Science Forums

Strange animal pics

Thunderbird

One day the people of China will look back and realize what they lost wasn't worth what they gained. For some reason the Far East seems to be very hard on the animals that inhabit the land where they live. Population pressures no doubt and I know it's easy to point fingers but still many wondrous animals have been and are being lost that really need not be lost. I mean tiger bones as medicine? This lust for medicines and medicinal foods that have little or no value other than in the mind is not a course to take if you want to preserve the animals that live around you.

A prehistoric looking Horseshoe crab is bathed in the warm light of the morning sunrise on the Chesapeake Bay near Mathews, Va.,

Horseshoe crabs are considered to be living fossils because their appearance has not changed since their origin over 20 million years ago.

Horseshoe Crab

I found a big one several years ago, I was collecting clams in Corn Cake Inlet, scooting along in the shallow water on my belly feeling for clams in the mud and I suddenly felt this huge creature under me. It sacred me to death! It was the biggest Horseshoe Crab I had ever seen, probably 18" across. I thought I had a sting ray under me! It scooted back toward deeper water with no concern for me at all.

Borneo Clouded Leopard Classified as New Species

March 16, 2007

Surprising new research reveals the existence of two completely separate species of clouded leopards. In a study comparing differences in clouded leopard coat patterns and coloration throughout the cat's range, researchers concluded that individuals found on the islands of Borneo and Sumatra are markedly different from animals found on the Southeast Asian mainland. These observations have been supported by genetic testing that determined the two populations of clouded leopards are so distinct as to warrant classifying them as different species. Researchers estimate that the two species diverged approximately 1.5 million years ago due to geographical isolation.

Instead of their prior classification as a clouded leopard subspecies (Neofelis nebulosa diardi), animals in Borneo and Sumatra would be re-classified as a new species, Neofelis diardi, possibly to be named the Sundaland clouded leopard.

Borneo Clouded Leopard Classified as New Species

Welcome to the Clouded Leopard Project

Aardvarks live throughout Africa, south of the Sahara. Their name comes from South Africa's Afrikaans language and means "earth pig." A glimpse of the aardvark's body and long snout brings the pig to mind. On closer inspection, the aardvark appears to include other animal features as well. It boasts rabbitlike ears and a kangaroo tail—yet the aardvark is related to none of these animals.

Giant Anteater

Plated Pangolin Video -- National Geographic

As if bathed in moonlight, a giant spider crab (Macrocheira kaemferi) is illuminated by a diver's lamp in Japan's Izu Oceanic Park. Protected from some predators by its hard exoskeleton, the creature—which can grow to ten feet (three meters) wide—can also blend in with the ocean floor. Under deeper cover, it can disappear beneath the sponges and other marine life it uses to adorn its shell.

Photograph by David Doubilet

Giant Sea Creature Pictures, Giant Sea Creature Photos, Photo Gallery, Picture Gallery, Desktop Wallpaper ? National Geographic

Pelochelys cantorii (Cantor's giant soft-shelled turtle)

Matamata Turtle

Thorny Devil

stauroteuthis syrtensis

Pallas Cat

Clouded Leopard

Saiga is classified as critically endangered by the IUCN. There is an estimated total number of 50,000 Saigas today, which live in Kalmykia, three areas of Kazakhstan and in two isolated areas of Mongolia.

The Cassowary:

The Cassowary, voted the 'most dangerous bird on the planet' by the Guinness Book of World Records, is the largest land creature found on the Australian Continent and in Papua New Guinea; it is also the third-largest bird in the world, the first two being the Ostrich and the Emu. Since it is an inhabitant of Rain Forests and Rain Forests are rapidly shrinking, the Cassowary is high on the Endangered Species list.

Background:

The Cassowary belongs to the Ratite Bird Family. All Ratites are large, flightless birds that have been around for some 100 million years, since the long-gone days of Gondwanaland. This ancient family includes the Emu, the Ostrich, the Moa (now extinct), the Rheas, and the Kiwi

Kiwi