Science Forums

Can Science And Religion Coexist Peacefully?

kowalskil

No, I had perceived it to more likely be meant as faith in the religious sense. The reason I did not "jump all over" him is, actually, for the very reason that he made it quite clearly his personal faith; it did not come across as a statement of some "fact" which is not a supportable claim.

If I say which flavours of icecream I prefer, it isn't a claim that I must give support to.

The statements I made regarding the Bible are not semantic but are based upon the interpeting strategy I use (which I have posted on another thread). In regards to that interpreting method I am an expert and as such I could state emphatically, just as you can when you speak about your specific expertise.

This shows that garlic is good for you because it contains antioxidents, nutrients, etc. However, it never even mentions any sort of benefit for physical injuries (i.e. burns).

In cases of 1st and 2nd degree burns, a good sulfa-based topical cream can do wonders in a short time (two weeks) but severe burns (3rd degree) often need skin grafts:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/burns.html#

The statements I made regarding the Bible are not semantic but are based upon the interpeting strategy I use (which I have posted on another thread). In regards to that interpreting method I am an expert and as such I could state emphatically, just as you can when you speak about your specific expertise.

I admit that I havn't been paying all that much attention to this topic, but I do not see how semantics are related to the topic.

This shows that garlic is good for you because it contains antioxidents, nutrients, etc. However, it never even mentions any sort of benefit for physical injuries (i.e. burns).

Do you suppose it's natural antibiotic properties might help to prevent or inhibit infection in physical injuries?

Can I ask how much of your body was burned and if the burns were 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree? The reason I'm asking, and I hope you don't mind, is because if it was severe and over a large area then for you to heal in 2 weeks is quite amazing.

The burns were on my back, about 14% of my body, and mostly 3rd degree burns.

In cases of 1st and 2nd degree burns, a good sulfa-based topical cream can do wonders in a short time (two weeks) but severe burns (3rd degree) often need skin grafts:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/burns.html#

The intibiotic cream I was prescribed, I believe was called silvidine, or silvadyne, someithing like that. One of the two doctors that treated me thought I should have been in the hospital, something I refused because I felt I was more likely to have some imunity to the bacteria in my home than those in the hospital. As for the garlick, I had heard it had anti-bacterial properties, and I had also heard it was good for the skin. The doctor who thought I should have been in the hospital snickered when I told him of my garlick regimen, but he also told me it would take at least a month for me to heal. I also believe meditation aids in healing, as well as attitude, and I don't believe prayer did me any harm.

I admit that I havn't been paying all that much attention to this topic, but I do not see how semantics are related to the topic.

I hope I used the word correctly, I looked it up. Semantics (significs) is the study of possible meanings and interpretations of words (signs, sentences). It's semantics because there is no definitive answer (Let's not argue about semantics.)

In regards to the translation of Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, it's mostly not semantics, we know the exact interpretation of words. However, very often when the same word is used in parables for example, it takes on a whole new meaning.

The interpreting strategy I use explains the exact meaning of the word in the context it is used.

Wow. Your recovery then in 2 weeks time is nothing short of amazing! I'm surprised they don't want to study you. Do you have scarring?

It has been about 15 years since my burn, and now there is very little noticeable scarring. You have to look for it to notice. The incident made me much more attentive when I'm welding. I no longer ignore the smell of smoke, and I never assume it's the sun on my back making me feel warm.

Wow. Your recovery then in 2 weeks time is nothing short of amazing! I'm surprised they don't want to study you. Do you have scarring?

It has been about 15 years since my burn, and now there is very little noticeable scarring. You have to look for it to notice. The incident made me much more attentive when I'm welding. I no longer ignore the smell of smoke, and I never assume it's the sun on my back making me feel warm.

“No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish”

~David Hume

“No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish”

~David Hume

The word miracle is overused but if Guys' quick healing was due to garlic or genetics or both, that's worthy of further study. It doesn't appear as though the doctor's followed it up so there is no way of knowing for sure.

Garlic is well-known for its many positive effects on the body and according to the following it has antibiotic properties, which could explain Guys' quick recovery:

http://www.suite101.com/content/why-garlic-is-good-for-your-health-a33780

I can't clam my healing was miraculous, and it is a little late to study how I was able to heal so quickl, and there was no control group to study. My story is merely anecdotal, as are many stories of faith. I don't rule out the power of the mind either. A few years ago we had a cow that gave birth to a rather large bull calf and became paralyzed in her hind legs due to a pinched nerve. We had the vet check her over and there were no broken bones, and calving paralysis does some times result from a difficult birth and is often temporary. Most vets I have spoken with have told me that typically if a cow can't get up within 48 hours, she won't.

Well, this particular cow kept trying to get up, and I kept taking care of her. She maintained a good appetite, and I was able to roll her from one side to the other a couple of times a day and give her some physical therapy to keep her from stiffening up. She seemed to have a strong will to live, so I could not bring myself to put her down. A week went by, she kept trying, so I kept trying. Then two weeks, then three. I was probably spending a total of two hours a day taking care of that one cow, and it was wearing me down, but her determination to keep trying to get up fed my determination to help her. On the fourth week, with a little bit of a push, she stood! She wobbled, and I had to lean on her to hold her steady, but she stood long enough for me to milk her with a machine. A week later she could walk, and after two months had passed, she was able to return to the herd, and she went on to be one of the highest producers! The vet was astonished.

Most cows, when they are unable to stand, just give up, but this one persisted. I'm fairly sure cows don't have religion, but I do know they all have their individual attitudes.

Religion wishes to dictate what is; however, this disagrees with what is found, and so there can hardly be any peaceful coexistence.

For example, evil spirits do not cause physical ills or mental ills referred to as sins; forms are not immutable; etc.