Science Forums

What do you believe?

Aemeth

me! me! i'm in high school too!

ok, my views are more or less congruent with most of the atheist viewpoints here, so i don't think there's a need to repost them, but i think just maybe aemeth has been reading only one side of the creationist/evolution debate here. most of these debates that are biased towards the creationist side are focussed upon only the attacking of evolution, and not the actual defense of creationism through scientific evidence. but anyhow, here's a good link:

http://atheists.org/evolution/

and i just loved the way buffy referred to "god" as a her. that's one of the things i haven't been able to understand either- why god is always portrayed in theology as a he, if by right god is supposed to be omnipotent and above such gender distinctions. maybe "he" was sexist?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the "smart" had to do with the fact that all yall must be a little educated or you prolly wouldnt be at these forums..it had no sarcastic intent aimed at "non-believers"..

i think he was ACTUALLY saying the opposite tormod. i think he was saying we are smart to already be here. or maybe i'm just tired, ahh hypography is confusing this early into the morning, and this late into the night.

i think he was ACTUALLY saying the opposite tormod. i think he was saying we are smart to already be here. or maybe i'm just tired, ahh hypography is confusing this early into the morning, and this late into the night.

You are right. He WAS saying the oppsite. My bad...apologies Aemeth! It was early morning for me... ;)

1) What do you believe about the origins of life? Why?

Life began through the random combination of certain molecules to form self-replicating molecules. Evolution favored those better at replicating, thus we came into existance.

2) What do you believe about the existance of God? Why?

I believe that there is a creator, and that it is close to the Christian idea of a loving, all knowing, omnipresent god, however, I don't believe in a personal god like the Christians do. I came to this belief after really trying to understand my world, and what I felt and thought about it.

3) Is there more than one way to God? Why or why not?

I think that god is close to what we would call truth, so yes, there are multiple paths to truth.

4) How do you determine right and wrong? Why?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. In theory, I don't believe in good or evil, right or wrong, but in practice, I try to treat others as they want to be treated.

5) How do you determine truth? Why?

I determine truth through logic, because it makes logical sense.

6) What happens when you die? Why?

I stop living. I don't really believe in an afterlife, and I don't think that a mind can exist seperate from a body.

7) What is a person's relationship to his/her fellow human being? How should they interact/treat one another? Why?

Humans must strive for the betterment of the human race, as for treating individuals, we should treat them as they want to be treated.

8) Is war ever good? Is it sometimes necessary? Why?

Yes, war can be necessary, but not good. It is necessary when dealing with someone who is powerful and unreasonable, however it would always be better to not need to have a war than to need to have one.

9) What is your stance on abortion? Why?

I think that it is wrong. By the time abortions are performed, the neurosystem is formed, partially, and the fetus can feel pain. If it is formed enough, the fetus can think. I think that once a mind is in existance, life is in existance, and it is not right nor good for us to remove that life.

10) What is your stance on same-sex marraige? Why?

I have no problem with it, it is simply different.

It's just that I know a few people who would make everyone who has posted so far (including me) look like 3rd graders intellectually who believe in God so surely that it isnt even believing for them its knowing.

Please invite them to join us. They'll find plenty of us to debate with here ;)

I try not to believe too much since I don't know more than what the scientists know. I do know it happened though. It probably began with selfreplicating molecules.

All of them are fictional, just as expected by something made up.

The only way to see god is to read the books or watch some movie in which some god is a character.

There is no objective right or wrong, good or evil.

The absolute truth is hard to determine. But logic and critical thinking goes a long way. Skepticism with an open mind. Try not to give in to wishful thinking, and if one does, acknowledge it for what it is.

That which used to be me cease to be me. The stuff that was me is all returned to the planet. Doesn't this happen to everyone though, and so our answers should be similar...?

7) What is a person's relationship to his/her fellow human being? How should they interact/treat one another? Why?

A non-hostile approach would probably work well in the initial stages.

It probably served a purpose once upon a time, or so they thought. However, it's perfectly possible to live in peace and cooperate instead.

It should be allowed up to a certain point.

Sure, why not?

I believe that no matter how hard we try, we will never know.

I believe that no matter how hard we try to find out, we will never know the truth, and if there is a God, he would not punish us for not knowing that he exists. If he would be so quick to punish, he would make sure that we knew he existed and he wouldn't make it our human nature to question things so often.

I doubt it, if there is more than one god though, I would think there would be a greater god who created them.

I go by gut feelings. If my gut feeling is bad in both cases, then I try to choose the path that will be hurtful to the least amount of people.

I don't understand this question, so I'll just say that if it can be proven via mathematical induction, then it is true.

I have a feeling that, to quote Dream Theater, "the spirit carries on". I have a slight belief in reincarnation. Why? Well, Why not?

I have to say I agree with what Jesus says, you should treat someone how you would like to be treated, even if they don't treat you as well. If abuse continues, just avoid the person all together.

No, Yes, because some people just need to be killed to stop doing evil things to other people.

To quote Bill Cosby "I brought you into this world, I can take you out!". Some people just don't have the capability to raise children, and they shouldn't have to be pregnant for 9 months of their lives just to give a baby to someone who, according to nature, shouldn't have children. There are enough unwanted children in this world, spare the kid and spare the rest of us, I know it sounds heartless.

I could really care less, since I am not a "man of faith". If it is offensive to those who are because marriage is supposed to have some religious base, then just give them the exact same rights and call it something else, maybe garriage?

I doubt it, if there is more than one god though, I would think there would be a greater god who created them.

Oh gosh, I haven't thought about this one in ages. And there doesn't have to be more than one: "If God exists, who created her?" Ad nauseum recursively, like Doug Hofstadter's "GOD is short for GOD over Djinn which is short for GOD over Djinn which is short for GOD over Djinn which is short for ...." ;)

Cheers,

Buffy

Aach! No. Please keep the believers away. Too many already in this forum.

But it's sooooo much fun to call on them to prove their claim, to cause them to doubt what they were once so sure of. Especially the one's that believe they're right and we're wrong because they think they're more intellectual than we are.

Ok, raum hasn't had a chance to get over here yet, but here is his response to the same questions I asked here..

1. The Origins of Life? How can there be such a thing as belief in regarding Life. The assimilation of matter converged and formed the First Cause, which produced the first three periodic elements Hydrogen, Lithium, and Helium. The ignition of the stars caused the hydrogen-lithium-helium mixture to fester, bringing forth the First Matter. This first matterWe are only alive as long as we have consciousness, therefore the key to the origin of life is contained in the mystery of consciousness.

2. The existence of God is not of a question of does he exist, but rather "how gods presence can be comepared to the human concept of existence. God is by proxy, an essence, not an existence. Whether essence preceeds existence is the debate that led to one of the most definitive stages of development in Philosophy, that of "existentialism."

3. What an arbitrary question! There are as many "ways" to God as there are beings who reach that destination. Each will have their own experience, yet those who travel closest often have the closest experiences. But still, if I am traveling between Ayhja on my right and Deeje on the other side (for example), AND Fapper is about three steps behind us carrying a bottle of we will each have this to say.

Adiriel = "Ayhja is on my right, and Deeje is on my left."

Ayhja = "Adiriel is on my left, and Deeje beyond him."

DeeJe= "Adiriel is on my right, and Ayhja beyond him."

all of us will agree, however, that fapper is behind us.

4. I don't determine right and wrong, society does. A single human has no reason for determining anything like right and wrong. Most of us at least tend to accept that and generally adhere to some of them, for it is a distinction that is based on a primitive set of repercussions for actions. Right and wrong have nothing to do with Morals, they are ethics, thus socially binding behavioral mechanisms.

5. Truth is discovered, revealed, and then disproved. Time tryeth truth. That is to say, that ANY given expression of truth is bound to a time-sensitive validation.

6. I will not experience death, even if i do experience being dead. i will experience every event leading up to it, but there is no sensation of the "loss of consciouness", just as there is no sensation of the "beginning of life." Can you recall when you "started to be consciosness", no. This is because consciousness is essence, not existence. Consciousness, completely unlimited by existence is God.

7. All mankind should respect the consciousness that we share. Every culture of man is based on this unlimited consciousness extending itself into "the people." Many do not extend this outside of their own sect, culture, or ethnicity, but it is consistent with Western Thought to extend this to all humanity, at the very least. What you do to offend any one person is to offend the bond of consciouness we share.

8. War is noble. Tyranny is not. War is defined when a party rises to the challenge of an invading or usurping force, who extend military action to impose upon others. War is a declaration that the principals of the party dictate an equal and opposite reaction to invasion or usurption. War is natural. The body fighting infection is the very epitome of War. War is the just meet of tyranny and invasion, which is never needed. The problem with war is we have seperated ourself from the reality of violence, and sensationalized it. The real question is "what absoluetly dictates any one cause for declaration of War, and what perameters should exist for consideration of the common goodwill of all humanity?"

9. Abortion is premeditated prevention of the development of a human life, that is in stages of development that are not clearly defined or understood by human science. Its a huge burden to make such a decision, so many people (especially those who have made the decision to have an abortion, or have a bias toward someone who has) try to simplify the possible ramifications and synthesize an "understanding of it." This is a necessary distinction for most people who support those who have the operation.

10. Even in Assyria, there was no same sex marriage. The common "soul mate conceptions" of marriage are from no later than 17th century france, where. They are completely rediculous. Marriage is not a commiting to love, but a dedication of security, and to ensure the prosperity of ones family legacy. The first person Biblically, to take a wife was Cain. He did so to claim her as his own, to perpetuate his bloodline, and ensure the persistence of the city he named after his son Unuk, (called Enoch in the bible). Same sex marriage is a perfect example of how humanity has the tendency to focus on the arbitrary nuiances of itss own inflated self-importance. There is no reason for limiting the relations of humans, but that is not the real issue. The real issue is that people perpetuate their bloodlines because they fear their own impermanence. The real problem is that it would greatly alter the American economy to allow same sex relationships marital benefits as characteristic in contemporary corporate culture, and would be harder to validate them.

vertical,

raum

Lots of good answers so far, the most openly biased being the last one.

I would just like to urge folks NOT to start debating the points that come up in the replies, but rather start new threads. The topics are simply too diverse and it would be hell in here if we try to dissect all the issues at once.

I would just like to urge folks NOT to start debating the points that come up in the replies, but rather start new threads. The topics are simply too diverse and it would be hell [emphasis Buffy] in here if we try to dissect all the issues at once.
Amen. :eek:

Cheers,

Buffy

1) I feel that I have no idea about the origins of life. There are so many possibilities. Perhaps we evolved from a lesser life form. PErhaps we originally came from another planet and were left behind. Perhaps a superior being created us. Perhaps we are a part of the Matrix.

2) My feelings on God are mixed. Life is so beautifully complex that it amazes me all the time, and I am hard-pressed to believe it just happened naturally. However, I don't feel that the Christian answer is exactly what I believe in God. I believe that God is the universe itself, all encompassing, neither good nor evil, but purely nature, without emotion. If I ever find myself "praying" to God, it is not in request for something to happen, but rather that I thank nature that my good fortune was in it's big plan.

3) I think that if there is any God as defined by any religion that I know of that the only real way to God is to think it out for yourself and decide what is truly right - blind following, pretending to believe, or putting on a show obviously would not matter much. Doing what you truly feel is right in any religion seems like the right way, in my opinion, whichever path that means in getting to God.

4) I personally determine right and wrong as the scope of what will be the most beneficial to the greatest number of people. To take what I need and occasionally what I want without being greedy about it, and to help others get what they need without sacrificing my basic necessities. I feel that wrong is the ignorance of the greater good.

5) Truth, to me, is nature, and beauty. It is acceptance of reality. It is not GW Bush. :eek:

6) I have several theories about death. I sometimes believe that living is the "hell" spoken of in so many religions; living is the hard part. Perhaps "heaven" is not being reincarnated. Perhaps the future of this planet itself will become the "hell" that I envision. I also sometimes think that maybe we live for awhile and then come back for another life at any random time - it could be a life 4,000 years ago.

7) I think that we are all the same species and that we have a tendency to want to be around each other and trust each other. I think our relationships are merely our interactions with each other and that technology will continue to restrict, enhance, and change the ways we interact with each other.

8) I feel that was is sometimes necessary, but never good. War is the last resort when someone loses the ability to function as a rational human and resorts only to physical violence. I feel that among intelligence, rational people, war should never have to happen; wouldn't that be nice? I equate war with dog fighting. It's also very psychological - one entity exersizing sovereignty over another. Once that happens, it's impossible for the "loser" to come out with any sense of pride in itself.

9) I feel that abortion should be used in certain cases only, and not as a birth control device. In cases of rape, incest, or where the birth might cause serious harm to the mother; not because Jane Doe got pregnant and decides she isn't ready for a child. There are plenty of people who are willing to adopt a newborn baby. I also feel that the paternal parent should get a say, even though that's a tough line to call when it's the woman's body. I don't like that the father seems to be ignored much of the time until it comes to financial matters.

10) I see no legal or ethical reason to deny same sex marriage. There is no extra cost in it for corporations as far as healthcare is concerned, it would be the same if they had partnered with opposite sexes; there should be no religious constraint, due to our supposedly secular government; and no person should be able to claim it's an offense to "marriage", because no person is involved in the union other than the two who are wed. Two people who are in love should be able to unite in a legal union just like anyone else, as long as they take the vows as seriously as they are meant to be taken (I wish every person thought marriage were sacred... maybe the marriage success rate would not be such a joke).