Science Forums

Bunch of dam nonsense

stanleyg

Awesome points telemad.

what???? america is practically all believers, that makes no sense.

Yes, though we are free here in america, the media, most of the international world, disagree with us. While most americans are stastically Christian, you will find very few whole believe everything in the bible and live the life of a true Christian.

Nazis didn't kill for atheism. They killed for Nazi(ism?)

or was that just the name of their party, and they praised the godless nothing? I don't know much about WW2, just what I learned in my sophomore year of high school.

Just because I don't believe in god, and I got out and kill a bunch of people, I didn't kill for atheism. Religion isn't the backbone of everything.

lol... were you not reading along? Telemad said that he'd never heard of anyone being killed for atheism.

-jp

I (too) don't know enough about WWII to make any definitive statements, but I have heard - although it was from a Creationist propaganda video - that Hitler used ideas of evolution to justify his acts. But I've also heard that Hitler spoke of God a lot in his speaches.

But I've also heard that Hitler spoke of God a lot in his speaches.

Here's one sight that supports that.

Hitler wrote: "I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.." As a boy, Hitler attended to the Catholic church and experienced the anti-Semitic attitude of his culture. In his book, Mein Kampf, Hitler reveals himself as a fanatical believer in God and country.

(http://www.nobeliefs.com/Hitler1.htm)

when you touch base on religon in general, you spark a fire in most people. When faith is involved no one knows ANYTHING except what they themselves believe, and they will defend it to the end. No one was there for christ to know exactly what he has done, nor (at least I think) could it be described in words that our concious brain could understand.

I think following christ is something that people do because alot of people seem very lost in this big intimidating world. a place that never ends and has infinite possiblities.

what you are saying does not sound like nonsense.. though it does not sound like "sense" either. For each individual has their own interpretation of what it right, and good and true.. and in that uniqueness that we as a species contain, lies the key to faith, our belief in ourselves.

I can't speak for him/her, but there are reasons for unbelievers to get worked up. For example, because the believers like to try to stick their noses where they don't belong ... the public school system. How many recent attempts have their been to require stickers in textbooks saying the evolution is "only a theory", or attempts to get Intelligent Design taught in school, as well as the many attempts to get Creationism taught in school a few years ago.

Also, how many bloody wars have been caused by disagreements over evolution? I know of known. Now, how many bloody wars have been caused by disagreements over religion? A multitude.

whats with all the us and them stuff? 'those believers know nothing' and 'they and their religion can go suck a proverbial egg'? i think if you cracked open the jar of superficiality that contains the reality here you would come to find that even within gruop their is complexity and indecision.

why do 'their' noses not belong on school? is it because of the whole conditioning aspect? this may be why people complain about text books concidering i don't remember ever reading one that did emphasize that much of scientific knowledge concerning 'where we came from' is based on theory. i have always had a problem with the definitive tone of these books myself, how many people have i heard spouting justifications of crass sexuality or violence by calling up the 'facts' of natural selection and evolution to support themselves when they don't even really know anything about this stuff beyond the basic 'all life on earth evolved from a single cell organism...'.

as far as wars are concerned the only one i know of going on now has less to do with religion than it does money. but hey its really just about survival of the fittest, right.

Another reason to get worked up - at least as far are some religious views are concerned - is that other countries ridicule America for its being the world's hotbed of Creationism. Creationists give America an international black eye.

and the reason 'america is hated' is because of its materialism and secular superficiality.

Anybody who believes wholly in anything is a very dangerous person.

and religeon has proved itself to be extremely dangerous in the hands of dogmatists.

:eek:

first statement is completely false, opinion stated as fact. second statement is misleading, religion has proved only to be influential to dangerous creatures [homo sapians].

He was probably smart enough to just say that and not believe it, because he knew he would get more supporters. Who knows what went on in that mans head though, I just know he was one of the best public speakers of all time.

good point. there is an interesting book on how hilter managed this feat by aldous huxley called 'a brave new world revisited'. took alot lot of intellegent minds to come together and create one seriously (and effectively) sick one.

i'm sure there's more reasons than just materialism and secular superficiality.

probably, but i doubt religion is one of them. then there is china, the great example of how an aethistic government is so much more functional than a christian one (or at least one that poses as christian). and yes i am aware of how much more complex all of this is which is kind of my point.