Science Forums

Strange animal pics

Thunderbird

They can be terrifying, though.

I once went on holiday with a male friend and his family. At about two in the morning he ran into my room screaming hysterically that there was something vicious and extremely ugly under his bed. I reassured him it was only a camel spider, but he wouldn't calm down until the critter had been removed. It did not enhance his reputation, not least because his emergence in his nightwear revealed a predilection for flannel pyjamas with cutesy teddy bears on them. :(

My mum also tells of the time she'd just left school and was staying in a boarding house when she was suddenly confronted by a camel spider. Terrified, she ran out, looking for help. The place seemed deserted, but she remember that shortly before a man had knocked at her door looking for another girl with whom he had a blind date. Without thinking twice or knocking, she stormed into the girl's room... and surprised a very scantily clad pair in a compromising position. :)

Just one thing about them, though... Unlike spiders, they tend to run at you when confronted.:hyper:

Camel Spider Stories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of new stories coming in all the time... Check back often

June 11th, 2008

This is my experience w/ these damn monsters they call spiders. I was stationed at Bagram Airbase w/ an MP company in Afganistan in 2003-2004, while walking back from the MWR minding my own bussiness daydreaming when I would be going home, I encountered a camel spider, had to have been at least 5 inches big, not including the legs, was walking beside me this scared the hell out of me and I broke into a trot. Well, there and behold, this thing still next to me which scared me even more, but was even more scarier was when it tried to jump onto my leg. I screamed like a little girl ( I AM A 5'10, 180 LBS. MAN) and took off running as fast I could trying to get away from this damn thing, it kept jumping on my leg and I would kick it off, it would jump back on my leg and again I would kick it off this went on for a few moments but it felt like forever ( I thought I was going to have a heart attack) I wanted to shoot it but thought that if I missed it I would really piss this thing off so I didn't. I kept running. I eventually got away from it and will never forget that nightmare, it'll haunt me forever. That encounter w/ the spider was worser then when I had a scorpian crawl up onto my foot while wearing shower shoes ( flip flops). Enjoy SGT. S.

April 15th, 2008

Hi! Filming in Ethiopia in the 70's, we came across some ugly looking brutes that were similar to the camel spiders. Called solifugae they raced everywhere and could clear diners out of a restaurant in short time! They munched anything they could get, and held large grasshoppers like sweetcorn and reduced them to nothing very fast. I'll see if I can find some stills, but these guys look related!!!!!!!!

Regards, D.H. in the UK

Dec. 12th, 2007

I was in Baghdad International Airport in 05 and me and my buddies saw this camel spider walking slowly across the sun drenched ground. The temp was 130 degrees and there was time to kill so I began throwing rocks at it. I knew it would come after me but I wanted to see for how long. This thing was about 6in long. Soon enough it stopped, turned toward my direction and slowly started moving slowly. I stepped back slowly laughing as I continued throwing rocks. I finally pissed it off which is what I wanted it to do. It bolted off toward me like a car and I ran. It started to slow down but still followed me. It didn’t want to give up so I threw a long cardboard box across its intended path to see what it will do. That smart thing just went around it and continued. Later it just gave up and went slowly on its way. I also remember that same time when one of my buddies caught a camel spider and put it in a box. My buddy then threw the box (with the lid open) inside our tent with 6 people in it. What happened next was hysterical. We heard everyone cursing and tripping over and things crashing in the tent and then stumbling outside. They were so mad and promised to get us back. They never did. The aggressiveness of these creatures amazes me, you would think they were trained tough and sent to our base from the insurgents outside.

Louis J. USAF

Nov. 11th, 2007

I lived in Ft.Irwin which is right outside Barstow in the middle of the Mojave Desert, we had MANY of these creey things running around. They were ALWAYS on my porch and a few times when I went to go outside the creey things would get on their back haunches and hiss at me!!! A couple of times after hissing at me they chased me into my house...lol. I know it wasnt because I was providing shade cause there was more of that on the porch. Also, a girl I knew got bit by one and she had this weird taste in her mouth for a day or two after that, she said it was almost vinagery.

Oct. 26th, 2007

I was in Iraq in 2003-2004 and had several experiences with these enormous, terrifying creatures. In my time in the military I've seen a lot of interesting bugs, but camel spiders are by far the worst. Never before have I been chased by a bug and actually ran screaming. I'm suppused to be a tough as nails infantryman who has already made it through the invasion of Iraq and this thing scared the crap out of me. I was walking around our extremely small FOB (Forward Operating Base) in Haditha, Iraq in my flip-flops and PTs when my buddy waved me over. He had spotted a camel spider amd wanted me to share in his adventure. We walked up to it slowly, being careful not to disturb it. The CS (Camel Spider) was about five inches in length and cruising around in the sand. After watching it for about a minute I decided to see what it would do if I threw a rock at it. Bad Idea! As soon as the rock landed the CS shot after us faster than anything bug I had ever seen. We both screamed and took off running. I jumped onto a nearby Bradley and the CS sped off into the night. I didn't try to find it. Another time I was on gaurd during the day on a road near this large field and I saw a huge one running away from me. This one was probably at least 8 inches long. It was enormous. I ran and grabbed something to catch this monster with but in the 15 seconds it took me to grab something it had disappeared. As far as I've seen, all the rumors are true. These things are extremely aggressive, fast, dangerous and, yes, they jump. They have no fear and attack humans! Try to step on one and miss and they might just jump after you! P.S. This is a great website. I've really enjoyed all the stories. Thanks

I guess most of the time they're just chasing your shadow... which probably accounts for one of their other names, solifuges. In South Africa they are known as romans (don't know why) or barbers. The latter comes from a myth that they chew off human hair while people are asleep.

I'm not afraid of them, although it did rather concern me when, making my way down a dirt road one summer night, I happened to shine my flashlight down - and caught several scuttling around my feet. Would rather have them than the scorpions and mambas also found in that district, though.

In the Blyde River Canyon where I had the above encounter, no-ever mentions camel spiders: They just can't be bothered - perhaps because they are too worried about the guys below. This was one of several hundred I found on the floor when I switched on the light in the living area of our holiday home...

It is a Parktown prawn (Libanasidus vittatus), which is indeed a member of the giant weta family. These critters eat almost anything, including snails, dog food, birds (pre-dead, I suppose) and even the timber of your house.

(Edit - Sorry, I only saw after I'd posted that the thread had gone on to the next page. This is a response to freeztar and Thunderbird's posts on the previous page.)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...