Science Forums

Strange animal pics

Thunderbird

just to clear the air we are in agreement on the sizes of the Animals in the pics I posted, although the gator looks to be a big one there is noway IMHO that it could as big as it appears, and I was wrong to state that the snake was a 9 footer when I have no proof of such.

I shall go and edit the snake now.

always your humble servant Doug.

just to clear the air we are in agreement on the sizes of the Animals in the pics I posted, although the gator looks to be a big one there is noway IMHO that it could as big as it appears, and I was wrong to state that the snake was a 9 footer when I have no proof of such.

I shall go and edit the snake now.

always your humble servant Doug.

What ever the exact length I would still say it is a BIG FREAKING SNAKE !

What ever the exact length I would still say it is a BIG FREAKING SNAKE !

I would estimate that snake to be around six feet long, big no doubt but not freakishly big. Around here a six foot diamond back is not unheard of. I know a guy who has a skin that is humongous, more than 10 feet long but snake skins can be stretched and when pressed he will admit it was about seven and a half feet before he stretched it (maybe still a little bit of an exaggeration:hihi:). A six foot diamond back would be a dangerous adversary if you stumbled on it, pissed it off, and couldn't retreat very fast. Fortunately diamond backs are not really aggressive try to avoid humans and many bites are dry bites. It is rare to encounter a diamond back in the wild unless you are actively looking for them, they tend to hide and will crawl away when they detect you coming and they do know you are coming way before you would see them. The snake has conscious control of whether or not it injects venom and they will often not inject or inject a small amount when biting something they know they cannot eat. If you enrage the snake it can give you several full bites in quick secession and you had better be near a hospital. One that big could bite you high on your body with devastating results. Cotton Mouth Moccasins are the ones I worry about, I was walking in the swamp one spring night to check a fish trap and I heard something hit the bucket I was carrying two or three times I moved aside and found a four foot cotton mouth beside the path trying to bite my bucket! I had a cotton mouth come out of the water and chase me and my two sons one evening when we were seining a small stream near our house. I had to use a large dipnet to keep him away while we packed up our stuff!

This strange cartilaginous fish uses its long snout to scan over the sea floor for the electrical impulses of its prey that bury in the muddy sea floor, just like a metal detector. Like other chimaeras (such as ghost and elephant sharks), these animals lay horny egg cases in which their young are left to develop, potentially for up to one year.

looks like a Pterodactyl fish.

I cannot get enough of this fellow.

Oarfish

The Colossal Squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, from Greek mesos (middle), onychos (claw), and teuthis (squid)), sometimes called the Antarctic or Giant Cranch Squid, is believed to be the largest squid species. It is the only known member of the genus Mesonychoteuthis. Though it is known from only a few specimens, current estimates put its maximum size at 12–14 metres (39–46 feet) long, based on analysis of smaller and immature specimens, making it the largest known invertebrate.

Unlike the giant squid, whose arms and tentacles only have suckers lined with small teeth, the Colossal Squid's arms and tentacles are also equipped with sharp hooks: some swiveling, others three-pointed.[1] Its body is wider and stouter, and therefore heavier, than that of the giant squid. Colossal Squids are believed to have a longer mantle than giant squids, although their tentacles are shorter.

The squid exhibits deep-sea gigantism. The beak of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni is the largest known of any squid, exceeding that of Architeuthis (giant squid) in size and robustness. The Colossal Squid is also believed to have the largest eyes in the animal kingdom.From Wikipedia

Real Life Sea Monsters - 24 Bizarre Creatures of the Deep : Who Sucks