Science Forums

Strange animal pics

Thunderbird

Hoatzin: Guyana's Prehistoric Throwback

The Hoatzin is a strange primitive bird. The Hoatzin's plump body and reddish-brown feathers may not appear antediluvian, but the bird's blood-red eyes set in patches of bright blue skin and unruly crest of long feathers are throwbacks to another time. Hoatzins are also born with two prehistoric claws protruding from their wings, a characteristic that lead many to believe that it's a direct link to the Archaeopteryx, the first known bird. Hoatzins are found along rivers and creeks in the Upper Demerara River-Berbice area in Guyana, and are easily seen because they often live in large groups and rarely stray far from their principal locals, probably due to the fact that they're poor fliers. Indeed, Guyana's national bird is such a bizarre species that it was put in its own order, the Opisthocomidae.

Man, those are some big kitties. :)

I said kitties. :)

Yeah I was going to post pics of some big ones I saw on the net the other day but then I realized I had the spelling wrong and I didn't want to get into the same type of trouble I did with the land mines. (black helicopters circled my house for days after that!) Just one letter seems to make all the difference sometimes, who knew!

As a fan of big kitties, you will probably enjoy this huge index of pics of boobies:

http://www.xenophilia.com/pics/boobies/

:)

Wow, and such big boobies too! Be careful Buffy will spank us both! :) I guess I like the boobies with blue feet the best but then I always have liked pretty feet! :hihi:

Red Panda

The red panda is dwarfed by the black-and-white giant that shares its name. These pandas typically grow to the size of a house cat, though their big, bushy tails add an additional 18 inches (46 centimeters). The pandas use their ringed tails as wraparound blankets in the chilly mountain heights.

The red panda shares the giant panda's rainy, high-altitude forest habitat, but has a wider range. Red pandas live in the mountains of Nepal and northern Myanmar (Burma), as well as in central China.

These animals spend most of their lives in trees and even sleep aloft. When foraging, they are most active at night as well as in the gloaming hours of dusk and dawn.

Red Panda, Red Panda Profile, Facts, Information, Photos, Pictures, Sounds, Habitats, Reports, News - National Geographic

Elephant shrewThey are widely distributed across the southern part of Africa, and although common nowhere, can be found in almost any type of habitat, from the Namib Desert to boulder-strewn outcrops in South Africa to thick forest.

Most remarkable thing of an elephant shrew is that it is actually more closely related to the elephant (and, incidentally, to the aardvark) than to true shrews or rodents.

I did not know that. after raking my brain another close relative of the elephant came to mind.

Hyraxes retain a number of early mammal characteristics; in particular they have poorly developed internal temperature regulation (which they deal with by huddling together for warmth, and by basking in the sun like reptiles). Unlike other browsing and grazing animals, they do not use the incisors at the front of the jaw for slicing off leaves and grass, and use the molar teeth at the side of the jaw instead. The incisors are nonetheless large, and grow continuously through life, in a similar manner to those of rodents. There is a short diastema between the incisors and the cheek teeth.