Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

___Firstly, a rain incantation for Texas, and per se their generally dry area.

May a full easy rain from the East settle your dust & quench your fires this week.

___Hereabouts, the heavy rain continues as does the flooding and landsliding. Mountain passes above snow level have avalanche and mudslide closures, and slow going on chains-only traffic. My house is situated on an old slide (Missoula Floods era); so far the slope seems to look OK, but the seams in the sheetrock have started cracking & I may have to evacuate.

___Currently: 54 deg F. Barometer 29.7 Cloudy with occasional clearing.:beer:

It rained here again today... I think I may just be starting to buy into this whole incantation thing... :hihi:

Good luck on your end too Turtle. A similar lack of slide incantation to you and those around you. If you have to evacuate, try Texas. I'll buy you a beer. :beer:

Cheers. :lol:

___Current conditions:

Temperature 50 Deg. Fahrenheit

Barometer 30.00 Inches of Mercury

Wind 12 MPH & Gusty

Skys Cloudy

___What they have called the "biggest" storm of the season is forecast to reach me later this evening. Winds 50+ MPH, & heavy rain driven up from the South by a high pressure gradient.

___The walls in my house have started cracking & even though I see no slide activity on the immediate slope I found in county records that I sit on an old slide. I plan to keep my video cam rolling in case one of the 500 year old Oaks on my slope goes down in the wind. The birds at the feeders have started gulping their food; I always wonder where they all hide out from the storms & so nearby as to show up at the first break?

___This concludes my irregularly scheduled blogcast.:cup:

___What they have called the "biggest" storm of the season is forecast to reach me later this evening. Winds 50+ MPH, & heavy rain driven up from the South by a high pressure gradient.

Do you think Clooney and Wahlberg will show up in a boat anytime soon?

Kidding... best wishes. If you see a boat full of two of every animal, try to jump aboard (and teach them about evolution while you're there :D).

:cup:

:)

Do you think Clooney and Wahlberg will show up in a boat anytime soon?

Kidding... best wishes. If you see a boat full of two of every animal, try to jump aboard (and teach them about evolution while you're there :)).

:singer:

:cup:

___I don't know those fellas, but I heard on the grapevine that Mel Gibson owns some property somewhere nearby up the hill.

___Speaking of hill, my situation is definately precipitous. I sit on the last 70 or 80 feet of elevation above the Columbia River on a steep slope which rises another 300 feet or so on:Waldo: my uphill side. For the last 6 months large excavators have continuously worked to strip & contour the high slope some 50 or so below the crest. Next is a major highway, then new construction on an entire block just across the street. With over 17" of rain already & a major storm on the way, and cracks in the walls, I thinks it's going to get pretty bad here.

___I intended to hang at 3111, but as I can't trust tomorrow, screw that. More reports to follow.

How was the weekend Turtle? Much ado about nothing I hope...

___The storm reached me rather weakened; most of the power outages (about 20,000 region wide) occured in the coast range. although a few houses in Portland metro area suffered major damage from falling trees. I only received 3/10 inch of rain from the storm & moderate winds. Today was dry & sunny & they have forecast dry weather for the coming week.:Waldo:

Thank God for dry weather here in the West by Northwest and North by Northwest regions.

It was beginning to feel like India during Monsoon season!

Today was an exceptionally nice winter day!

Rode my bike to and fro school!

Guess the Groundhog didn't see his shadow eh?

Fingers crossed.

Thank God for dry weather here in the West by Northwest and North by Northwest regions.

It was beginning to feel like India during Monsoon season!

Today was an exceptionally nice winter day!

Rode my bike to and fro' school!

Guess the Groundhog didn't see his shadow eh?

Fingers crossed.

Don't know how that double posted but it did!

I only received 3/10 inch of rain from the storm & moderate winds. Today was dry & sunny & they have forecast dry weather for the coming week.:Waldo:

Glad to hear it mate. I always love the day after a heavy rain. At least, here in TX, the air is clean and refreshing and the sky seems bluer. The plants have new growth and are greener (a welcome change from their normal burnt brown/beige colors)... the waters are flowing, the animails singing...

Okay, I think I just turned into Mary Poppins for a second there. Enjoy the weather! :Waldo:

• 2 weeks later...

Today's weather extreme is high winds (40 mph steady with higher

gusts) coupled with below normal temperatures. Wind chill is currently a very real helath risk, so I plan to stay in as much as possible. I had to go out & recover blowing debri around the house already, & falling trees present an ever present danger to my house.

Sign me, "hangin' on for dear life!".

;)

The sky is falling!

The bird feeders just blew off the upper deck & I had to go out to retrieve them. Buuuuurrrrr:eek: ;)

Current Conditions:

Temperature 24 deg F. & falling

Winds:28 to 40 mph

Barometer: 30.3 inches

Precipitation: None

Forecast: More of the same with increasing intensity.;)

• 4 months later...

It's winter here in South Africa, and where I live the maximum temperature for today is a "freezing" 17C... :hihi:

:) You should be in durban from that temp? Or is it just a nice day in joburg today? Down here on the tip of africa i'm shivering in 16 degree weather - and very overcast... Beautiful clouds though (Turtle you really should come down and see the weather down here in storm season, its so dramatic)