wound my line onto it. Over the years I found this is a superior reel design for mid-weight long lines. Works great for a hauling line to loft laundry as well. Cheap. Very cheap. Easy to make. Cheap. Good...and cheap. :twocents: Shove in an arm, grip the lip and let 'em fly. :fly: Not that fly! :flying: There it is.B)

I just noticed that you had a single line Turtle. Or was that line for your box kite?

If you want to try twin lines for your delta you can probably get the harness measurements from my pic. They should be very similar for all deltas.

Also, my delta strings are each 150 feet braided dacron, they don't have that much stretch and are very strong, but they were expensive.

Hey Turtle, deltas don't need to be that big unless you want to lift yourself.

While my kite is only 2.7m between the two bottom tips I can ski along the hard sand at the waters edge in a 30 knot breeze and it will fly in winds down to 7-8 knots. Also, put swivels on the harness and your kite will handle better and the strings will be more manageable when you set up or pack up.

Here's a few tips on how to set up and launch delta kites without getting string burn. :)

Launch

1. Start from where you are going to stand while flying (upwind) and walk with the kite (still dismantled) downwind to where you are going to launch it.

2. Set up the kite, lay it on its back and dig the two bottom points into the grass, put some weight over them or just cover the tips with sand if you are on a beach. This is just to hold the kite in place while you walk the strings out and launch.

3. Pick up the controls on one end, unwind the loops used to keep the wound strings in place, place one hand between the two strings and start walking back upwind to where you are going to fly from. The strings will unwind just like a fishing line off a reel but you must keep a hand between them to stop twisting and tangling. When you get to the end hold both strings and let the two handles unwind any remaining twists and you are ready to launch.

4. To launch just pull back on the control lines until the nose lifts and then pull both handles back towards you. The kite will launch straight up.

Landing

1. If you steer the kite into the weakest part of the wind envelope at the sides the pull is much reduced and the kite will soon land by itself. With a bit of practice you can do a two point landing and then relaunch it.

2. When the kite has landed put the two control handles together, use one hand to hold both strings together and start walking towards the kite while winding the strings reasonably tightly around the handles.

3. Once you are at the kite leave a bit of slack, wind two loops between the handles to keep the wound strings in place and pack up the kite.

The kite and the strings in the photo are over 20 years old although I had to replace the harness and rip stop nylon sail 15 years ago. Keep them away from pets too as they just love them. Happy kiting.

Yay!! A real kiter!!! :bounce: You rock Lor. :thumbs_up

I plan on lifting cameras and the occasional spinners, flags or banners. :photos: [Gloves strongly recommended for preventing string-burn.]

I just noticed that you had a single line Turtle. Or was that line for your box kite?

Both the new Delta-Conyne and the rhomboid box are single-line kites. I have plans to use the Delta-Conyne as a pilot kite to get the box kite up to some fresh breeze.

If you want to try twin lines for your delta you can probably get the harness measurements from my pic. They should be very similar for all deltas.

Also, my delta strings are each 150 feet braided dacron, they don't have that much stretch and are very strong, but they were expensive.

Since the triangular cells of my Delta-Conyne have no cross sticks, a 2-line setup as on your standard Delta stunter won't work. I think folks would have done the kite more fair if they had called it a Conyne-delta as the wind supported triangular cells are the key feature and the wings variable in shape. In it's more-or-less original form the Conyne kite is often called French Military kite.

Now I have string envy. :daydreaming: Alas even short expensive string is not in my budget. Do you have a regular flying ground Lor? Give me the full scoop.

Now where are the rest of you kloset kiters?Come out come out where ever you are ..... :jab: :slingshot:

I may have enough fabric to build ein groß Doppel-Delta-Conyne! I haven't flown one or seen them fly, but it does have a double bridle and might be controllable to some degree with 2 lines. :ideamaybenot: I'm thinking hybrid sticks now; part wood & part aluminum angle stock. :ideamaybenot:

Here's what I'm on about. >> KitePlans.org

[measurements in centimeters]

Do you have a regular flying ground Lor? Give me the full scoop.

Unfortunately old mother nature took away most of the sand so the best spot for kite flying is a bit wet at the moment.

That's Surfers Paradise (Gold Coast) in the background and the beach gets pretty crowded with people during the day so we started flying at night with glow sticks when there was a low tide.

Just saw the Doppel Delta Coyne plan Turtle and it looks great. The simplicity, flexibility and strength of the hollow carbon fiber rods pushed through and in the plastic tubing method used in my delta is great but once again adds cost. There's heaps of potential there.

I just tried to google the original designer of my kite, Hyperkites from San Diego, and they closed down in 1998.

post-2995-0-78994800-1373694102_thumb.jpg

post-2995-0-00602200-1373694117_thumb.jpg

post-2995-0-20490300-1373695162_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately old mother nature took away most of the sand so the best spot for kite flying is a bit wet at the moment.

That's Surfers Paradise (Gold Coast) in the background and the beach gets pretty crowded with people during the day so we started flying at night with glow sticks when there was a low tide.

What a shame. I imagine Gram will put the sand to good use. [My contract says I have to say that. Truth be told Gram wastes a lot of sand.] Lighted night kites...sehr gut! :idea:

Just saw the Doppel Delta Coyne plan Turtle and it looks great. The simplicity, flexibility and strength of the hollow carbon fiber rods pushed through and in the plastic tubing method used in my delta is great but once again adds cost. There's heaps of potential there.

I thought it looked great too, but on further inspection I see it as more trouble than looks are worth.:clue: Doppel the number of sticks, doppel the number of bridles, and doppel doppel the number of things that can -and so must- go wrong. :angryfire: Phooey on that noise!! :bwa: Back to the KISS principle and a 6 foot tall X 14 foot wide scale up of the design I just built. With the extra fabric maybe I'll take advantage of the different colored sides & cut 'n sew in some patterning. :cap:

Edited by Turtle

Surface winds at flying field N, gusty, and light. Laid out 200 feet of the new line by dropping the reel in the trike basket and running it through a carabiner anchored to the trike, then walking it out counting paces. Using the 7ft Conyne_delta I managed in a dozen tries to let out all 200 ' a couple times, but there were gusty upper winds with a layer of dead air around 120 feet. The one time I thought I had a chance to let out more line I found I had driven over the line with the trike and wound it round the rear axle a couple dozen times. :doh: I put the flying line under-foot while I detangled and 20 cussing :cussing: minutes later turned to see the kite down on the ground. :omg:

No worries. :lol: Will try this evening again. :thumbs_up

What about the rest of you brave souls? Dusting off your duffs and heading out to fly your kite? Headed to market to market to buy the right kite? :dogwalk: Hiding behind a curtain by the closet and hoping this will all blow over? :shy: Come out come out wherever you are!! :eplane: :fan: :0001:

Went for a nite kite sky lite flite delight. My infrared videogtapher did a bangup job of getting the launch and flight and then catching a midair breakup of the kite at 100 feet. The light is motion activated and I tugged the line so hard to activate it that I broke the cross spar. :doh: Kite folded neatly and dropped like a rocket. :omg: Spectaculabular!! :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiA2z_o1h-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6wLNG8F6Ng

Edited by Turtle

Why'd you use motion activated light instead of a simple continuous on? or better yet some lovely airbrushed on glow paint? An LED on the end of the wing tips firing inward so as to reflect off of the sail would have looked marvelous. OOO! or better! scavenged laser diodes....as the wind alters the sail shape slightly the beams would accordingly be altered drawing crazy patterns on the sail.

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Why'd you use motion activated light instead of a simple continuous on? or better yet some lovely airbrushed on glow paint? An LED on the end of the wing tips firing inward so as to reflect off of the sail would have looked marvelous. OOO! or better! scavenged laser diodes....as the wind alters the sail shape slightly the beams would accordingly be altered drawing crazy patterns on the sail.

Just used what I had on hand. Those are all good ideas you have :thumbs_up and I will be applying them in greater or lesser degree as I play in the coming days and weeks. :cap:

Where's the "It's been a while" option for the poll?

Once every 10 years? work for ya? :lol:

So this evening I put a flag on the line 100 feet from the kite and put the kite up on a measured 500 feet of line. Using a clinograph I measured the string angle at 35 to 42 degrees just above the reel. All around great flight. Bob's yer uncle!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPGHpCp-Ik4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTC_9owXFVk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiDIgwwtUxDi7fxhELuBtxg

Edited by Turtle