Science Forums

Strange animal pics

Thunderbird

Strange Fish Walking On Seabed - Video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/311582/strange_fish_walking_on_seabed/

The tiny spotted handfish, is one of Tasmania's most critically endangered marine fishes.

The World Conservation Union (IUCN) is calling for immediate action to preserve one of the most unusual marine creatures found off the coast of Tasmania.

The spotted handfish (Brachionichthys hirsutus) is a small and slow-moving fish species that uses its pectoral and pelvic fins to ‘walk’ rather than to swim. The species is endemic to the lower Derwent Estuary and its bays and channels, meaning that its is found nowhere else in the world. It occurs in only three small colonies of less than 200 adult fish each.

The entire clade is known as the Afrotheria, and is more or less completely accepted - though I'm not sure that the exact placement of some groups have been fully resolved. All groups are shown.

Thanks Mynah! :eek:

Ironically, I just spent about 20 minutes trying to find a good cladogram before I saw this post. I did come across the Afrotheria name and found this great site which you might want to check out. It has lots of info as well as references to journal articles. According to that page, you are correct in stating that the groups have not been fully resolved (the info there is two years old though).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What animal is this? The fossa (Cryptoprocta ferox)

Where does it live in the wild? In the forests and woodland areas of Madagascar and the small island of Saint Marie off the coast of Africa

Cool Facts:

• A powerful animal, the fossa stands about 15 inches tall and has a cat-like appearance that resembles a mountain lion with short legs.

• A nocturnal predator with excellent hearing, sight and smell, the fossa is also a proficient climber known to pursue and capture its prey in the trees.

• The largest carnivore (meat-eater) on Madagascar, the fossa eats lemurs and other small mammals, birds and reptiles.

Vietnamese mossy frog (Theloderma corticale)

Where can I see one? The Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Calif.

Where does it live in the wild? In the karst zones of northern Vietnam at elevations of approximately 3,000 feet, where it occupies flooded caves and deep niches on the sides of mountain streams

Cool Facts:

• This stout frog is as wide as it is long, about three inches in each dimension.

• The bumpy texture of this colorful creature, along with the red, green and black montage of colors, helps camouflage it from predators. When frightened, it will fold into a ball and play dead.

• Unlike other frog species, mossy frogs don’t typically hop to escape predators. Rather, they dive into water.