Science Forums

Bunch of dam nonsense

stanleyg

Do I believe in Christ? Yes, I most certainly do. Am I a Christian? Yes, by all means I am.

Well then am I religious? Frankly, I am not. That is a bunch of dam nonsense. How can I be a Christian and not be religious? My answer is that religion espouses the doctrines of hating those as enemies who violate the laws of the Ten Commandments.

Christ espoused the doctrines of loving our enemies. The nearer I am drawn to Christ the further I am drawn away from the hatred that comes out of the laws of religion. The only thing I know is love. I even love those who despise me.

Do I love terrorists, murderers, rapists, or homosexuals too? If some murdered my son or raped my daughter could I love them too. I love all mankind no matter who they may be or what they may do. I may not love what they do or how they live. Yet, I do love them. I forgive their sins and pray that God forgives me for mines.

If what I am saying is a bunch of dam nonsense to you, then I doubt very seriously if you can follow after the doctrines of Christ.

of course one does not have to be a christian to love 'terrorists, murderers, rapists or homosexuals'. i try not to confuse people with the things that they do but i keep having to remind myself that those who arrogantly mock religion have personal issues an insecurities guiding such actions as well. we are all victims from birth here on the blue planet.

I agree with Mr. Stanleyg, I am a Christian, but I do not call myself "religious", I carry no hatred towards anyone, and I love my neighboor.

Even though everyone, including myself, are sinners, I tend to avoid people who I know that live a life of sin. I don't hate them, but in 2 John, the Bible says do not let teachers of false doctrine into your home, or greet them, or dine with them at your table.

Just because I love and do not hate, doesn't mean I can't think something is still wrong, and I will never encourage anything that bible says is a sin, or say I'm Ok with sin.

Yes I also believe that Christ was a historical figure along with Budda and other enlightened human beings.

Love is the Key to our existance and yet as far as I am aware no scientist has ever discovered anything about the nature of love. what it is ,where it exists and where it comes from.

It may try to be explained away as neural impulses or a combination of emotions, or emanating from the brain or partly all three but I doubt whether anybody would deny that love exists.

I believe that Christ along with others have tried to guide mankind into living a loving existance and none of them wished to be followed, because the act of following is the basis of all religeon.

Rather they wanted us to find our own path to enlightenment by example.

Someone said, When someone points a finger at the moon you dont look at their finger.

Mr. Morphyous,

You say they want us to find our own path to enlightlenment, but when I look at the biblical text, and quotes by Christ, such as "I am the way, the truth, and the light, no one gets to the father except through me" It seems like he is saying "follow me" in a way. Also;

:cup: Love matters, but it is not the only thing that matters :)

The only reason why he allegedly said that is so that people are afraid to change their ways. Not only that, so that people would always believe, even 2000 years later...

We may have differences of opinion, but my point remains the same; is appears

Christ does not want his followers to follow their own path to enlightenment,

but rather follow his. (In reference to Morphyous reply) Christ does not point his finger at the moon, he points it at himself.

Mr. Morphyous,

"I am the way, the truth, and the light, no one gets to the father except through me" It seems like he is saying "follow me" in a way.

I believe that his life is an allegory for the spiritual journey that everybody must take. An allegory for the journey of the soul. The lords prayer tells us to say "Our Father" which means that God is also our father in the same way that Jesus was the son of God. Jesus was pointing at the Moon but followers were looking at the finger.

Love matters, but it is not the only thing that matters

Can you give me an example of anything good and true which is not affected by love ?

I believe The essence of life is the expression of love and truth. There may be other expressions, hate being one, but they are not worth persuing.

By the way, I'm not religeous either.