Science Forums

Can something move faster than light?

Tormod

Can something move faster than light?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Can something move faster than light?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

no not such a good point sorry - thoughts are just very complex chemical and electrical impulses around the synapses in your brain, which are also bound to stay <c..
I see you have not completed your Einsein 101,.. he hated Jung's model of Synchronicity. Even though the intrapsychic state and the objective event (thought vs thinking) may be sycchronous accoding to clock time and spatially near to each other, the objective event may, be quite distant in time and/or space in relation to the intrapsychic state (i.e. telepathy or i.e. clairvoyance, and so on). You seem to think one can go to a drug store and get a bottle of complex chemical juice mix it with a battery and Boing, Boing you got thought. Remeber the question is it traveling faster than light? Not what is it.

just because two things happen in close synchronicity doesnt mean its traveling faster than light - if you point a torch into the sky, and then sweep out a wide arc once the light gets far enough away the path the arc takes would take (or if you where shining it on something the beam) would go faster than light - but nothing here is actually exceeding c, its just a bunch of seemingly closely linked yet independant events happening in close synchronicity.

IOW, events at spacelike separation may have a common cause, in the intersection of their past light cones, but can't be one the cause of the other.

Actually, QM makes it a much more subtle issue but you can't use phenomenology such as singlet states to send a message.

I contend that the speed of thought travels from point A to point B instantly regardless of the distance…
Though by no means an unprecedented claim in fictional and paranormal literature, there is to my knowledge no scientific theory or experimental evidence in support of this claim.

There are certainly several very speculative theories suggesting that neurological activity may eventually be revealed to have novel properties resulting from quantum mechanics and the small size of neurological features – the work of Roger Penrose is often cited as an example of such speculation – but no credible theory suggesting signal speeds of any sort greater than the speed of light.

Although precise measuments of the “speed of thought” (”nerve conduction velocity”) is impractical to make for tissue within the brain, current best neurophysiological theory expects NCV to be of the same rough magnitude in all nerve tissues in all animals. The normal NCV of a human being is about 50 m/s, many orders of magnitude less than the speed of light.

Though by no means an unprecedented claim in fictional and paranormal literature, there is to my knowledge no scientific theory or experimental evidence in support of this claim.

There are certainly several very speculative theories suggesting that neurological activity may eventually be revealed to have novel properties resulting from quantum mechanics and the small size of neurological features – the work of Roger Penrose is often cited as an example of such speculation – but no credible theory suggesting signal speeds of any sort greater than the speed of light.

Although precise measuments of the “speed of thought” (”nerve conduction velocity”) is impractical to make for tissue within the brain, current best neurophysiological theory expects NCV to be of the same rough magnitude in all nerve tissues in all animals. The normal NCV of a human being is about 50 m/s, many orders of magnitude less than the speed of light.

I would like to be able to calculate iinfinite numbers, however -68 squared is to irrational and I really can't conceptualize a pratical unit, however the point needs to be asked differently (I realy appreciate and respect everyones idea),the question is can something travel faster than the speed of light. Do you mean can a particle of matter regadless of size travel at a velocity in miles per hour, that is greater than the measured velocity of "LIGHT". Or can anything arrive from point A to point B in less time than light. The answer is a most definite YES. The physical energy felt when someone comes into a room, can cause sweat to pop up on the brow, chills to run throughout the body, these are more results are much quicker than the limits or in your cases the boundaries you confine yourself to. I prefer to think out side of the box. Quantum Mechanics allows us to engage and invoke "NEW" ideas outside of e=mc2.

DORSEY

this is all well and good, but you have no proof.. also I cant think of a way to test (let alone proove you wrong) in the case of someone walking into the room and your brain subconciously reacting to it.. you cannot measure this..
Yes you can measure "This", and very easily. Close your eyes and think of a light inside of a dark space. Less than one second ago there was no picture or thought of what you just performed, now you have a picture, thought, you were thinking and there is a permanent scar on the table of your mind. Whatever you realized was passed to you from your DNA, "which is measured" , and it will be with you forever, it was already there anyway. We are dealing with "nanoseconds" and level 4 "Quantum Mechanics" now "which have been measured" and what is known as "EMERGENT PROPERTIES"; These are properties that have never existed before in your mind, and you did not know what these properties were going to be before they existed. If e=mc2 and 1 nano= 10 billion over 1, than:

{x . nano . [e=mc2]= moment of thought}, which = SYNCHRONICITY. Remeber I tried to ask you, that the space-time continuum is only a possesion of the singular consequence of e=mc2 and not limit yourself to that, remember a continuum is a set of elements such that between any two of them a 3rd element is present. Your brain is like a box that captures all kinds of stuff then distributes to the proper channels subconsiously and cognazine. Use both and help me demonstrate that real matter does travel faster than the limits of "THE SPEED OF LIGHT" (smile), You and yourself have to travel faster than light to slow down long enough to see it.

DORSEY

IOW, events at spacelike separation may have a common cause, in the intersection of their past light cones, but can't be one the cause of the other.

Actually, QM makes it a much more subtle issue but you can't use phenomenology such as singlet states to send a message.

My friend you have explained the basis for e=mc2, however you are not a colliding photon, if A collides with B then , A1 and B1 will instantly exist. Matter can not be created or destroyed, however, it can be positioned in another state. If you put sugar in your tea, you have suddenly caused an intereaction of , natrual influence-molcular interchange .. positive infusion ..of like or, simular photonic interaction, when lessor molecular particles as "red spectrum light" bounce off of a similar (wave) at the same peak it will , "Gather" and become larger or more brilliant, but the same wave at an angle will discount the fusion and would appear to be a constant stream. The separation would not be able to be equated, instead the stream would be a "QUANTUM" of like QM an extream would exist until the norm or, (Synchronicity if this is a thought) were, either an "Emergent Propertie" (a third intergect would appear), or the fuel for energy disipitated from one or both presumptive causes. Yes one can be the cause of the other, just as "Space-Time" is accepted so is the space-time-continumm accepted, my friend the difference is "Between any two elements a third element exist", when you examine the speed of light you have to stop it long enough to prove you prognosis, when you alter its path you have warped the space-time , or pure e=mc2, the distance from point A to point B, is space and time. A 12 foot by 12 foot rock, on top of a 12,000 by 12,000 foot hill, is no larger than your head on your body. If a bee lands on your head or the rock does the weight of the bee effect either you or the rock differently? Or is it that you can feel the BEE and the Rock can't? Or is the space of size of the rock the differance. Or are you afraid that you might be stung by the BEE?

DORSEY

Mr. Dorsey,

You either don't understand Einstein, or Quantum mechanics, or biology, for that matter. The speed of something that doesn't exist can't be measured. A 'thought' is the name given to a certain combination of brainwaves that we might perceive as a 'thought'. Yet, it doesn't exist as a single entity, and the only speed we can associate with it, is the speed as written in the previous posts, 50m/s as the signal travels through the nerves.

There is no proof that QM has anything to do with our thoughts, or with the origins of it, and using that in your argument will be a bit presumptious. Bring the goods.

:confused:

What would the benefit be of something moving faster than the speed of light?

Humans will not travel at that speed. All mass would need to be converted to energy.

The light from the sun and stars will not get here any faster than the speed of light.

The speed of light is fast enough I think.

Its so fast its beyond my thinking ability really.

Where are those advanced aliens at!?? :Alien:

Mr. Dorsey,

You either don't understand Einstein, or Quantum mechanics, or biology, for that matter. The speed of something that doesn't exist can't be measured. A 'thought' is the name given to a certain combination of brainwaves that we might perceive as a 'thought'. Yet, it doesn't exist as a single entity, and the only speed we can associate with it, is the speed as written in the previous posts, 50m/s as the signal travels through the nerves.

There is no proof that QM has anything to do with our thoughts, or with the origins of it, and using that in your argument will be a bit presumptious. Bring the goods.

I have often promised several firms that have to deal with maximum floor coverage for customer care, with the least amount of personel at any given time. (It never fails that either ten people needed attention or no one was in the place at all.)(i.e. 7-11's, Liquor Stores, Print Shop's(such as KINKO), Giant FOOD etc.. One day, we will be better able to plan for surges in traffic. This phenomenon of unrelated people appearing at the same time in the same place for the same reason would always be at a time that a single employee was either on a customer phone call with 2 lines waiting or taking care of bio-needs, when they arrived. I tell you egg-head, you come up with the pattern reference and all of this important jar-jar will be part yours! Don't even think you know anything about the silly asumption you just made. 50m/s is an acceleration formula based on a constant, if you were paying attention instead of trying to appear smart.. the word instanteous would overide you theory of point acceleration at which an angle of change relative to the constant speed or going at amax of 50m/s and slowing down to 6.6m/s to change direction WOULD NOT APPLY> or< we are not speaking of the same common question. Go back and re-read your stuff.

DORSEY

:confused:

What would the benefit be of something moving faster than the speed of light?

Humans will not travel at that speed. All mass would need to be converted to energy.

The light from the sun and stars will not get here any faster than the speed of light.

The speed of light is fast enough I think.

Its so fast its beyond my thinking ability really.

Where are those advanced aliens at!?? :Alien:

Racoon you are cool people..I think Boerseum is an Alien from planet Zeon, it is only a thought away, however his time-space evaluation will take him five billion years to get home instead of a nano-second.

DORSEY

Don't even think you know anything about the silly asumption you just made. 50m/s is an acceleration formula based on a constant...

DORSEY

Right...

Call me an alien, I don't care, but 50m/s is by no means an accelerarion equation. That would've been 50m/s squared. Have you got anything to contribute here, or are you simply gonna keep spouting stront?