Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

___What kind of snows did you have this past Winter?
Being inherently lazy one of the factors of deciding me upon buying my present home was the expectation that I would be snowed in for a day or two once or twice a year. North East of Scotland, 100m altitude, more than ten miles from the coast, off the main highway, 3/4 mile up a single track road (uphill). It seemed a foregone conclusion.

Twenty years later and I haven't been snowed in once. I was, however, snowed out once. Driving to collect my wife from a nearby town at 10.00pm in the evening I made it down the hill OK. Driving back up proved impossible. That was around the time I wished I had had the good sense to change from slippers to boots before setting out. 3/4 mile through a blizzard in slippers is not something I would now recommend. :eek_big:

Here's some links I use to follow hurricanes:

National Hurricane Center

Naval Research Laboratory

BoatU.S. Hurricane Center

Hurricane and Storm Tracking

National Radar (click map to zoom)

NWS Satellite Imagery

As of this post the long range radar loop out of New Orleans shows a good look at Katrina approaching Louisiana. Go to the National Radar map, click on New Orleans and then click "Long Range Loop" in the upper left portion of the nav bar

• 2 weeks later...

___Nice C1ay! Here is a new article on an act of Congress to establish government weather control department:

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/09/06/9600160_Weather_Modification/index.html

___I thought we had a thread on that topic, but the search didn't turn it up. I might have put it in the "Chemtrails/Contrails", but they don't specifically mention that method in this new article.

___Stunning stuff; have at it! ;) ;) ;) ;) :shrug: ;)

Sounds kinda scary to me, but I'm always amazed at Mom Nature's ability to scoff at man's folly with regard to "The Control of Nature" (one of my favorite John McPhee http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=stripbooks:relevance-above&field-keywords=%252522John%252520McPhee%252522&search-type=ss&bq=1&store-name=books books mentioned in another obvious thread else where).

Related note of course, Sen. Rick Santorum is spending most of his time these days trying to pass a bill that will prohibit any government agency from providing weather or mapping data for free that is available for a fee from a private provider, although they will be required to give it away to those private providers. I keep asking myself how that serves the public interest...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05126/499873.stm

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=795841&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/news/epaper/2005/04/21/m1a_wx_0421.html

Hypo-PIRG,

Buffy

• 2 weeks later...

___Hurricanes often spawn tornadoes as they come ashore so it's entirely possible the photos include both.

___I have settled in to watch the full coverage of Rita as she comes ashore in Texas. Sounds at least like folks have better prepared this time. I don't wish any harm, but I love a good storm. :rolleyes:

PS I took a closer look at Skippy's photos; the 3rd one seems to show at least 2 funnel clouds. Remember it is a funnel cloud if it is up in the air, if the funnel comes down onto water it is called a waterspout & if it touches down on land it is then called a tornado (some folks call a tornado a cyclone).

Rain! We have rain! My little woodlot hasn't seen any rain since about the 2nd of Septemer & that was a measley 3/100's of an inch. One of the dryest Septembers on record here :Waldo: they say. I haven't checked the gauge yet, but it was raining when I woke & continues falling steadily.

---Weather Word of the Day - mizzle

:Waldo: I think these are photos of a tornado, not a hurricane.

Uh....they are all from Hurricane Katrina... One happens to be of a tornado which, as Turtle pointed out, are frequently associated with hurricanes. In fact, it is the tornadoes which are the biggest fear for those of us who live inland in the hurricane prone areas.

Here we arrive at 9 hours from my noon post & it is still raining; I just emptied 2.25 inches :Waldo: from my gauge. Traffic accidents, road closures due to flooding, & bad hair have ruled the day. The slides usually lag, but I expect some. I made some rudimentary terraces on my slope as I cleared the brush so I expect to see by tomorrow how well they work. Where is the Morton Salt when you need it. This is the Pacific Northwest I signed up for. :hyper:

we had some incredible lightning here a few days ago, was right on top of me - the sky was lighting up as if it was day for seconds at a time - so I went and stood in the rain for a better look, not the most intelligent thing to do, but there where plenty of tall trees around... :Waldo:

• 1 month later...

___Over the last 5 days, I have emptied over 4 inches of rain out of my gauge. The forcast a wind storm for last night, but it never materialized.

___As we have under discussion ice ages in another thread, & the uncertainty if we are tipping into another, I want to connect that to my recent rains. In general, an inch of precipitation falling as rain, yields 10 inches of snow if it's cold enough. So, that's 40" of snow in 5 days.

___We recently had rain storms in US that dropped several inches per Hour of rain. Let's see, 2 inches per hour & a 10 hour storm, plus cold temperatures = 200 inches of snow. Let's make it a 3 day storm just to keep it lively. 600 inches of snow? Is this possible.

___Wet in Washington, Turtle :friday: